More Open Carry Fun

I have had a lot of coffee today.
But carrying a rifle around in places like stores wasn't the norm in my time , my Fathers time , or my Grandfathers time so I'm not sure where that comes from.
Using common sense is what separates us from the babbling idiots on the other side.
You have a RIGHT to walk around your house naked.
If your standing in front of the window with your junk out when the neighbors kids are playing right outside, it turns it into something else all together.
Common sense is what would have kept you off the sex offender registry.
Thats your fault for looking into my window ya damn perv!

And no one here is advocating going around shooting guns in the air like a bunch of Mexican banditos until people get used to it. Legally OCing is no threat to anyone else.

Couple of serious questions .
You drop the kids off at school, as you go to pull out you see a guy going into the side door with a rifle or shotgun.
Do you
A: Beep at him, give him a thumbs up and go along your merry way.
B: Have a WTF moment and react.
If it's B your argument is shot.
If it's A I feel sorry for the kids.

You and the Mrs. are out for a Movie and someone comes in the emergency exit with both a rifle and shotgun.
as in Colorado.
Do you
A: Say , " Hey nice rifle there Guy."
B: Get the wife to the floor and grab your carry piece.
Remember, according to some it's cool anyplace anytime and if you think it's not your a freedom hating anti.

False analogy. Mis-characterizing positions. Doing both to excuse another important factor, mainly thinking and drawing valid conclusions based on that. If you think a guy shooting people in a movie theater is parallel analogy to a guy simply walking with a slung rifle, I think you need to try and think harder about a more appropriate analogy. But if you want to play, wouldn't a guy with a rifle have come in handy to counter the murderer? No? Probably not. He'd just have commented on how nice the rifle is while people are being murdered. That makes sense.

You see someone come into the theater carrying a rifle, or another public place, you're saying it wouldn't raise your suspicions ONE bit??

You drop the kids off at school, as you go to pull out you see a guy going into the side door with a rifle or shotgun.
Do you

You and the Mrs. are out for a Movie and someone comes in the emergency exit with both a rifle and shotgun.
as in Colorado.
Do you
Remember, according to some it's cool anyplace anytime and if you think it's not your a freedom hating anti.
Your argument is lame, how is he carrying the rifle at the school zone? On his back or low/high ready? It's only threatening if he's brandishing.
And if anyone comes in through the emergency exit of a theater I would be ducking and pulling out the G30, because that's not the way they're supposed to enter.

If a person was walking in my neighborhood with a long gun I would be thankful for the police checking the person out. And as it turned out the subject was out looking for a confrontation with law enforcement.
So, you watched a different video then. What I saw was an unconstitutional stop (4th), an unconstitutional search (check the ar's serial#), infringement on his free speech (female officer tells him to stfu), and I guess unloading the mag and throwing the ammo into the dirt could be seen as destruction of property. According to the 9th circuit, open carry, where allowed to do so, does not constitute reasonable suspicion (I believe it is CA vs Black, not sure tho).
And according to you, it was the young vet who was looking for a confrontation? The ONLY positive thing about this video was that Ocifer Hernandez was kinda easy on the eyes, and that's about it.
14 posts in, and I already don't like you, pal.

Do you

as in Colorado.
Do you

I agree that this is a flawed analogy here. Side door? Emergency exit? This would be obviously suspicious behavior, regardless of whether a firearm is present or not.

Please try again.

Last edited:
You see someone come into the theater carrying a rifle, or another public place, you're saying it wouldn't raise your suspicions ONE bit??

Not at all what I think. Being observant, cautious, or yes, even suspicious, is probably a pretty good idea. What else is a good idea? Drawing a valid or likely valid conclusion to those observations rather than immediately freaking out and getting the police involved, or getting involved yourself.

Guy walking with slung rifle. Maybe unusual, but if that is all he is doing, whatever. Not my business. Not the cops business.

Guy entering business wearing mask and rifle in hand. A big deal. Totally my business. That is more than just unusual.

The first is someone exercising a right. The second is someone in the process of taking away peoples rights. I thought that would be obvious.

Bearing arms = Exercising rights.
Shooting people = Infringing rights.

Not at all what I think. Being observant, cautious, or yes, even suspicious, is probably a pretty good idea. What else is a good idea? Drawing a valid or likely valid conclusion to those observations rather than immediately freaking out and getting the police involved, or getting involved yourself.

Guy walking with slung rifle. Maybe unusual, but if that is all he is doing, whatever. Not my business. Not the cops business.

Guy entering business wearing mask and rifle in hand. A big deal. Totally my business. That is more than just unusual.

The first is someone exercising a right. The second is someone in the process of taking away peoples rights. I thought that would be obvious.

Bearing arms = Exercising rights.
Shooting people = Infringing rights.
Nailed it. +1

Do you

as in Colorado.
Do you

Pfff and I thought your 1st analogy sucked. Congrats you totally redeemed yourself

False analogy. Mis-characterizing positions. Doing both to excuse another important factor, mainly thinking and drawing valid conclusions based on that. If you think a guy shooting people in a movie theater is parallel analogy to a guy simply walking with a slung rifle, I think you need to try and think harder about a more appropriate analogy. But if you want to play, wouldn't a guy with a rifle have come in handy to counter the murderer? No? Probably not. He'd just have commented on how nice the rifle is while people are being murdered. That makes sense.

His analogy was valid. Either you support open carry of rifles, or you don't. Since you support what this guy was doing, where do you think the line should be drawn?

