• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moved to NH, but my MA LTC hasn't expired yet...is it still valid?

On the website where you file EFA10s, you can GENERATE FIREARMS LICENSE VALIDATION. It lets you print out a page that says for the next 24 hours that license is "valid". After I moved to VT, every time I went back to MA I printed one out and brought it with me, just in case. My LTC expired in July on my birthday, so it was valid for about a year after we moved.
I thought that was just for verifying for private sales?

I thought that was just for verifying for private sales?
Yes but the point is, it means the license is still valid in the system. People were asking if their license is still valid, according to the system mine was, for nearly a year after we moved to VT. Then it expired according to the normal expiration date.

I won't tell the OP what to do except to follow the law.

That being said, how many here have been in a situation where a cop is asking you for an LTC? ... my guess is, if that happens, you have bigger problems to worry about and need to be asking for a lawyer and shutting up.

I have had a LTC for over 12 years and before that a resident alien FID. Outside of a gun store, I have never had anyone ask to see my license.
I've been stopped for a traffic violation in MA on five occasions over the last ~35+ years. The number of times the cop asked me if there were weapons in the car: 0. The number of times the cop asked me for my LTC: 0. On four of those occasions, I was carrying. The cop didn't ask and I didn't volunteer.

Last edited:
Buddy of mine from work moved out of state to CT, notified Chelsea and Seekonk PD his old town in writing. Seekonk PD sent him a letter demanding he mail to them the 'now expired LTC'. lol. You guys are saying he didn't have to?
That's right, he didn't have to. What was Seekonk going to do about it? Send a Seekonk cop to CT, where he has no jurisdiction, to demand the LTC back?

This would be the first time I heard of that sort of thing. Now I had previously believed the same thing. Until I read the law and discovered apparently EOPS did, too, because they don't actually expire those licenses. In that case I would have told the old PD to go f*** themselves politely I'm not giving them my get out of jail free card.
I wouldn't send them a letter. I would have just ignored them. Don't bother to engage. They will then expire your LTC early or they won't. Most likely they will forget about it and do nothing if you don't make yourself the nail that sticks up.

That's right, he didn't have to. What was Seekonk going to do about it? Send a Seekonk cop to CT, where he has no jurisdiction, to demand the LTC back?
Would he have had problems if he wanted to move back to MA one day, somewhere in the MA system Seekonk PD would suggest Chelsea blacklist this guy for suitability? Or post Bruen we're all done with that bullshit?

Would he have had problems if he wanted to move back to MA one day, somewhere in the MA system Seekonk PD would suggest Chelsea blacklist this guy for suitability? Or post Bruen we're all done with that bullshit?
Chelsea isn't going to "blacklist" someone. There is no such thing. He followed the law, end of story. Now if he was dumb enough to move back to Seekonk, that's a different story.

I wouldn't send them a letter. I would have just ignored them. Don't bother to engage. They will then expire your LTC early or they won't. Most likely they will forget about it and do nothing if you don't make yourself the nail that sticks up.

The whole thing is much ado about nothing because most PDs arent that f***ed up. Most just file your shit in a cabinet and don't care. probably 95%.

I went to the FRB website, filled out the PDF form on line, printed two of them out and sent them certified mail to my old PD and the FRB, no fancy letter telling them how much I hate their state or other BS, just official form they provide. (link from my old town PD)
My LTC is good for 2 more years.

I moved to NH last year. Sent in the form to FRB and PD notifying of my move to NH back in February. I just checked MIRCS/DJCIS and my MA resident LTC is still active and shows my current NH address.
We moved and notified a few years ago, my late Wife's LTC doesn't expire until 2025 and is still active (with NH address). At an ground-breaking in our former MA town, I was talking with the deputy police chief (a person known to me and my Wife) and told him of my Wife's passing. I guarantee you that her LTC will still be allowed to naturally expire in 2025.
Subbed.
This should be a stickie.
Nobody bothers to read the stickies, so it really doesn't matter.

Just to update the thread, I sent in my change of address notification to both the FRB and my issuing PD with certified mail, and both letters were signed for and delivered almost 3 weeks ago, and my address hasn't been updated yet. But reading some of the above replies it seems like it takes them quite a long while to update. My LTC is still active in the system, but it still shows my old MA address. I wonder how long it will take them.

Just to update the thread, I sent in my change of address notification to both the FRB and my issuing PD with certified mail, and both letters were signed for and delivered almost 3 weeks ago, and my address hasn't been updated yet. But reading some of the above replies it seems like it takes them quite a long while to update. My LTC is still active in the system, but it still shows my old MA address. I wonder how long it will take them.
I replied on my time frame.

Lol, check your LTC in the MIRCS verification portal, I bet it is still valid. Even if you sent in the required-by-law ratting-on-yourself letters.

I have been of the opinion that your LTC is valid UNTIL IT EXPIRES, regardless of what the state "feels", EOPS does not actually expire these licenses even though they have the
ability to do so. There are also some issuing authorities that have told their carriers the same thing. (2nd and 3rd parties have told me their LO said it was fine)

Whatever POV you decide to go with, DO NOT THROW THAT LICENSE AWAY or grind it up. Even an expired LTC is a huge protectant from jail if you ever got caught south of the border with
something. (it reduces the punishment for base level unlawful posession from jayle down to a civil infrac + fine + maybe loss of gun lol)

So he should keep his LTC rather than apply for an out of state license?

I will be sending in my change of address form tomorrow. The FRB has a number that you can call to record the change of address, but the written notification must be sent to the PD by certified mail. I'll report back what happens.

As to my DL, TX required me to turn mine in when I went to the DPS office to get my TX DL. They take that stuff quite seriously as you need either a DL, ID, or other proof of citizenship to vote. You also need proof of legal status to get the DL in the first place. You also have to provide proof of vehicle registration or sign an affidavit that you don't own any vehicles.

Actually, the process to get a LTC in TX is easier.

Yes. Notify the issuing department and no, you don’t do a thing to the state you moved into. I already had a non resident permit and the change to resident was 2 bucks I think and I had it in a week or so.
The Commiewealth didn’t send me shit but as I wrote way back here I called and they have my new OOS address and it was correct.

And just to answer the non serious question.
My MA DL was punched VOID and my ME Real ID DL was issued on the spot.

As to my DL, TX required me to turn mine in when I went to the DPS office to get my TX DL. They take that stuff quite seriously as you need either a DL, ID, or other proof of citizenship to vote. You also need proof of legal status to get the DL in the first place. You also have to provide proof of vehicle registration or sign an affidavit that you don't own any vehicles.
You have to provide proof of residence, but Texas does not require proof of citizenship to vote.

I believe you are incorrect on this. It might have been indirect, but when we did our DLs they asked us if we wanted to vote as well. Since we both checked yes (can't wait to vote for a Republican who can win!) we had to prove citizenship via birth certificates. The process to get a DL in Texas is much more thorough than in MA. We also had to show ID to vote in the primaries, but that's a different story.
You have to provide proof of residence, but Texas does not require proof of citizenship to vote.

Back
Top Bottom