New Acquisitions for April 2007

MVC-004S-1.jpg

I got this one in april. 4" M629

Nice looking revolver. It could use some nice wood grips. How does it shoot?

Nice looking revolver. It could use some nice wood grips. How does it shoot?

This is my first .44 and the recoil takes some getting used to. As long as I don't flinch it seems pretty accurate at short (7yds) range. The grips are a little awkward and I tore the skin open on my palm where the metal meets rubber. I've been looking at wood grips that might fit my hand a little better, but the ones I like are a little steep.

she aint much but she's mine...

My very first and certainly not the last, I shot the Sigma at S&W and really liked it...So when I saw this one in the shop for next to nothing I figured why not[grin]

IMG_0459Medium.jpg

629's are great guns. What -# version is it? Looks like a round butt. My 629-1 square butt is a lot to get my hand around. The wood is really fat. I think the rounds are better fitting to your hand.

629_2.jpg

Mine is a brand new -6. I didn't compare it to the square butt, but at least for me these grips seem pretty fat as well.

Jose,
this looks like one of the depot P1's which came to market in big quantities
somewhen by summer/fall of last year. That's when the Bundeswehr released large numbers for the "Materialreserve".
Does that read "Bw" on the l/h side of the trigger housing ?
By the stamping on the slide, it was refurbed in a depot last in December of 1981.

I missed one of these when they were cheapest: Euro 99 (approx. $ 135) at
the Kassel gun show last year.
The holster is a typical Bundeswehr type; these are selling for very small bucks over here. The shipping cost for mine was 3 times the purchase price[rofl]
Thanks for the info. I knew I could count on you! [wink]

How can you tell it was refurbished on 12/81? Is it by the star symbol next to the date? How can I tell when it was made? From the german guns I have and have looked at, they always have some sort of date code somewhere. Usually next to the barrel proof stamp.

BTW, mine does have the Bw stamp on the left side of the frame just behind the trigger guard. I think it's extra cool that it is a military, not police, surplus.

Sorry I've been late to get this up. Picked up this basic Mossberg 500 home defense shotgun from GOAL back on the 17th (thanks Jon for the good deal).
Mossberg500.jpg

It came with a pistol grip as well as this original wood stock for which I had to come up with a stock bolt. It shows some wear, but seems to work OK once I used the right size bolt. One that's too long pokes into the receiver and acts like a safety . Eventually I'll tac it up, but for the moment it's fine.

Sorry I've been late to get this up. Picked up this basic Mossberg 500 home defense shotgun from GOAL back on the 17th (thanks Jon for the good deal).
Mossberg500.jpg

It came with a pistol grip as well as this original wood stock for which I had to come up with a stock bolt. It shows some wear, but seems to work OK once I used the right size bolt. One that's too long pokes into the receiver and acts like a safety . Eventually I'll tac it up, but for the moment it's fine.

That should do the job!

Oops... almost forgot to post this here...

DSC00190.jpg

S&W 617 with 4" bbl and a 10 round cylinder. Picked it up at the S&W store after the NES tour on Thursday. That pic was taken as it was sitting on the counter while I was filling out paperwork.

War time stock? Looks like it from what I can see. I think they're more interesting and have better grain and figure in the wood than the post war ones.[grin]

I wouldn't know, but WGA had it listed as post war. After putting in my order, I later thought I should have ordered a war time stock due to collectibility reasons, but when I ordered this particular one I was looking mostly for the best bore I could get without getting a new one or unissued one.

I'll try to get some better photos when daughter goes to nap.

I'm still waiting on 6 71/84 parts guns as well as 7 Gew 88 [grin] Those will be a project.

Check the splice on the bottom of the stock. War time is rounded finger grooves while post war is squared.

They're squared. When I'm done reading manuals, I'll be stripping it for a cleaning to get off all this sticky film.

After it's all clean, chamber's going out to get polished & then after I put it back together, gotta take it to a gunsmith to get headspace checked out & make sure it's safe to shoot.

I sooooo badly want to drive to the range & shoot some rounds, but won't do that til headspace is checked to be safe & also want this sticky film off so I don't end up with stuck/sticky bolt syndrome.

I've read instructions for headspacing, but don't have the gauges & figure the $90+ for gauges I could just pay a professional.

Oops... almost forgot to post this here...

DSC00190.jpg

S&W 617 with 4" bbl and a 10 round cylinder. Picked it up at the S&W store after the NES tour on Thursday. That pic was taken as it was sitting on the counter while I was filling out paperwork.

Nice one, Ross. I had a 617 but sold it a couple years ago.... one of the
few guns I've sold that I miss, especially now that I'm getting into wheelguns
a little more.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom