NH Gunsmith to drill/tap bull barrel for scope?

MaxStravinsky

NES Member
I have a friend who just bought a Ruger 10/22 takedown with bull barrel.

Can anyone recommend a gunsmith in NH to drill and tap the barrel for a cantilever scope mount?

Thanks!

You don’t drill for a cantilever scope mount. You drill to attack a scope base/pic rail/Weaver base. Your friend needs the base first, so the gunsmith knows the space/hole size. The job is pretty much the bread and butter of any gunsmith. Where in NH?

I have a friend who just bought a Ruger 10/22 takedown with bull barrel.

Can anyone recommend a gunsmith in NH to drill and tap the barrel for a cantilever scope mount?

Thanks!
Wouldn't it be more typical to put a rail on the receiver?
Is the takedown hookup maybe not consistent enough to retain a reasonable zero off the receiver?
Not only would a cantilever mount not be required to get the scope where it needs to be but would put it too far forward, even on the receiver.
Unless you're talking a 1x dot or mounting the cantilever backward...?

My friend thanks everyone for their replies and she responded:

*frenchman is right, I used the wrong term. I'm trying to mount a cantilever pic rail, not a scope mount.

*As for wcorey: yes, it's typical to put a rail on the receiver, but because it's a takedown and the receiver-barrel alignment can shift slightly when disassembled and resasembled, I'm trying to put the rail on the barrel instead of the receiver.

*frenchman is right, I used the wrong term. I'm trying to mount a cantilever pic rail, not a scope mount.

*As for wcorey: yes, it's typical to put a rail on the receiver, but because it's a takedown and the receiver-barrel alignment can shift slightly when disassembled and resasembled, I'm trying to put the rail on the barrel instead of the receiver.

Theres also a gunsmith who works part time out of State Line Guns in Plaistow NH

IMO/IME, it doesn't matter with a 10/22 Takedown. IF she wants a precision 22LR rifle, then there's more choices out there that will do it far better. The 'shift' with the takedown isn't enough to worry over. Plus, it should be stupid easy to 'adjust' any scope used to be 'close enough' when using it. No point in spending the $$ to install on the barrel.

Back
Top Bottom