Moved to NH, but my MA LTC hasn't expired yet...is it still valid?

It should not remain in effect since the definition of a person eligible to hold a resident ltc is a resident of mass. However repeatedly as others note, after notifying the issuing department of the new address the ltc remains active.

One client talked with the licensing authority of their town and he wrote an email to him that said the ltc remains valid until it expires

Buddy of mine from work moved out of state to CT, notified Chelsea and Seekonk PD his old town in writing. Seekonk PD sent him a letter demanding he mail to them the 'now expired LTC'. lol. You guys are saying he didn't have to?

On the website where you file EFA10s, you can GENERATE FIREARMS LICENSE VALIDATION. It lets you print out a page that says for the next 24 hours that license is "valid". After I moved to VT, every time I went back to MA I printed one out and brought it with me, just in case. My LTC expired in July on my birthday, so it was valid for about a year after we moved.

Buddy of mine from work moved out of state to CT, notified Chelsea and Seekonk PD his old town in writing. Seekonk PD sent him a letter demanding he mail to them the 'now expired LTC'. lol. You guys are saying he didn't have to?
This would be the first time I heard of that sort of thing. Now I had previously believed the same thing. Until I read the law and discovered apparently EOPS did, too, because they don't actually expire those licenses. In that case I would have told the old PD to go f*** themselves politely I'm not giving them my get out of jail free card.

Not legally. If the PD wants to be a PITA, they can suspend/revoke/expire it early.
This would be the first time I heard of that sort of thing. Now I had previously believed the same thing. Until I read the law and discovered apparently EOPS did, too, because they don't actually expire those licenses. In that case I would have told the old PD to go f*** themselves politely I'm not giving them my get out of jail free card.
As Mike says, the LTC (even if expired, but not if revoked/suspended) is a permanent exemption from criminal prosecution if found with a gun or spent .22LR casing in MA! Perhaps the PD gets off on making sure that none of their prior subjects benefit from this.

IANAL, but personally, I'd just ignore their demand.

the LTC (even if expired, but not if revoked/suspended) is a permanent exemption from criminal prosecution if found with a gun or spent .22LR casing in MA!

Can you explain how that works legally? So even in 2026 when my LTC expires I'm best to just keep it in my wallet anyway, so in the case of ever getting jammed up for having something I shouldn't, it gets me lesser charges?

It should not remain in effect since the definition of a person eligible to hold a resident ltc is a resident of mass. However repeatedly as others note, after notifying the issuing department of the new address the ltc remains active.

One client talked with the licensing authority of their town and he wrote an email to him that said the ltc remains valid until it expires
"To hold" or "To be issued"? A distinction with a difference.

Can you explain how that works legally? So even in 2026 when my LTC expires I'm best to just keep it in my wallet anyway, so in the case of ever getting jammed up for having something I shouldn't, it gets me lesser charges?
You answered your own question.

Lol, check your LTC in the MIRCS verification portal, I bet it is still valid. Even if you sent in the required-by-law ratting-on-yourself letters.

I have been of the opinion that your LTC is valid UNTIL IT EXPIRES, regardless of what the state "feels", EOPS does not actually expire these licenses even though they have the
ability to do so. There are also some issuing authorities that have told their carriers the same thing. (2nd and 3rd parties have told me their LO said it was fine)

Whatever POV you decide to go with, DO NOT THROW THAT LICENSE AWAY or grind it up. Even an expired LTC is a huge protectant from jail if you ever got caught south of the border with
something. (it reduces the punishment for base level unlawful posession from jayle down to a civil infrac + fine + maybe loss of gun lol)
Wouldn't have helped me the one time, as it was a post-ban mag.

If I move out of state, do I have to notify the chief of police in my new city?

Once FRB is notified, do they produce and mail a new LTC?

Non serious question. When I move and get a DL in my new state does the RMV expire my MA DL? ;)

I’ve heard from several cops that business owners can still carry on their Mass. LTC after an out of state move. I’ve also heard a ton of other things from cops about Mass gun laws that have no basis in reality.

When I leave, I’ll follow Marcellus Wallace’s advice from Pulp Fiction. “When you gone, you stay gone!”

