Need Cape Cod Area Dealer Recommendation for Widow

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
This request is from a good friend who lost his good friend. He's not on NES and asked me for recommendations and I don't know any reputable dealers in that area.

The widow wants to dispose of the guns by selling them to a dealer and my friend wants to make sure that she isn't screwed in the process by an unscrupulous dealer.

He hasn't seen the guns and the wake is tomorrow and he expects to be asked for recommendations this week. The deceased was a hunter so a few hunting guns are expected, unsure if there are any handguns or other non-hunting guns at this point.

I did suggest that after finding a reputable Cape Cod/South Coast area dealer, that putting them on consignment might be best financially.

Please either reply here or via PM, but only if you know someone who won't try to screw the widow out of money by low-balling any offers.

Thanks.

I was down the Cape last week. Swung by Cape Gun Works. I filled out the paperwork, took the range tests and then did some shooting. Nice indoor range. I rented a P365 to play with. Federal 115gr 9mm for $15.99 a box, $10 for the P365 and I believe $25 for an hour of range time. I thought the prices were reasonable.

I looked around the store. Pretty good selection,. All the help friendly and they seemed to know their stuff. Guys at the counter running the range were great also. I'd have no problems going back.

I know it is not allowed on NES, but this could be a good exemption for one thread ...

Maybe if the guy sends you an Excel list of model and caliber, we can give a good idea of cost.

I have seen a lot of good dealers offer not so good prices. I get it, they are in the busienss of making money and there is nothing wrong with that, but when a gun sells used for $1200 and a dealer offers $500, that is sh*tty.

I can't talk about any Cape Cod dealers.

But, what I will say is ... just because a dealer is great when doing business buying a new gun, doesn't necessarily mean they are great to sell guns to.

If she has an idea of costs, she can make sure she is not getting screwed and letting a gun go for $500 or more below used market prices.

Last edited:
But, what I will say is ... just because a dealer is great when doing business buying a new gun, doesn't necessarily mean they sre great to sell guns to.
idealy, if a dealer is involved, consignment is the way to go. selling outright to a dealer, well, you said it, they're in business to make money and a living, not to be a nonprofit charity. all one can hope for is not get burned too badly.

idealy, if a dealer is involved, consignment is the way to go. selling outright to a dealer, well, you said it, they're in business to make money and a living, not to be a nonprofit charity. all one can hope for is not get burned too badly.
CGW is a great place with good traffic. Consignments get a lot of eyes on them
20% of sale goes to the shop.
But it goes.
ps call first and make an appt with Arthur. I think he’s only there a few times a week. He does the consignments.
If it’s a desirable item, they may buy it out right

I know it is not allowed on NES, but this could be a good exemption for one thread ...

Maybe if the guy sends you an Excel list of model and caliber, we can give a good idea of cost.

I have seen a lot of good dealers offer not so good prices. I get it, they are in the busienss of making money and there is nothing wrong with that, but when a gun sells used for $1200 and a dealer offers $500, that is sh*tty.

I can't talk about any Cape Cod dealers.

But, what I will say is ... just because a dealer is great when doing business buying a new gun, doesn't necessarily mean they are great to sell guns to.

If she has an idea of costs, she can make sure she is not getting screwed and letting a gun go for $500 or more below used market prices.
Most dealers will give 50% of the value. That's pretty much the business model if you want to make money as a dealer.

In cases such as this where its a larger collection buy.....its usually less than 50%. Because they know the wife wants to just jettison them.

I suggest selling off one at a time and listing them here, gunbroker or whatever. I know that's what she doesn't want to do, but so doesn't the dealer, thats why they will pay less.

Consignment would be better than all out sale to dealer.

She has 180 days to dispose of said guns from the time of estate settlement, correct? She should look around and see what is best.

She has 180 days to dispose of said guns from the time of estate settlement, correct? She should look around and see what is best.
Yeah, I still cringe when I overhear a dealer making an offer for a used gun. :( That is not the situation you want to find yourself in... or a friend. 🤔
Well put em up 4 sale here ? She probably get a bit more money
It certainly wouldn't be less... that's for sure.

This request is from a good friend who lost his good friend. He's not on NES and asked me for recommendations and I don't know any reputable dealers in that area.

The widow wants to dispose of the guns by selling them to a dealer and my friend wants to make sure that she isn't screwed in the process by an unscrupulous dealer.

He hasn't seen the guns and the wake is tomorrow and he expects to be asked for recommendations this week. The deceased was a hunter so a few hunting guns are expected, unsure if there are any handguns or other non-hunting guns at this point.

I did suggest that after finding a reputable Cape Cod/South Coast area dealer, that putting them on consignment might be best financially.

Please either reply here or via PM, but only if you know someone who won't try to screw the widow out of money by low-balling any offers.