- - - Updated - - -

Pfff and I thought your 1st analogy sucked. Congrats you totally redeemed yourself

I love the way most of the guys on this forum snake out of answering tough questions by attacking someone's analogy. Answer his question.

my exercising a constitutional right causing you to panic and piss your pants is not my problem or a reason for a cop to violate my rights.

another NES 'out yourself' thread

His analogy was valid. Either you support open carry of rifles, or you don't. Since you support what this guy was doing, where do you think the line should be drawn?

- - - Updated - - -

I love the way most of the guys on this forum snake out of answering tough questions by attacking someone's analogy. Answer his question.

I'm guessing he believes there IS no line.

Your argument is lame, how is he carrying the rifle at the school zone? On his back or low/high ready? It's only threatening if he's brandishing.
And if anyone comes in through the emergency exit of a theater I would be ducking and pulling out the G30, because that's not the way they're supposed to enter.

He could be carrying it any way you want.
As for school zone, irrelevant , it's anywhere, anytime, right?
It might be the janitor exercising his 2A rights.
You don't know, but your not supposed to question according to some.
The question remains, what do you do?

- - - Updated - - -

The answer is obvious of course what he described would be shady. Tell me WTF that has to do with the video in the Op.

If a guys walking with a slung rifle IDGAF

If he's sneaking in emergency exits at the ready thats different. Common sense should tell you if your in danger, your trying to twist open carry into perceived threat

Last edited:
He could be carrying it any way you want.
As for school zone, irrelevant , it's anywhere, anytime, right?
It might be the janitor exercising his 2A rights.
You don't know, but your not supposed to question according to some.
The question remains, what do you do?
It's completely dependent on how he's carrying like I stated in my last post. Is he brandishing or carrying?

I agree that this is a flawed analogy here. Side door? Emergency exit? This would be obviously suspicious behavior, regardless of whether a firearm is present or not.

Please try again.

Fair enough, disregarding the second question.
How about the first?
Keep in mind that's YOUR kid you just dropped off and not some faceless name in a newspaper.

It's completely dependent on how he's carrying like I stated in my last post. Is he brandishing or carrying?

Just carrying.
Nothing threatening, just walking through a different door than the ones your kids went through.
Would you just drive off and go about your business ?

I would try and start a conversation with him if I was close enough to gauge him out but if he passed the sniff test then yeah I'd be fine. More people with rifles to me would never be a bad thing.

Last edited:
I would try and start a conversation with him if I was close enough to gauge him out but if he passed the sniff test then yeah I'd be fine. More people with rifles to me would never be a bad thing.

This is what should have happened with the cops in the video. I have no problem with AN(one) officer making contact with someone in this situation. A 2 minute conversation about the weather should give enough of a "feel" to satisfy dynamic linear threat level assessment. What happened here was pure idiocy.

This is what should have happened with the cops in the video. I have no problem with AN(one) officer making contact with someone in this situation. A 2 minute conversation about the weather should give enough of a "feel" to satisfy dynamic linear threat level assessment. What happened here was pure idiocy.
Agreed. We are brainwashed into over reaction. I understand being cautious but there needs to be more of the R E L A X mentality too.

Tell me you are joking. Murdering people in a movie theater is not the same thing as open carrying. The line is pretty clear. I even made it more obvious. Bearing arms and murder are not analogous and if you think so you have some severe comprehension issues going on.

- - - Updated - - -

He compared the Colorado shootings to a guy carrying a slung rifle. It wasn't a question meant to be answered with any seriousness. I don't support murder. I support ones right to bear arms. I'm sorry you don't like the answer because it doesn't fit with your views.

as in Colorado.

That was added for a very specific reason. It wasn't a serious question.

Last edited:
Tell me you are joking. Murdering people in a movie theater is not the same thing as open carrying. The line is pretty clear. I even made it more obvious. Bearing arms and murder are not analogous and if you think so you have some severe comprehension issues going on.

- - - Updated - - -

He compared the Colorado shootings to a guy carrying a slung rifle. It wasn't a question meant to be answered with any seriousness. I don't support murder. I support ones right to bear arms. I'm sorry you don't like the answer because it doesn't fit with your views.

That was added for a very specific reason. It wasn't a serious question.

It was serious.
I said someone entering like the guy did.
I didn't say anything about shooting. You did.
But based on what did happen, even though the guy is doing nothing, do you get ready to rock and roll or just chill out and say "Oh look honey it's an O.C. hero?"

Are you against the open carry of firearms?

no, open carry shouldn't be illegal, but neither should Speedos, well maybe they should, but in any case it doesn't mean people have to actually wear them! yet, on the other hand, maybe the more people saw guns being worn/used safely, the more their narrow, little minds would accept the truth!

Last edited:
It was serious.
I said someone entering like the guy did.
I didn't say anything about shooting. You did.

There would be no need to say "like Colorado", if you weren't referencing the shooting. You could easily describe the how using descriptive words and modifiers. You didn't, because that wasn't what you were going for.

But based on what did happen, even though the guy is doing nothing, do you get ready to rock and roll or just chill out and say "Oh look honey it's an O.C. hero?"

I couldn't have been more clear before in my earlier post. Whether I agree with his actions or not are NOT CONDITIONAL to his right to do so.

I am certain some of you don't realize it. But the truth is, though not to nearly an extreme, by arguing against the bearing of arms in ANY manner, in this case, open carry of long guns, is along the same line as when people argue against the open carry of a handgun, the conceal carry of a handgun, or any sort of carry at all. It directly conflicts with the nature of the 2nd Amendment.

So if you want to say, "where do you draw the line?", I ask you this. What line, and why should it be drawn? That to me, indicates that certain infringements are indeed okay. I'm not okay with that. I find these views, especially coming from gun owners who portray themselves as supporters of the right to bear arms, very disappointing. Just because you may not be against the 2nd Amendment, doesn't mean you SUPPORT it.

Back
Top Bottom