• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gunsmith Recommendations for Ported Barrel

Joeldiaz

NES Member
Looking for recommendations on a good gunsmith to do some barrel porting on my Canik SFx Rival Darkside. Examples of what I’m looking for are located below. Located in Brighton, MA but willing to travel if necessary. Ideally would like to go no further than about 1-1.25 hours away though. Price isn’t the biggest deal but would prefer to pay no more than $100 if I can help it. TIA

1705788598886.png
1705788627132.png

Ehh. All you need is
  • Drill Press
  • Drill Press Vise
  • 1/8 drill bit
  • an old leather belt you don't mind cutting two 3" strips out of to use in the vise so you don't mar the barrel
  • some WD40 in a spray can form to use as a cutting liquid and cooling.
For less than $150 you can have a tool you can use for many gunsmithing activities.
The entire process of drilling the holes takes 5 minutes max

These kinds of things usually go 1 of 2 ways:

- A qualified gunsmith cannot be found to do the work within the OP's demands (close to home for $100 or less).

- A "gunsmith" is found and agrees to do the work for $100 ...... and OP comes back bitching about how bad the work is

[laugh]
I’ve got no idea how much it costs to port a barrel or whether Greg Derr even offers that service. I will say that I’m a satisfied customer — Greg has worked on several of my guns and I think he did a great job.

You dont need a gunsmith to port a barrel. I think a sinker edm would be the preferred way and a mill for the slide.

question is , why? Looks cool ? You want to cloud your vision with smoke ?

What are you expecting to accomplish by porting a 9mm barrel? Porting in the top of the barrel will just cloud your vision while sighting. This is a big waste of money, time and barrel. I think you just want a cheap gun to look cool.

Last edited:
Just wondering here. If you drill those holes will there be small burrs in the rifling that need to be deburred? If so how hard is it to deburr that without screwing with the rifling? Just curious about the process. Edit: Also would it really matter much for a pistol at close ranges?

I would put my $100 towards more ammo and training before porting a Canik. Better yet start saving for a comped gun!
I take it you haven't touched or shot a Rival. This is a proper competition pistol exceeding Glock 34 in almost every respect. I have shot Rival(making friends with folks at your gun club is a far more enjoyable way of trying new guns than renting or fondling guns at a store. Way more fun! Plus, you gain friends.), and it is TOP NOTCH!

What are you expecting to accomplish by porting a 9mm barrel? Porting in the top of the barrel will just cloud your vision while sighting. This is a big waist of money, time and barrel. I think you just want a cheap gun to look cool.
Not only that, it will get dirty and nasty. Total pain in the a** to clean.

But it is what he wants. I just don't see him getting it for $100. They will have to cut it and re-finish the barrel. Not sure if they can just re-finish the inside of the holes.

Also, I wonder if that could mess up the rifling.

This sounds harder than just throwing the gun in a press and drilling a few holes.

For under a hundred??? That seems like you have some unreasonable expectation.

Those examples that you posted from Reddit. Did they say how much it cost them? Ship your upper to those people if it was cheap

Price isn’t the biggest deal but would prefer to pay no more than $100 if I can help it.
Drilling the holes isn't the problem. Do you want your barrel to shoot as straight as it did before the holes were drilled? That is going to require some 'smithin. Do you have the measurements for the number of, spacing and size of the holes? Best of luck. Matt

If you’re going to go down the porting route, you’ll be wise to send the slide/barrel to a reputable company who specializes in this. Companies like Impact Machine are well known in the CZ world but they work on other guns too.
I vote for the PP Ports! Whatcha think @Broc 😂
But they have cheaper options
IMG_3889.jpeg

If you’re going to go down the porting route, you’ll be wise to send the slide/barrel to a reputable company who specializes in this. Companies like Impact Machine are well known in the CZ world but they work on other guns too.
I vote for the PP Ports! Whatcha think @Broc 😂
But they have cheaper options
View attachment 841734
I think this is a great idea.

I have a d*ck camouflage stencil I will donate.

Back
Top Bottom