Need a Woman's Point of view....

speedy

NES Member
...why it is important for women to excercise their right to bear arms and yes "get licensed". My wife told me that I could sign her up for a safety class so she could apply for ther LTC A. But I think she needs more reassurance and thoughs from a female perspective. She has "gun ownership" still classified as a male thing. I told her that they were liberated, and last time I read, and they were even in space. LOL.
Thanks for your comments.
Have a Merry Christmas, and Joyful Holiday Celebrations, and may the New Year bring you Prosperity, Health, Liberty, Freedom, Love and Happiness.
Be Blessed!

I will speak for my wife in that she is not a hardcore gun owner, and is still new to the idea of carry, but she feels empowered when she shoots. She now thinks about danger, instead of being ignorant to it. She now realizes how dangerous her old attitude was, thinking that everthing is always okay, and someone will protect me from the bad guys. My wife is all about confidence, and she will carry when she feels confident, or qualified in her own mind to do so. She is a recoil sissy, so we are working on that.

Personally, I've always liked the idea of firearms so I'm not going to be any help in that area, but I think that the more she goes to the range and shoots the more comfortable she will be and the more she'll like it. Especially shooting something fun like a .22 will help ease her into it. I used to think that my husband's .45 was way too much for me, but now I like it.

I'll never forget one day when my husband and I were at the range, a lesson was going on and the instructor gave a woman a .40 to shoot to complete her lesson and after the woman was done shooting you could tell that it turned her off. She said like "Well, that wasn't fun."

I am working on getting my girl into the class to get her LTC-A. She is totally down to take the class and all that, but not super duper in to it. That said, we went to Attleboro and rented their AK-47 last night and she kicked some ass with it.

I think thats the key, get her shooting. It's such a great hobby on so many levels. Chances are good she'll enjoy it, at least a little, if she gets into it. I find shooting to be a great outlet when Im frustrated or pissed off. I mean there's the obvious violence aspect of it, but it's also the focus and control required to shoot well that really helps clear your head. We were both in terrible moods last night and came away feeling much better after blasting away with that AK.

That said, I dunno....I guess it's just one of the differences that remain despite equality and liberation. I mean not that there aren't women who are way more into guns than most men, but it does seem to be statistically a bit less that dudes. Maybe it's socialization from when we are young. I tend to think it's probably a combination of being wired a little different and socialization. Nothing wrong with that...everybody's different.

Hubby had guns before we got married. I wasn't a fan!! I viewed them as evil, and ready to spontaneously fire at will.... My point at the time was, since I didn't know how to use one, and I was pregnant, I didn't want them in the house and around my kids. Anything could happen, and they were too dangerous.

Hubby said,"Lets go to the range so you and watch and see how they just don't "go off", on their own. Reluctantly I went, and sat 20 feet away, and waited for something bad to happen....... I finally got closer. LOL (felt like a curious cat waiting to be killed) I really was scared, but more curious as time went on that day. We worked up, to me trying out the rifle first. Not bad I thought, and I started to ask if I hit anything. LOL (hooked) After learning more, and doing well that day, I didn't have as many objections. LOL

So while I insist on "gun safe, safety" in the home, I'm not afraid of most firearms. I say most, cuz, until I see it, have instruction with it, and shoot it, I have RESPECT for it, and won't handle it. I've not yet tried a machine gun, so those are intimidating to me. I'm working on that! LOL

Some of my views now are, If something happened to hubby I could legally possess, carry, and use the firearms in our home. If I ever came across a firearm, I would have the knowledge, skills & attitude, needed to safely handle it. (Rick, LOL do I get credit?) What better way to reenforce proper safety with my kids, and others. Education is better than ignorance any day! In this day and age, being able to protect/defend oneself if it ever came to that, is important. It is a 2a right, so why not take advantage of it? AND, it can be downright fun! She doesn't have to be "dirty Harriet", but she'd be surprised at how many women like guns!

As for the kids..... My 16 y.o. son and 14 y.o. daughter are both distinguished experts with .22 rifles, and we bring them to the range to shoot with us. They also have fired everything we own. Again education for everyone is important, knowledge really is powerful.

