• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need screw for S&W model 10

if you're gonna go new screws call smith. they fixed me up with a set for one of my m 10s side plate. i seem to remember they sent 'em out n/c also.

I thought about it, but didn’t do it yet. If I got a new screw I’d have to take the bluing off. Mine has maybe 5% left and that’s probably a stretch saying that.

I thought about it, but didn’t do it yet. If I got a new screw I’d have to take the bluing off. Mine has maybe 5% left and that’s probably a stretch saying that.
i didn't think about when i got mine, but...i'd bet they might have hundreds of "take off" screws in a bin somewhere. it's free to call. ;)

I called Smith and Wesson and they are sending me a screw that may or may not work. He said they don’t have them, but the make a couple replicas revolvers that might use a similar screw.
He said if it doesn’t fit they cannot help.

I called Smith and Wesson and they are sending me a screw that may or may not work. He said they don’t have them, but the make a couple replicas revolvers that might use a similar screw.
He said if it doesn’t fit they cannot help.
Gee, they're helpful. Screw them.

Your gun is known as a 5 screw model. S&W stopped making them in about 1957, and the screw you are looking for was removed from the design at that time. Luckily, they made lots of them for about five decades before that, so it is not impossible to find parts.

I believe this link is for a modern reproduction of that screw. I can't make any guarantee if it fits, but it seems pretty likely. If it is the right part, I'm sure you could "age" the finish so it would look somewhat appropriate. The seller also has an ebay store if you prefer that.

The best source of info about all things S&W is Smith & Wesson Forum. Post #2 in this thread contains a list of possible vendors for older revolvers.

I also found info by putting the search below into google. This may also help find some old original parts on ebay. Note that your gun is not a Victory model, but the screw should be compatible.

S&W Victory Model large head side plate screw
In the last few years, S&W has started making some classic guns which once again have a similar screw on the sideplate. I do not know if those screws are compatible with the old guns, but someone on smith-wessonforum.com probably knows.

Nice old gun by the way.

Back
Top Bottom