New Policy - Merrimack, NH

Do with it as you may, but,

I have some inside information that the Merrimack, NH police officers have been told by one of their commanding officers that there are an increasing number of people openly carrying within the township and, if you are dealing with someone who is openly carrying a firearm and they are making you uncomfortable detain them for a background check and, if they are legal to carry, we'll release them.

I have some inside information that the Merrimack, NH police officers have been told by one of their commanding officers that there are an increasing number of people openly carrying within the township and, if you are dealing with someone who is openly carrying a firearm and they are making you uncomfortable detain them for a background check and, if they are legal to carry, we'll release them.
Hopefully, the town[STRIKE]ship[/STRIKE] of Merrimack has a large fund set aside for the inevitable lawsuits, especially in light of the NHAG's widely-publicized opinion that the constitutional right to keep and bear arms was not superseded by someone's "annoyance and alarm" at the sight of a gun.

I consider Pro-Gun New Hampshire to be the least "provocative" in asserting gun rights, but this comment from Sep '09 from their EVP/CEO shows just how "mainstream" open carry is becoming:
Police in parts of New Hampshire may still react negatively to open carry on the street and other public places, and may detain you -- but if we allow for scare tactics to be used by police and others to stop open carry then we allow the right to devolve into a non-right. Now that the right to keep and bear arms is becoming more accepted in public consciousness, we believe the momentum should continue.
I was stunned (in the good way) when I read it.

Last edited:
Hopefully, the township of Merrimack has a large fund set aside for the inevitable lawsuits, especially in light of the NHAG's widely-publicized opinion that the constitutional right to keep and bear arms was not superseded by someone's "annoyance and alarm" at the sight of a gun.

What Scott said. [STRIKE]I don't think they're that stupid.[/STRIKE] I hope they're not that stupid.

I live in Merrimack and this is news to me. I've open carried at Shaws and a few other places. My limited interactions with the local PD have been generally positive. I'd expect more problems in Manchester or Nashua.

EDIT:
Merrimack is not a "township", we are a town.

I have never open carried in Merrimack but my conversations with multiple town officials have led me to believe Merrimack is a gun friendly town. In fact open carry was addressed a year or so ago when I attended training for Merrimack assistant town moderators. We were told that people open carrying while voting were well within their right to do so and that while voting may be taking place on school property or private property (depending on the location in town) any rules or laws that would apply at other times (such as gun free school zones or private property owners rights) were not relevant since voting was taking place there and their right to vote and bear arms was not to be infringed.

However none of the town officials and employees I have spoken with about guns have been police officers (with the exception of the dispatcher handing me my pistol permit) so I can not say for sure how the police would handle the situation described in the first post.

-Nat

I have never open carried in Merrimack but my conversations with multiple town officials have led me to believe Merrimack is a gun friendly town. In fact open carry was addressed a year or so ago when I attended training for Merrimack assistant town moderators. We were told that people open carrying while voting were well within their right to do so and that while voting may be taking place on school property or private property (depending on the location in town) any rules or laws that would apply at other times (such as gun free school zones or private property owners rights) were not relevant since voting was taking place there and their right to vote and bear arms was not to be infringed.
Wow. This is great stuff. Very progressive (in the true sense of the word, not the hijacked liberal version.)

The memo was issued by one of the commanding officers of the police department to the police officers last week. I know at least one person who informed the commanding officer responsible that it was a "bad policy" and the implications of the policy.

I have some inside information that the Merrimack, NH police officers have been told by one of their commanding officers that there are an increasing number of people openly carrying within the township and, if you are dealing with someone who is openly carrying a firearm and they are making you uncomfortable detain them for a background check and, if they are legal to carry, we'll release them.[/QUOTE]
This reminds of a "catch and release" program I heard about many years ago, but I thought it only applied to rogue bears and illegal aliens. [wink]

Is there some venue up there where we can have an OC dinner or something?

Would be fun to watch them conduct "checks" on 100 people openly carrying firearms. [laugh]

-Mike

Would be fun to watch them conduct "checks" on 100 people openly carrying firearms. [laugh]

-Mike

I'm game.
I'll even carry my M&P Pro.
Since it won't shoot I can prove that it's not really a danger to anyone.

-Mike

silos. book for a party of XX, and don't tell em we'd be OCing. what are they gonna do, turn us away? the food is damn good there too.

However none of the town officials and employees I have spoken with about guns have been police officers (with the exception of the dispatcher handing me my pistol permit) so I can not say for sure how the police would handle the situation described in the first post.

-Nat

I would never test their theory that somehow school carry is OK during voting. Even in NH. I would take it more as a expression of their 2A willingness than a true mandate that this is OK.

I used to work there over ten years ago, and my wife is friends with the owner.

really? any way you could get a gauge of his (or her) take on hosting such an event? that would really bring up the "caliber" of OC events.

I would never test their theory that somehow school carry is OK during voting. Even in NH. I would take it more as a expression of their 2A willingness than a true mandate that this is OK.

The subject came up during moderator training because it had happened a few years prior. A resident came in to vote at the middle school while open carrying. I can't recall if the incident escalated to the point of police contact but it was clear that it had been done before and it was to be allowed to be done again.

-Nat

really? any way you could get a gauge of his (or her) take on hosting such an event? that would really bring up the "caliber" of OC events.

He was a really good boss, but that being said, I haven't talked to the guy in over ten years. My wife sees him about once a month at her work, I'm sure she could find out for us. I'll put her on it.

...if you are dealing with someone who is openly carrying a firearm and they are making you uncomfortable detain them for a background check and, if they are legal to carry, we'll release them.

What if you aren't open carrying and you make them uncomfortable?
I frequently make people uncomfortable just by walking into a room.

inside information from who? the Merrimack PD? a selectman? or some dude you know who got it from his brother's sister's cousin? if you want, i can verify this information for you with a 30 second phone call.

If you can verify or bust this with a quick call timber then make it happen! If it's bs then it's a waste of a thread, if it's true than I'd say it's cause for an open carry event.

What if you aren't open carrying and you make them uncomfortable?
I frequently make people uncomfortable just by walking into a room.

Well, perhaps you should have taken everyone's advice and stopped wearing the ripped bloody shirt, hockey mask and swinging that machete around everywhere. We're all worried about you man.

Too many sheep from MA pollute Nashua. I had a few stares at a restaurant within spitting distance of MA when I was open carrying one day.
OC NES lunch? Just please leave the rifles home - they're too awkward at the table.

Merrimack or Nashua? I'm in favor of Nashua, myself.

silos. book for a party of XX, and don't tell em we'd be OCing. what are they gonna do, turn us away? the food is damn good there too.
What kind of food do they serve?

Back
Top Bottom