• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Minot Air Force Base Loses M240 Machine Gun

More than likely paint rounds since they didnt say what type of rounds were lost. As for the 240b, bet it's out for reset and some supply rat didnt fill out his paperwork correctly.

My brother was stationed there when they flew around with the nukes, he says no way they didn’t realize during takeoff.

One machine gun vs all the nukes they have there, insignificant. Sucks for all on base though they’re gonna all get pee pee slapped.

My brother was stationed there when they flew around with the nukes, he says no way they didn’t realize during takeoff.

One machine gun vs all the nukes they have there, insignificant. Sucks for all on base though they’re gonna all get pee pee slapped.

I remember that story when it came out.

I noticed a number of commenters - who seemed like they should know having been involved in the military with nukes or aviation in some form or fashion - who were making statements just like you just did : " no way they didn't know".

When leads to another question - which I'm sure that NOBODY wants to answer : " well if they knew - then what the hell was going on? "

Back in the day, in the darkest woods of Alabama, we were warned watch your weapons the locals would steal them. Heads up grab what you can.
My cousin did his Marine basic training on Paris Island. When they went out on overnights where they used tents, they were told their rifles were to be stored inside their sleeping bags at night so they would not be stolen while they slept.
New
More than likely paint rounds since they didnt say what type of rounds were lost. As for the 240b, bet it's out for reset and some supply rat didnt fill out his paperwork correctly.
My bet is gold tops. I doubt the army would offer a $5000 reward for a case of paint rounds.

Last edited:
Id be real torn about turning in something i found, since i would probably turn it in. Id have to atleast take a video of me shooting it, theyd probably be pissed but it would be so funny to use it and return it. That cant be illegal..
I could find it, shoot it, and return it all in a matter of hours... but it would take some time to resist the urge to keep it.

My cousin did his Marine basic training on Paris Island. When they went out on overnights where they used tents, they were told their rifles were to be stored inside their sleeping bags at night so they would not be stolen while they slept.

My bet is gold tops. I doubt the army would offer a $5000 reward for a case of paint rounds.

Wouldn’t posting sentries be the tactical thing to do?

Id be real torn about turning in something i found, since i would probably turn it in. Id have to atleast take a video of me shooting it, theyd probably be pissed but it would be so funny to use it and return it. That cant be illegal..
I could find it, shoot it, and return it all in a matter of hours... but it would take some time to resist the urge to keep it.
No sir, I didn't also find the 20k rounds of ammo and that barrel was melted when I found it.

Maybe. Article is suspect as it doesn't even mention if the base was locked down. No one would even be able to fart the wrong way and there are not too many times where live mk19 rounds are taken out for training. Usually only when you are about to deploy and have to qualify on the gunner tables. I doubt they would call off the search for live rounds.. but it is the Air Force.

Gold tops = HE (high explosive) rounds........... at least that's what I recollect.

There's a bunch of gold tops. HE, HEDP even some sexy thermobaric rounds.

Seriously? Wow.
Police are treated as highly trusted members of society. Soldiers are not. Just look at how police may carry off duty, but a soldier caught on base with even a single live round not under specific orders to be armed is in deep kimchee.

And, last I heard, the lockers in the police dressing rooms have locks on them.

That's it? One stinkin 240 bravo? I remember my company having 2 Milan launchers that weren't on the books. They were passed down from captain to captain, and none of them ever bothered investigating. Nobody wanted to be the guy who a) had to go through all the paperwork to return them to division, and b) none of them wanted to be the guy who threw the ones before him under the bus. Also, there was a few cloth shopping bags with frags and smokes in the armory that came out of nowhere. We had plenty of spare bayonets, and a couple of Mac 50 pistols as well.
Shhhh.

Wouldn’t posting sentries be the tactical thing to do?

They do. Two of them every night. They call it "fire watch". At least, they did once upon a time.

The concern was other marines stealing guns.

Which makes no sense to me, because there is no way you are getting off the Island with it as a recruit. Unless they had a problem with enlisted guys sneaking into tents to steal rifles?.

Seriously? Wow.
By stealing he does not in any way mean steal it and sell it or even keep it. He means steal it to get another marine in the shit for losing his weapon. Trust me......sensitive items are checked twice a day (at least they are in the army)......someone don't have all their sensitive items and it's LOCKDOWN till it's found.

They do. Two of them every night. They call it "fire watch". At least, they did once upon a time.

Which makes no sense to me, because there is no way you are getting off the Island with it as a recruit. Unless they had a problem with enlisted guys sneaking into tents to steal rifles?.
He means steal it to get another marine in the shit for losing his weapon. You'd be surprised at the practical jokes and f*** f*** games soldiers and Marines play

By stealing he does not in any way mean steal it and sell it or even keep it. He means steal it to get another marine in the shit for losing his weapon. Trust me......sensitive items are checked twice a day (at least they are in the army)......someone don't have all their sensitive items and it's LOCKDOWN till it's found.

That makes sense to me, lol. “dude have you seen my M16?”

What about all those lost .50 rounds from when the tankers are practicing firing with the hatch closed?

Back
Top Bottom