Navy Shows Off Powerful New Laser Weapon

Cool technology, but only useful for close range targets.
It'll never replace the big guns on naval vessels, because it can't attack targets beyond the horizon, due to the straight-line nature of the beam.
A gun fires a shell in an arc that can reach beyond the horizon.
Also, the more hi-tech the weapon, the more chances for it to fail.

Cool technology, but only useful for close range targets.
It'll never replace the big guns on naval vessels, because it can't attack targets beyond the horizon, due to the straight-line nature of the beam.
A gun fires a shell in an arc that can reach beyond the horizon.
Also, the more hi-tech the weapon, the more chances for it to fail.

That's what the railgun is for. 30 years from now the 76mm and 5 inch guns will be gone with the railguns in their place, and the CIWS and Sea Sparrows will be replaced by laser point defense systems (but with a much longer reach)

As soon as we completely convert over to energy weapons, Aliens are going to attack the planet and they'll have shields that absorb energy weapons. Some scrappy hero is going to find his way into a museum during the attack and defend himself from an Alien trooper with a 1911A1 he breaks out from a WWII display, thus discovering the Aliens one weakness: projectile weaponry. He'll then organize a small rag-tag band of rebels to fight back and spread the word of their discovery to the scattered remnants of the worlds military forces in hiding, who then mount a counter-attack to defeat the high-tech Aliens using ancient Earth firearms. I just know it.

As soon as we completely convert over to energy weapons, Aliens are going to attack the planet and they'll have shields that absorb energy weapons. Some scrappy hero is going to find his way into a museum during the attack and defend himself from an Alien trooper with a 1911A1 he breaks out from a WWII display, thus discovering the Aliens one weakness: projectile weaponry. He'll then organize a small rag-tag band of rebels to fight back and spread the word of their discovery to the scattered remnants of the worlds military forces in hiding, who then mount a counter-attack to defeat the high-tech Aliens using ancient Earth firearms. I just know it.

type that up and get it to producer, i smell next cinema blockbuster!

Battlefield: Earth?

All these Laser articles... and no actual video clips of the lasers in action. Whoopdeedoo.

I think they did that in Stargate SG-1.

I knew some of the people on the Navy's high energy laser project team when I worked in California. These are not Hollywood-type mad scientists, nor are they NASA-type engineers who forget to convert from metric and lose the satellite. The guys I know are more of the type of methodical, grounded engineers who you'd imagine brought us things like the SR-71, the daisy cutter MOAB, or the Tomahawk. You know, the type of team that makes cool military shit that does wicked awesome stuff.

Am I the only one that finds this hard to believe?

Believe it, I helped develop these weapons. There are also a slew of D.E.W.s the public has no idea about. The ability to take out targets over the horizion is possible, use your imagination as to how this could be possible.

The range will become quiet. I will be able to draw my name on the target...like pissing in the snow.

A bullet seems more in line with warfare than melting or microwaving someone...imagine the evening news.

Another option... 'armor' would now be 'laser' beams zapping all the incoming bullets.

That's what the railgun is for. 30 years from now the 76mm and 5 inch guns will be gone with the railguns in their place, and the CIWS and Sea Sparrows will be replaced by laser point defense systems (but with a much longer reach)

What about these?
024%20B.Morris%2016-inch%20gun%20fire.jpg

JohnnyD: Did they have to waste what looked like a decent boat and two good motors? Couldn't they just use an old wood scow for demonstration purposes?

Last edited:
What about these?

JohnnyD: Did they have to waste what looked like a decent boat and two good motors? Couldn't they just use an old wood scow for demonstration purposes?

I got to work on the USS Iowa while it was stationed in Norfolk. I liked what Reagan's plan accomplished with those four Battleships. Those Soviet (accidents waiting to happen) nuclear cruisers couldn't compete with them.

What about these?
024%20B.Morris%2016-inch%20gun%20fire.jpg

I still think they should have kept two of the ships in extended availability status - there's no more cost-effective and impregnable solution to the problem of shore bombardment than naval gunfire. Modern missiles aren't built to penetrate 12-16" of armor plate and there is no target in the world worthy of the armor-piercing shells those ships carried in World War II.

Unfortunately now it's just the Iowa sitting in mothballs while the others are all full-fledged museum ships at this point.

They cost way too much to bring back into service and operate. It's the Navy's plan to design and build ships that can be manned with smaller crews. Those new Stealth Destroyers are fully automated and require very small crews compared to other ships.

Am I the only one that finds this hard to believe?

that picture looks like a shitty photoshop job.

the technology, i dont know.

how long till NASA and the Air Force build one of these:
deathstar.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom