• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for a gunsmith

I had Santurri hot rod the trigger on my 1911. I couldn’t be happier with how it came out. Price was fair and the turnaround was less than a week.

I don't want to go off track from the "looking for a gunsmith" topic, but I am interested in the Ruger SR trigger job question. And the exact work needed is quite relevant to choosing a gunsmith.

Here is my experience with the Ruger SR pistols. I own an SR9, and at one point I was interested in improving the thoroughly mediocre trigger. I did some research and concluded there is not much that could be done. The mechanism is similar to a Glock, but there is almost no aftermarket, and I concluded that slightly better than mediocre is the best it could get, and that was really not worth the hassle or expense.

A friend of mine has a Ruger SR22. I helped him look for gunsmiths that do trigger work on these, but I couldn't find any. However, I did find some videos that show that the SR22 has the strangest trigger geometry I have seen. The trigger on an SR22 has a hook instead of a sear surface, and as far as I could tell, no one works on them.

And if the pistol is an SR1911, then that is a standard blueprint 1911, and I would not call it an SR pistol. Any good smith can get a good trigger on an SR1911.

There are some other "SR" pistols as well, but I won't say more until I know what we are dealing with.

Back
Top Bottom