Thanks.
Len the way the business works is /no/ dealer is going to buy without "low balling" unless there's some exceptional or commodity (easily sold )guns in the mix. If they can't get something at 20-50% of GB low average or less, a lot of guns aren't even worth buying. There's no money in flipping trash can shotguns and 22s unless you get them for free or close to it. That's why a lot of the more honest dealers will be like "I can't give you much for that, better off selling private" etc.

The last one of these I helped a widow with, she had about a dozen guns but only maybe 3 of them were really worth anything (i gave her good numbers on those so she wouldn't get taken to the cleaners) i advised her the bottom stuff she'd be lucky to get 50 bucks each for them. (All low grade pumps, single shots, and cheap 22s) this was long before ronascare too)

Most dealers will give 50% of the value. That's pretty much the business model if you want to make money as a dealer.

In cases such as this where its a larger collection buy.....its usually less than 50%. Because they know the wife wants to just jettison them.

I suggest selling off one at a time and listing them here, gunbroker or whatever. I know that's what she doesn't want to do, but so doesn't the dealer, thats why they will pay less.

Consignment would be better than all out sale to dealer.
50% maybe if its something they can sell

Way less if its hard to flip stuff. That stuff is usually a loss unless its free between compliance storage and staff time wasted.

Nope, 180 days that everyone spouts is irrelevant. Nobody (and this includes LEOs) reads the actual text of the MA inheritance law, which clearly calls out what the 180 days is about . . . it's not what everyone thinks it says.

We have no idea if she has a LTC or not. From what I was told, she is likely to put all the guns in the hands of the trusted friend for disposal and he does have a LTC.

Nobody is going to deal with NES in this case and personally I can agree. When I was moving, I put 5 handguns and a .22LR Bushmaster XM15 up here with absolutely no interest over many months. I sold the XM15 privately outside of NES (a student of my MA gun law seminar) and the 5 handguns went to consignment and all sold quickly for asking price. The dealer did buy 1 or 2 outright and offered more than my NES posted price for one of the Glocks.

When I get around to it, I probably have another 10 handguns and a few rifles to sell off (some are C&Rs). All have MA papers but I doubt that I'll post them here on NES.

I know how dealerships typically work, I've witnessed a couple rape people who came in to sell some guns.

My friend isn't likely to be buffaloed, as he's a gun person.

Hunting guns are a tough one, you have to find the right dealer whose clientele are mostly Fudds for that.

Many years ago I was working the GOAL table at a Marlboro gun show when my deputy chief came in with his Son. He was curious what the very, very old Winchester 1873 lever action (think The Rifleman TV show) was worth. One dealer offered "$50 for that old piece of junk", another offered him$1500.00 for it and he decided to keep it (it was worth ~$5K back then). He had been a detective for a long time and could smell the sucker lines from the dealers he talked with.

Now i know why gunshops keep on go out of business lol.
Shops not overpaying for trash has anything to do with them going out of business or not?

The nicer shops will basically tell you or tell any person that they're better off selling private because they can't offer them much.

Last edited:
I helped a friend who was selling her father's guns after he went into assisted living. I took her to Four Seasons on a weekday morning and helped her put them on consignment. They sold relatively quickly and for a decent price. It was far easier for her than trying to manage several private sales. She had a bunch of other things to deal with (the family home, etc.) and little time to deal with the guns.

To be 100% truthful I walked in to shop with 4 guns I wanted to get rid of. The owner looked them up on GB to see what they were moving for. Gave me an offer that on some I felt was low and higher than I expected on others. The end number was close enough for guns that I didn’t want.

I’ve bought and sold more desirable gun here in the past but these were not. No headaches and tire kickers.

I helped a friend who was selling her father's guns after he went into assisted living. I took her to Four Seasons on a weekday morning and helped her put them on consignment. They sold relatively quickly and for a decent price. It was far easier for her than trying to manage several private sales. She had a bunch of other things to deal with (the family home, etc.) and little time to deal with the guns.
Indeed, the fastest, easiest disposal at a fair price would be via consignment at FSGuns. [thumbsup]

50% maybe if its something they can sell

Way less if its hard to flip stuff. That stuff is usually a loss unless its free between compliance storage and staff time wasted.
Agree......50% is the high end......on easy to turn around stuff.

LOL and who is going to administer that? The gun sales fairy? Having been peripherally involved in this stuff its a lot of work for anyone who isn't a dealer.
This.....I've nearly pulled my hair out selling one gun here before.......a dozen....no thanks.

That said, you know a dealer is going to offer you just above crap for them......if you have a very low price in the market here....things usually sell fast and without trouble. But its still a lot of work because of meeting people and travel, and transfers.

Consigning at a high volume dealer like KTP or FSGuns would likely be the best, fastest easiest solution.

Indeed, the fastest, easiest disposal at a fair price would be via consignment at FSGuns. [thumbsup]
I'm sure other shops can do consignment as well. I've known Carl for decades, so I use him.

I've put several guns on consignment at FS as well. I don't get as much, but it is a lot less hassle. Some buyers are easy to deal with, some not so much.

Back
Top Bottom