Non serious question. When I move and get a DL in my new state does the RMV expire my MA DL? ;)
Yes. Notify the issuing department and no, you don’t do a thing to the state you moved into. I already had a non resident permit and the change to resident was 2 bucks I think and I had it in a week or so.
The Commiewealth didn’t send me shit but as I wrote way back here I called and they have my new OOS address and it was correct.

And just to answer the non serious question.
My MA DL was punched VOID and my ME Real ID DL was issued on the spot.

Yes. Notify the issuing department and no, you don’t do a thing to the state you moved into. I already had a non resident permit and the change to resident was 2 bucks I think and I had it in a week or so.
The Commiewealth didn’t send me shit but as I wrote way back here I called and they have my new OOS address and it was correct.

And just to answer the non serious question.
My MA DL was punched VOID and my ME Real ID DL was issued on the spot.

It's worth noting though that DLs have a myriad of state laws and agreement compacts in place as well as fed regs for RealID. It's worlds different from the OPs LTC situation. It's trivially easy to show that posessing multiple active driver's licenses isn't lawful. It's exponentially harder to show that having a resident LTC that hasn't expired yet as a nonresident is illegal... Particularly not when EOPS will even insert your NH or other state address into the record (as a side effect of the reporting requirement) and does nothing to your unexpired LTC. If this was actually illegal EOPS would either be expiring the LTCs or they'd be calling the issuing authority to do it. Neither of those things happen.

Now having said that, EOPS possibly/used/ to do both of the above, but the reports I've gotten, if i categorized them chronologically go back at least 10 years... so if there indeed was a shift, I'm not sure when it happened. It could be longer than that for all i know.

It's worth noting though that DLs have a myriad of state laws and agreement compacts in place as well as fed regs for RealID. It's worlds different from the OPs LTC situation. It's trivially easy to show that posessing multiple active driver's licenses isn't lawful. It's exponentially harder to show that having a resident LTC that hasn't expired yet as a nonresident is illegal... Particularly not when EOPS will even insert your NH or other state address into the record (as a side effect of the reporting requirement) and does nothing to your unexpired LTC. If this was actually illegal EOPS would either be expiring the LTCs or they'd be calling the issuing authority to do it. Neither of those things happen.

Now having said that, EOPS possibly/used/ to do both of the above, but the reports I've gotten, if i categorized them chronologically go back at least 10 years... so if there indeed was a shift, I'm not sure when it happened. It could be longer than that for all i know.
I realize that on DL’s. It was only a smart ass answer to his tongue in cheek comment but I was factual.

I don’t want to be a test case on any validity of what some computer screen reads by carrying a gun into MA with nothing but ME Id’s.
Something as simple as a crash could jam you up or at a minimum cost a few bucks.

There is an interstate compact that mandates this. Generally you surrender your former state's license to your new state when using it as proof of competence to avoid the road test requirement, and the new state arranges its cancellation.

Florida used to issue "valid in Florida only" licenses so snowbirds could meet the "must obtain a license once you live in FL for dxxx days" requirement without voiding your home state license, but I believe that was ended because people would then have to license valid in FL.

OP, look at all this MAsturbation about the bullshit that goes into visiting MA, life will be better when you stop tying yourself up in knots and disregard. Either don't go into MA or learn to LOL like the rest of us.

Thanks for the answer, but you know I was kidding, right?

There is an interstate compact that mandates this. Generally you surrender your former state's license to your new state when using it as proof of competence to avoid the road test requirement, and the new state arranges its cancellation.

Florida used to issue "valid in Florida only" licenses so snowbirds could meet the "must obtain a license once you live in FL for dxxx days" requirement without voiding your home state license, but I believe that was ended because people would then have to license valid in FL.

Just called for the status of my non-resident gun permit. The guy says usually takes 90 days, you applied on June 16th but it's taking longer than that. So it'll probably go out sometime towards the end of october, there is someone assigned to it

Circle jerk of all circle jerks. The answer is 1. Whatever your town PD licensing officer thinks and 2. How much risk aversion, money, time, and testicular fortitude you have to fight this in a MA court and who knows what your communist MA judge will rule, and then if you have to appeal, and then this gets taken up at the district level, SCOTUS, do you want to be the poster child of a constitutional case for licensing rules as it pertains to 2A. I say f*** all that and move out of MA if you can. Maura needs your house for illegals anyway.

Back
Top Bottom