My Son is going to be a dangerous man.

fencer

NES Member
Yesterday I picked up a Walther P22 from a member here. I traded a 22-45 for it and it is really a training tool and practice pistol for my Son, who is 12 years old.

Naturally, he was excited to try out, so we went to the range today. Our indoor range is 50 feet, and because that is a pretty long pistol shot, what I usually do is tape a paper plate onto a large silhouette target. That way if he misses it is easy to see what is up and make corrections. Well after a quick function and safety test, I send his target down range. He picks up the Walther, slaps in the loaded magazine, and slowly squeezes off ten rounds.

The slide locks back and we bring the target home. Sonavabitch, ten holes in the plate. Pretty good. So we send it back down and repeat the process. I am loading mags and just handing them to him so he can keep shooting. 100 rounds down range. off hand, and just 3 that were off the plate. He has had no formal training, just my coaching since he was 8 or so. He really took to that Walther and the gun runs like a champ.
I am thinking it is time to get my boy a nice 9mm. Maybe a 1911 in 9mm

Special thanks goes out to NES member Todd Dubya, who made this Father and Son memory possible by trading his Walther for my Mark III 22/45. Todd is a real stand up guy and anyone thinking of making a deal with him should know he is totally solid, straight forward and honest, and just a super nice guy. Thanks Todd

Wow, thanks for the range report and the glowing review. I'm still amazed that you happened to make a comment in some thread that I happened to read, and then I just happened to be in the area to make the trade. Then you just happened to have a paper FA-10 floating around to solve the lost PIN problem.

When I was walking out of your house, I was thinking "You know, we're both coming away from this trade thinking we got the better deal". That's how it should be.

On that note, I'm going to the range.

[cheers]

Nice. I took my 10 and 12 year old boys to a steel challenge match in New Bedford, MA in January. It was the first competition for any of us. They used my Walther P22 and did great. They went through an entire brick of Mini-Mags and not a single issue. They hit the targets too. Proud dad here too.

Nice. I took my 10 and 12 year old boys to a steel challenge match in New Bedford, MA in January. It was the first competition for any of us. They used my Walther P22 and did great. They went through an entire brick of Mini-Mags and not a single issue. They hit the targets too. Proud dad here too.

Awesome isn't it? I always swore that i wouldn't be one of those Dad's reliving my glory days through my kid. But it is hard not to. About half way through our session a guy came in shooting his HK and he wasn't even close to as accurate as my Son. and i thought, "I wouldn't want this kid shooting at me, he is a dangerous man"

Awesome isn't it? I always swore that i wouldn't be one of those Dad's reliving my glory days through my kid. But it is hard not to. About half way through our session a guy came in shooting his HK and he wasn't even close to as accurate as my Son. and i thought, "I wouldn't want this kid shooting at me, he is a dangerous man"

The guy with the HK probably had too much caffeine and I bet his back was acting up [smile].

Excellent work! Always great to see the torch passed to a new generation too, especially with all of the "guns are bad" propaganda being pumped into their minds at school.

Just curious why you wanted to trade the 22/45 for the p22? I would think that the 22/45 is a superior target gun. I only ask because I have the Ruger SR22 and love shooting it, but have considered buying a 22/45, or MKII for more accurate distance shooting.

Yes, it is awesome. It makes the kids feel good too. Most of the old timers love to see kids at the range and make them feel VERY welcome.

Another short story... took my 12 year old to an egg shoot at Manville Sportsman's Club (in RI) a few months ago. He was the only kid there. He shot in the 100 yard rimfire class, with the adults, using the Ruger 10/22 I've had since I was his age. He hit more eggs at 100, with that 10/22, than I did shooting at 200 yards with my CZ527. Many guys were very happy to see him there and almost doting over him. He walked away with the 1st place kids trophy (by default, but he did shoot pretty well). He won one of the raffle items... a brick of Federal .22LR. He also got to shoot the "grand finale"... a 1/2lb exploding target using someone's high powered rifle. He left with a big smile on his face! So did his dad. [smile]

When I was walking out of your house, I was thinking "You know, we're both coming away from this trade thinking we got the better deal". That's how it should be.

Flotter390 & I are each STILL convinced we got the better end of the deal when I traded him a COP4 (with box & manual) for a SW1911 with CTC grips (And the grips promptly got sold to WildWeasel!). He got what he wanted and I got what I wanted. [grin]

Just curious why you wanted to trade the 22/45 for the p22? I would think that the 22/45 is a superior target gun. I only ask because I have the Ruger SR22 and love shooting it, but have considered buying a 22/45, or MKII for more accurate distance shooting.

Absent a reply from the OP, I'd guess it has to do with the size of the grips. His son probably has smaller hands and isn't comfortable with the 22/45. Not having huge paws myself, I'm very familiar with how grip size affects how comfortable you are with a gun!

Have you ever taken a Ruger apart? [laugh]

Last edited by a moderator:
Absent a reply from the OP, I'd guess it has to do with the size of the grips. His son probably has smaller hands and isn't comfortable with the 22/45. Not having huge paws myself, I'm very familiar with how grip size affects how comfortable you are with a gun!

This certainly did play a role. among other things. But ultimately, the biggest factor was that my Son just thought the Walther was cool and wanted to shoot a new gun. ( I have no idea where he gets that from)

Like Todd said, we both thought we were getting a good deal, and my Son was thrilled to get to the range again. He couldn't wait.

This certainly did play a role. among other things. But ultimately, the biggest factor was that my Son just thought the Walther was cool and wanted to shoot a new gun. ( I have no idea where he gets that from)

Like Todd said, we both thought we were getting a good deal, and my Son was thrilled to get to the range again. He couldn't wait.

Never, ever introduce him to a 1911. My son now thinks it's his now.

Back
Top Bottom