I have also gone a bit farther in educating myself, as well..... really don't want to be careless or ignorant! LOL

i am gonna tell you what my girlfriend thinks:

first: she was raised surrounded by guns. Her dad has guns, her step dad was a cop and has guns, her brother has guns, her two step brothers have guns. Her grandfather built the Pembroke gun club and he has guns, Her uncle (mothers side) has 3 safes full of guns (he showed me how to use muskets), and I have guns.

so, she is comfortable around guns, and she already knows that guns dont just go off and kill people.

What scares her and concerns her is recoil. She weights 115lbs and thinks that recoil is too much, and thats why she wont shoot. She wont even try it. (not even a .22).
and most girls i know, ask the same question: "what about recoil?" seems like that's one of their biggest concerns.

My current girlfriend never thought about it until after her ex threw her down a flight of stairs.

Then I came along and got her qualified and packing.

She used to think guns were a masculine thing. Then she realized they are not a "thing" but more or less a form of insurance.

Simple enough of an explanation. And I am not saying you'd do something like that, but any other given male could. There are lots of bad people out there, and you don't know it until it's too late.

I will speak for my wife in that she is not a hardcore gun owner, and is still new to the idea of carry, but she feels empowered when she shoots. She now thinks about danger, instead of being ignorant to it. She now realizes how dangerous her old attitude was, thinking that everything is always okay, and someone will protect me from the bad guys. My wife is all about confidence, and she will carry when she feels confident, or qualified in her own mind to do so. She is a recoil sissy, so we are working on that.

I agree with this, other than I happen to own quite a few firearms but definitely feel empowered when I shoot and not being ignorant to danger.

I was never into firearms before my fiancé decided to get his LTC. I knew firearms were going to be in the house so I did the class also in case something were to happen to him or our roommate who also has his LTC I would be able to transport them or use them if I needed to. I never thought I would get into it but just have my LTC as a backup type thing. A few trips to the range and up to VT and I was hooked. I now own the most firearms in the house from shotguns, handguns and rifles (I also live with 3 LTC-A holders). I am still new to carrying but am getting used to it. I am a better shot with a rifle than a handgun but this is something we are working on, and since I got my LCP with crimson trace grips I feel more confident that if I am carrying that I will be able to hit my target (and its small so easier to carry). Owning firearms has become a hobby that myself and my fiancé and friends share.

Hopefully she loves it. But if not I would say don't push it on her and at least she has her LTC in case something happens and she has to use your firearm.

One of the best things to do would be to have her take a class wit AWARE - Arming Women Against Rape and Endangerment. The leaders of the group are women, as are many of the instructors, and they carry.

Mind set/ the Zen of self Defence. This is where the rubber meets the road.

One of the first classes I taught with my FIL was full of small business owners (men and women) who were scared of being robbed. They came willing to learn and eager to qualify for an LTC. At the end of the class, some came up to us and thanked us...they now knew that having a firearm was not an option for them. It was an eye opener for me [one of many]

learning to shoot. acquiring skills and confidence

It helps to practice so that you feel confident in your abilities it also helps to be around 'right' minded folk. With time, practice and exposure things can change but it has to come from within. No amount of coercion or tapping your heels will make a damned bit of difference. When and if they want to carry they will.

rach

Last edited:
Send her to the Second Amendment Sisters. We shoot every third Saturday at the Braintree Rifle & Pistol Club at 2pm. It's an all-women thing and we are ready to take those who have never been in the same room as a gun and get them shooting before they go home, help a beginner improve their marksmanship and confidence & try a number of guns out, or run drills to teach more experienced shooters new skills & polish existing ones. If you're really experienced, we'll put you to work! She'll also have a range full of women to talk to, all of whom have their own reason for being there. Oh, and it's free. [grin]

For a lot of PEOPLE (but not everyone), it's easier to learn without your romantic interest standing there watching. You want to make them proud and that means you're going to be more tense. Whether you send her to SAS or not, give her a few chances to make shooting something SHE does, not just something she does with you.

Why should women have a gun? Just as many reasons as men. It's a people thing, not a gender thing. Some people have had direct threats made against them. Some people are survivors and don't want to be victimized again. Some people have a family to protect. Some people realize they aren't Superman and they need something to level the playing field should something bad happen to them. Some people like recoil. Some people like the challenge. Some people just like guns. Some people are into hunting or competitions. For others it's a family tradition and part of their heritage.

Just tell her that a gun will make her look thinner and younger.[smile]

Sorry I know that was a sexist remark, but I could not resist.

My wife recently started a job where she works from home. She spends most of her day tucked into her home office, head down, buried in her work. She got spooked one day when there was a pounding on the door and two guys with a clipboard in hand on the front steps. She felt vulnerable and nervous. The dog was barking and her stress level went through the roof.
They were from the Water Dept and needed to swap out a defective water meter. She called me and I stayed on the phone with her but she said she did not like the way it made her feel.
That was the final push needed for her to get her LTC. Now she feels as though she can protect herself and her children and is not dependent on others for her safety.

The reasons for a woman carrying a gun are the same as those for a man. Women have unique concerns because we are targeted for certain kinds of violence more frequently, and we are often the primary caretakers of children who depend on us for protection, but that just makes those same reasons all the more important - it doesn't change the reasons themselves. Why do you carry/own guns?

If your lady has agreed to get licensed, you don't need to do any more convincing. People have a wide variety of feelings about carrying, and it's best to let each person arrive at his or her own conclusions about the subject.

When I got my license it was more to send a message to whoever was listening that I felt it was a Constitutional right and I wasn't going to continue to let it erode without expressing my feelings on the topic. Didn't really think I'd carry when I went to the mall, to dinner, etc.

Fast forward 8 or 9 years.

I carry because I want to be able to vigorously defend myself if the SHTF. I have several other tools that I'd try first, but if push comes to shove and it's my life or yours, you'd better believe I'm going to fight like hell to stay alive and do all the things I've yet to do.

I'll verify this with my wife when she gets home but I believe this will be her opinion. One thing to consider is she grew up out west where guns in general were more acceptable than here. However, her step father was a complete POS as a human being and threatened her mom a number of times with a gun. So, it took her a little bit to get comfortable with the idea of a gun in the house. This latter aspect is something women probably deal with more than men.

Anyway, I believe these would be her feelings on the subject:
- Having a kid was a big part of her seeing the need for protection and that was solidified by incidents like the Petit home invasion in CT.
- She quite likes shooting long guns, especially ARs or my XCR.
- She also likes .22 handguns but centerfire handguns are a bit too scary for her.
- She's not really comfortable with the idea of CCW herself (partially because of the above) but appreciates that I do.
- If someone broke in, she'd have no misgivings about shooting the intruder.

Hopefully that's helpful.

For a lot of PEOPLE (but not everyone), it's easier to learn without your romantic interest standing there watching. You want to make them proud and that means you're going to be more tense. Whether you send her to SAS or not, give her a few chances to make shooting something SHE does, not just something she does with you.

+1 Great Advice.

My Fiancee felt like she could only defend herself if I was around. After she received her LTC A and some training she is a very confident shooter. Damn good too! Mindset is just as important as skill set. To carry means to one day have to USE that weapon. It took her a little while to get the mindset down, but now she's solid and I know when we are out she has my back.

Her big hangup was finding a carry gun that fit her just right. One Khar PM9 later and she LOVES to go shooting!

i am gonna tell you what my girlfriend thinks:

first: she was raised surrounded by guns. Her dad has guns, her step dad was a cop and has guns, her brother has guns, her two step brothers have guns. Her grandfather built the Pembroke gun club and he has guns, Her uncle (mothers side) has 3 safes full of guns (he showed me how to use muskets), and I have guns.

so, she is comfortable around guns, and she already knows that guns dont just go off and kill people.

What scares her and concerns her is recoil. She weights 115lbs and thinks that recoil is too much, and thats why she wont shoot. She wont even try it. (not even a .22).
and most girls i know, ask the same question: "what about recoil?" seems like that's one of their biggest concerns.

Heck, women give birth!

Recoil has got to be a 'walk in the park' by comparison, when it comes to fear and apprehension.

Set her up for a takedown by concerned friends @ night.......she might change her mind then.....unless shes well ....stupid. I only answered because I know wimminz or i'm in heels right now.. [rolleyes]

Set her up for a takedown by concerned friends @ night.......she might change her mind then.....unless shes well ....stupid. I only answered because I know wimminz or i'm in heels right now.. [rolleyes]

I am sure the 8 beers that you drank before posting this made you think it made sense.[laugh][laugh]

Back
Top Bottom