Never felt undergunned, until now........

Rockrivr1

NES Member
For years I've been a firm supporter of front pocket carry and as such in the warmer months I always carry a P3AT with my shorts. I've become complacent enough that I haven't been carrying a spare mag either. Well, after watching all these riot videos and innocent people getting assaulted I'm getting a not so good feeling that I'm WAY undergunned. My wife will never carry so need to carry for the both of us. I'll have to see if she'll carry pepper spray instead.

After some thought I'm going to brush off my PM9 and try to front pocket carry that. I think it will be a little big in my pocket, but I'll see if I can make it work. Not to mention spare mag in one of the cargo pockets. We are not ones for sitting around so we're usually out and about so that has really got me thinking more about this. Fun times. Anyone else reconsidering what they carry?

I added a +2 floorplate to all my 17rd Glock Mags bringing them to 19rds. I may start carrying
a couple 33 rounders for back up, and the two Fifty round drums in my Truck. Then I will have
my A2 AR pistol there starting with a 60rd Magpul drum, then the other 30rd and 40rd stick mags.

Maldave

Just updated my new carry rig to a CZ P-01 w/16 + 1 rounds in the gun and a spare 14rd mag. Put an RMR on it and Cajunized it too.

Ankle carry w/PM9 and other ankle carry 2 spare magazines when weather allows me to wear pants or when on motorcycle ride (refuse to hip carry in case i fall off somehow)

For years I've been a firm supporter of front pocket carry and as such in the warmer months I always carry a P3AT with my shorts. I've become complacent enough that I haven't been carrying a spare mag either. Well, after watching all these riot videos and innocent people getting assaulted I'm getting a not so good feeling that I'm WAY undergunned. My wife will never carry so need to carry for the both of us. I'll have to see if she'll carry pepper spray instead.

After some thought I'm going to brush off my PM9 and try to front pocket carry that. I think it will be a little big in my pocket, but I'll see if I can make it work. Not to mention spare mag in one of the cargo pockets. We are not ones for sitting around so we're usually out and about so that has really got me thinking more about this. Fun times. Anyone else reconsidering what they carry?

I've been carrying my G19 IWB every day since the start of the lockdown with a spare mag, nothing less. I was carrying a G43 before that and still have it, but dunno if I will ever use it again for anything other than weird situations that require deep concealment. With all the masks and shit etc in public these days, most people are oblivious or are in full blown zombie
mode.

IMHO a PM9 at this point is a back up gun or "carried mono", a deep cover only gun.

ETA: it is kind of funny though, because really I ultimately more or less just defaulted back to what I used to do 10+ years ago. More "Normal" mid frame, or "compact" guns. By # of years I carried a 2nd gen G19, HK .40 Compact, P2000 .40 LEM, the most vs everything. And by the end of the year the G19 will probably take the all time record in terms of time on the belt.

I added a +2 floorplate to all my 17rd Glock Mags bringing them to 19rds. I may start carrying
a couple 33 rounders for back up, and the two Fifty round drums in my Truck. Then I will have
my A2 AR pistol there starting with a 60rd Magpul drum, then the other 30rd and 40rd stick mags.

Maldave
I always get a chuckle out of reading posts like this. If 19 rounds of any caliber >22lr isn't enough to get you out alive, then all the extra ammo in the world isn't going to help. One extra mag makes sense in the event of a malfunction or something similar, but either you're that bad of a shot or there are that many people coming for you that extra ammo just isn't the solution. Whatever floats your cowboy fantasy though.

I've got an alabama holster, front pocket holster, and it works real well!
I also made a rear pocket 2 mag carrier out of spare kydex.
-Have also dabbled with the PM9 on the ankle.

Realistically, in most situations any gun will get done what you need.

If you're going to go into the belly of the beast and look for trouble, yea, maybe bring something else.

I live in NH and work mostly out of home office, but am in MA about 1 or 2 days out of the work-week.

I don't care for glocks, so that is out of the picture (its always been the grip-angle that is just not right for me).

I carry a Kahr P45 in summer (and two 8-round wilson combat mags) and a Kimber SS Pro-carry 1911 in the colder months. So that limits my mag capacity.

So in the summer that gives me 16 in the 2 mags + 9 in the wilson combat mag that is in the pistol = just 17 total.

When the weather gets colder I will go to my standard "max. carry" of (2 to 4) chip-mcCormick 10 round mags and the 8-round Wilson Combat mag in the pistol with 1 in the pipe (for the Kimber 1911). So that does give me more at 29 to 49 total rounds.

Last edited:
I always used to carry my 43 with a spare mag, it conceals excellent. The mags have a couple extensions on them. However, I’ve just recently built my 19 with an RMR all custom with a Norsso slide etc. that is my new carry. Little baggier shirts but that’s okay.

