• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moved to NH, but my MA LTC hasn't expired yet...is it still valid?

FWIW FRB received my change of address on Monday. I verified my license using the EFA10 portal and it shows as valid with my TX address. I know that the PD received the letter Saturday.

Only question now is if they will mail me a new LTC with my TX address.

Stay tuned.
They won't and it has nothing to do with you or TX. They don't provide no LTCs to anyone when they change address. There is no need/reason for the LTC to have your correct address on it. Your DL or other government issued ID satisfies that need.

Ok, Sorry. There is this FFL on the Cape that won't do a sale/transfer if your LTC address is out of date; but he is very "special".

It's really academic as I don't have any current plans to visit up there. I was there a couple of weeks ago to pick up and transport ammunition that had at a friend's house. I couldn't bring it when we moved and moving companies won't move or store it.

They won't and it has nothing to do with you or TX. They don't provide no LTCs to anyone when they change address. There is no need/reason for the LTC to have your correct address on it. Your DL or other government issued ID satisfies that need.

Ok, Sorry. There is this FFL on the Cape that won't do a sale/transfer if your LTC address is out of date; but he is very "special".

FWIW FRB received my change of address on Monday. I verified my license using the EFA10 portal and it shows as valid with my TX address. I know that the PD received the letter Saturday.

Only question now is if they will mail me a new LTC with my TX address.

Stay tuned.
Address changes do not trigger a re-printing of the LTC with the current address.

When an LTC replacement is ordered, it is done through the issuing agency, and the replacement LTC is delivered to that agency, not the LTC holder. If it is mailed to the LTC holder, it is because the issuing agency has chosen to do so. (some departments mail LTCs, others require they be picked up).

Thanks. My last one was mailed to our old address and forwarded to a temporary address. The PD has my permanent address, so I'll see what, anything happens.

Address changes do not trigger a re-printing of the LTC with the current address.

When an LTC replacement is ordered, it is done through the issuing agency, and the replacement LTC is delivered to that agency, not the LTC holder. If it is mailed to the LTC holder, it is because the issuing agency has chosen to do so. (some departments mail LTCs, others require they be picked up).

TLDR, IIRC One is supposed to turn in your LTC to the issuing authority when moving out of state. I cut mine up into itty bitty pieces laughing like crazy. I moved in "08, Nobody's kicked my door in yet. I'm never moving back, [rockon]

No. There is nothing in MA law that requires you to do that.
At least one town makes you mail it back - Seekonk PD. Who knows what other town PDs send you a 'mail back that LTC' letter. My friend in CT got one and the letter said he was required to mail it back, and if he wanted to carry in MA again, he is welcome to apply for the non-resident LTC. Didn't want to disrespect the cops' authoriTAY and piss off the powerful people in charge when he wanted the non-res so he mailed it back lol.

At least one town makes you mail it back - Seekonk PD.
“Makes” you? No, they ask you.
Who knows what other town PDs send you a 'mail back that LTC' letter. My friend in CT got one and the letter said he was required to mail it back, and if he wanted to carry in MA again, he is welcome to apply for the non-resident LTC. Didn't want to disrespect the cops' authoriTAY and piss off the powerful people in charge when he wanted the non-res so he mailed it back lol.
We’ve discussed this before. Your friend let himself get intimidated. He should have just thrown the letter in the trash. What was the Seekonk PD going to do? Send a cop to CT to retrieve the license?

If he had thrown away the letter chances are Seekonk PD would have done bupkis.

Once again, there is nothing in MA law that requires you to surrender or destroy your LTC if you move out of state. You need to do the standard change of address notifications. There is nothing in the law that requires you to do anything more.

“Makes” you? No, they ask you.

We’ve discussed this before. Your friend let himself get intimidated. He should have just thrown the letter in the trash. What was the Seekonk PD going to do? Send a cop to CT to retrieve the license?

If he had thrown away the letter chances are Seekonk PD would have done bupkis.

Once again, there is nothing in MA law that requires you to surrender or destroy your LTC if you move out of state. You need to do the standard change of address notifications. There is nothing in the law that requires you to do anything more.
Seekonk doesn't send something to Chelsea saying this guy didn't respect their authority and to not issue a non-res in the future? Wait, the "suitability" bullshit is out the window now right? I think if it weren't for him wanting a non-res and didn't want to jeopardize his 'chances' at getting issued one again, if he wasn't ever planning to carry in MA again, prob would have ignored it yes.

Seekonk doesn't send something to Chelsea saying this guy didn't respect their authority and to not issue a non-res in the future?
What are they going to send?
Wait, the "suitability" bullshit is out the window now right? I think if it weren't for him wanting a non-res and didn't want to jeopardize his 'chances' at getting issued one again, if he wasn't ever planning to carry in MA again, prob would have ignored it yes.

A notice to Chelsea that they revoked the LTC. This will show up on any future record check by a MA department considering issuance of a resident or non-resident LTC.
Yes, they could. Do you think they really would? Could that revocati9n be challenged in court?

Yes, they could. Do you think they really would? Could that revocati9n be challenged in court?
Since suitability no longer is valid, suspending/revoking due to "he didn't respect my authority" is exceptionally thin ice for a PD to tread. No way that it would stand up in court and I'm sure that FRB would just laugh at that sort of request.

I was under the impression suitability was still in place post Bruen, what changed?
Nothing, it still is in place.
Since suitability no longer is valid, suspending/revoking due to "he didn't respect my authority" is exceptionally thin ice for a PD to tread. No way that it would stand up in court and I'm sure that FRB would just laugh at that sort of request.
Who said suitability is no longer valid?

A revocation for failure to file change of address is the ONLY revocation that does not terminate the protections against criminal prosecution provided y an expired LTC.
Nothing, it still is in place.

Who said suitability is no longer valid?
The standard is "dangerousness" so the finding of unsuitability merely has to contain an assertion the licensing officer considers you potentially dangerous.

Stuff like "He attended Jan 6 without a weapon and was convicted of a non-violent misdemeanor, but such dissident behavior indicates he might resort to violence next time" might just fly in a DPRM court.

A revocation for failure to file change of address is the ONLY revocation that does not terminate the protections against criminal prosecution provided y an expired LTC.

The standard is "dangerousness" so the finding of unsuitability merely has to contain an assertion the licensing officer considers you potentially dangerous.

Stuff like "He attended Jan 6 without a weapon and was convicted of a non-violent misdemeanor, but such dissident behavior indicates he might resort to violence next time" might just fly in a DPRM court.
So people here really think that this would fly with FRB? [See below]

"We suspended/revoked the LTC as unsuitable because although the person notified of a move out of state appropriately, s/he REFUSED to return the LTC when we demanded it. This makes this person a possible danger to society." Since there is NO statutory basis to demand the LTC in the case of a move, this would never stand up even in a Mass Marsupial Court.

I moved, notified, still had my MA Resident LTC and MG licenses valid in the system for 2 years, while also possessing a MA NR LTC.

Back
Top Bottom