I've been carrying my G19 IWB every day since the start of the lockdown with a spare mag, nothing less. I was carrying a G43 before that and still have it, but dunno if I will ever use it again for anything other than weird situations that require deep concealment. With all the masks and shit etc in public these days, most people are oblivious or are in full blown zombie
mode.

IMHO a PM9 at this point is a back up gun or "carried mono", a deep cover only gun.

ETA: it is kind of funny though, because really I ultimately more or less just defaulted back to what I used to do 10+ years ago. More "Normal" mid frame, or "compact" guns. By # of years I carried a 2nd gen G19, HK .40 Compact, P2000 .40 LEM, the most vs everything. And by the end of the year the G19 will probably take the all time record in terms of time on the belt.

Same here. Went from a G43 back to a G19, which I normally carry in cold weather (or a G17) One spare mag. I carry OWB 95% of the time. If I need more concealability, I’ll throw it in my front pocket with a Remora or Sticky holster. I have big pockets. LOL.

I live in NH and work mostly out of home office, but am in MA about 1 or 2 days out of the work-week.

I don't care for glocks, so that is out of the picture (its always been the grip-angle that is just not right for me).

I carry Kahr P45 in summer and a Kimber SS Pro-carry 1911 in the colder months. So that limits my mag capacity.

For the current events, when the weather gets colder I will go to my standard "max. carry" of (4) chip-mcCormick 10 round mags and the 8-round Wilson Combat mag in the pistol with 1 in the pipe (for the Kimber 1911). That does give me 49 total rounds.
Lol yes, because that entire crowd of people you have to shoot through will definitely overtake you with a measly 40 rounds, but with an extra 9 for a total of 49, you can effectively dispatch the last herd running behind your pickup as you drive off into the sunset to your fortress.

Seriously people, lets come back down to reality a bit.

Lol yes, because that entire crowd of people you have to shoot through will definitely overtake you with a measly 40 rounds, but with an extra 9 for a total of 49, you can effectively dispatch the last herd running behind your pickup as you drive off into the sunset to your fortress.

Seriously people, lets come back down to reality a bit.
Carry what you want, but how are you ever going to need 49 pistol rounds in a defensive shootout?

That's like asking "how do you know you will ever need to use a pistol for self defense"?
"Why not just carry pepper spray...."

To both of you: Don't be so ignorant, arrogant and condescending.

This always makes me laugh when people think that they can deduce & predict the completely-unexpected "event & scenario" that they will be confronted with ... at some point in the future.

We have no idea "where" we will be and "what" exactly will happen. Example: Westgate shopping mall attack - Wikipedia

We don't live in normal conditions at the moment, and things WILL continue to get worse. Whether it be from something like the above (you are trapped in a location and multiple nut-jobs are roaming a building to murder people), or something else - IMHO, you are a fool if you deny that the unexpected can happen.

We carry because we know that we live in a world with very bad people that have very evil intentions, and sometimes those people do things in groups.

Last edited:
We can predict the future from the past. Yes there has been civil unrest in the past, nothing new here. Has anyone(other than Mack Bolan) ever needed 49 pistol rounds in a defensive fight?

I'm just carrying my usual. I'll always maintain that my EDC is only half my defense strategy; the other half is situational awareness. The best way to not be undergunned is to not need to pull your gun. Know your exits, have a plan, and keep your eyes open. Rioting crowds don't just spontaneously occur.

It's worthwhile to think about, though.

When things were getting weird with Covid I was carrying my G19 IWB with an extra G17 mag everywhere I went for a about a month or two.
I've settled down back to my p365 with or without the extra mag.
Frankly I don't see much extra-risk in my day to day. I will say my home defense preparations have gotten more "serious".

I added my .40 Sub2k that shares mags with my G23 to my vehicle after George Floyd.

1598632573329.png 1598632608038.png

If another black fella gets killed by POPO... I'll add an SKS with tech-sites...

*Not my photos...

I carry a Springfield xD45 Mod.2 owb. Spare on the belt weak side, spare in weak side front pocket. 3 spares in my "day bag", an old range bag I carry my usual crap in, flashlights, knives, tablet, etc. GHB in the truck box has two spares for my gun and two for Lady Radtekk's. Once I work out a couple of kinks I'll have a 300blackout pistol in the truck box also.

Why "so much"? Because shit happens, people are stupid, "Fail to plan, plan to fail." It's my job, responsibility, and privilege to be ready and able to protect my family. And that includes the scenario, no matter how unlikely, that I will have to fight my way TO one of them, and then back out. I'm doing everything I can to avoid having to say "If only I had brought..." I would have been able to get to her in time.

I'm old, fat, and slow, but I'll be damned if I'm going to be out-gunned.

That's like asking "how do you know you will ever need to use a pistol for self defense"?
"Why not just carry pepper spray...."

To both of you: Don't be so ignorant, arrogant and condescending.

This always makes me laugh when people think that they can deduce & predict what completely unexpected event & scenario that they will be confronted with in the future.

We have no idea "where" we will be and "what" exactly will happen. Example: Westgate shopping mall attack - Wikipedia

We don't live in normal conditions at the moment, and things WILL continue to get worse. Whether it be from from something like the above and you are trapped in a location and multiple nut-jobs are roaming a building to murder people, or something else - IMHO, you are a fool if you deny that the unexpected can happen.

We carry because we know that we live in a world with very bad people that have evil intentions, and sometimes those people do things in groups.
This argument happens regularly and it always falls apart when you extend this same rational. How do you know one pistol will be enough and won't malfunction? How do you know you won't need a bullet proof vest, hand grenades, rocket launchers, biological weapons to defend yourself?

It comes down to making reasonable assumptions based on plausible scenarios. We don't carry around grenades because the likelihood of them being useful is immeasurably small. Likewise, the chances of needing 50 rounds vs 20 is similarly unlikely. In all my time of arguing this point, no one has ever been able to present to me an actual plausible scenario where those extra rounds would come in handy, the response I'm always given is "well you don't know."

I carry a Springfield xD45 Mod.2 owb. Spare on the belt weak side, spare in weak side front pocket. 3 spares in my "day bag", an old range bag I carry my usual crap in, flashlights, knives, tablet, etc. GHB in the truck box has two spares for my gun and two for Lady Radtekk's. Once I work out a couple of kinks I'll have a 300blackout pistol in the truck box also.

Why "so much"? Because shit happens, people are stupid, "Fail to plan, plan to fail." It's my job, responsibility, and privilege to be ready and able to protect my family. And that includes the scenario, no matter how unlikely, that I will have to fight my way TO one of them, and then back out. I'm doing everything I can to avoid having to say "If only I had brought..." I would have been able to get to her in time.

I'm old, fat, and slow, but I'll be damned if I'm going to be out-gunned.
Again, so what do you envision, the government being overthrown and you having to fight your way though? To what? Your house where you'll be magically safe? A crowd overwhelming you to the point where some extra rounds and guns will protect you, but not overwhelming you enough that you won't be able to defend yourself period? Some super trained assassin coming to kill you and you're just going to continue to out-ammo him? Like what are these scenarios that people have dreamed up.

This argument happens regularly and it always falls apart when you extend this same rational. How do you know one pistol will be enough and won't malfunction? How do you know you won't need a bullet proof vest, hand grenades, rocket launchers, biological weapons to defend yourself?

It comes down to making reasonable assumptions based on plausible scenarios. We don't carry around grenades because the likelihood of them being useful is immeasurably small. Likewise, the chances of needing 50 rounds vs 20 is similarly unlikely. In all my time of arguing this point, no one has ever been able to present to me an actual plausible scenario where those extra rounds would come in handy, the response I'm always given is "well you don't know."
You make a valid point, worth discussing. You just don't have to make it like a condescending ass like you did in your last post.

An IFAK in your car or some sort of micro first aid kit (small pad of hemostatic gauze and a bandage) you can keep in a jacket pocket might be a good idea. If you get wounded by some mob, getting away or EMS getting to you might take awhile. Getting cocked in the head with a bottle or getting slashed with something and bleeding until you pass out wouldn't be a good thing.

If you wear a tie, choose a silk one that can be used in a pinch for medical purposes. Tie clips add to that utility.

Carry a pocket knife too.

You make a valid point, worth discussing. You just don't have to make it like a condescending ass like you did in your last post.
The tone is not intentional - I certainly don't have any more knowledge of what the future holds than anyone else to be able to ride a higher horse.

It's just that this argument seems to come up often, and the point is only ever countered by "well you don't know" or "better safe than sorry" or some variant there of. At some point, the lack of actual critical thinking does become a bit comical, and you have no choice but to just roll with the insanity. Apologies to anyone who feels that I've attacked them, and I am more than open to hearing a well thought out counter argument.

I always get a chuckle out of reading posts like this. If 19 rounds of any caliber >22lr isn't enough to get you out alive, then all the extra ammo in the world isn't going to help. One extra mag makes sense in the event of a malfunction or something similar, but either you're that bad of a shot or there are that many people coming for you that extra ammo just isn't the solution. Whatever floats your cowboy fantasy though.

I guess the chuckles work both ways then. I say carry what you want, but don’t shit on somebody else for carrying what they want based on their desire, thoughts and preparations to get their family out of any situation intact. Any actual experience to base your statements on or you just going by the Joe Biden rule of self defense?

Your thoughts may solely be around riotous crowds, I don’t know, but there are a lot worse threats out there than that, IE: active shooter(s), terror threats, vehicles running down crowds, etc.

I don’t think at this stage of the game any of those things are beyond the realm of possibility and in fact we’ve seen them all happen many times already. I base my tactics on my experiences, no cowboy hat needed.

Back
Top Bottom