Minot Air Force Base Loses M240 Machine Gun

"My cousin did his Marine basic training on Paris Island. When they went out on overnights where they used tents, they were told their rifles were to be stored inside their sleeping bags at night so they would not be stolen while they slept."*****
Drill Sergeants would try to grab your rifle as you slept and if they did you were in deep shit. You either kept the M16 inside your fart sack or wrapped the sling around your wrist.

"My cousin did his Marine basic training on Paris Island. When they went out on overnights where they used tents, they were told their rifles were to be stored inside their sleeping bags at night so they would not be stolen while they slept."*****
Drill Sergeants would try to grab your rifle as you slept and if they did you were in deep shit. You either kept the M16 inside your fart sack or wrapped the sling around your wrist.

We used to route our BDU belts through the carrying handle. Same reason. Ft Sill 1994.

As for the subject of the thread... bad leaders lead badly. It should be no shock when Missile Command blows it. It’s the Chemical Corps of the USAF: no sane officer wants to go sit uselessly in a silo for twenty years in Cheyenne, Wyoming, so your crappiest cadets probably assess Missiles.

I’m never shocked by any of the drug rings, morale problems, or cheating scandals. Or lost weapons.

This. It was more about trying to make an 18 year old boot feel personally accountable for something than any real concern of theft.

This. It was more about trying to make an 18 year old boot feel personally accountable for something than any real concern of theft.
Correct. I know a National Guard Company Commander who was relived because his full timer transferred some M16's to another Company and didn't do paperwork, arms room inventory reported them missing and he took the hit..

Back in the day, in the darkest woods of Alabama, we were warned watch your weapons the locals would steal them. Heads up grab what you can.

We had 3 M16's stolen when I went through Basic Training at Ft. Leonard Wood in MO.
... and not by a Drill Sgt. looking for a shitload of pushups...

many years ago we were doing a night time Company movement in a State park. Pitch dark, could only see the cat eyes on the Joe in front of you. Many security halts, get off the trail, take a knee or after 30 seconds get in the prone facing out. we're in the prone and we hear two Soldiers come running down the trial past us heading back where we came from. In the halt for over 30 minutes and the Soldiers come running back the other way up to the front of the column. We get the signal and continue moving. When we finally reach our destination we find out some dip shit PVT. laid down at a security halt and then left his weapon against a tree as we moved on. How the *** do you forget you weapon? How they found it in the pitch dark is beyond me but thank God he wasn't one of mine?

Gee, seems a helluva-lot easier to get illegal machine guns than it does to legally purchase a gun these days. Maybe going after the law-abiding all the time isn't working out so well?

many years ago we were doing a night time Company movement in a State park. Pitch dark, could only see the cat eyes on the Joe in front of you. Many security halts, get off the trail, take a knee or after 30 seconds get in the prone facing out. we're in the prone and we hear two Soldiers come running down the trial past us heading back where we came from. In the halt for over 30 minutes and the Soldiers come running back the other way up to the front of the column. We get the signal and continue moving. When we finally reach our destination we find out some dip shit PVT. laid down at a security halt and then left his weapon against a tree as we moved on. How the *** do you forget you weapon? How they found it in the pitch dark is beyond me but thank God he wasn't one of mine?
That private should have done grass drills till he f***ing puked.

33092243_1910664345619910_7101578761505603584_n.jpg

"
WASHINGTON (AP) — One airman said he felt paranoia. Another marveled at the vibrant colors. A third admitted, “I absolutely just loved altering my mind.”

Meet service members entrusted with guarding nuclear missiles that are among the most powerful in America’s arsenal. Air Force records obtained by The Associated Press show they bought, distributed and used the hallucinogen LSD and other mind-altering illegal drugs as part of a ring that operated undetected for months on a highly secure military base in Wyoming. After investigators closed in, one airman deserted to Mexico.

“Although this sounds like something from a movie, it isn’t,” said Capt. Charles Grimsley, the lead prosecutor of one of several courts martial.

A slipup on social media by one airman enabled investigators to crack the drug ring at F.E. Warren Air Force Base in March 2016, details of which are reported here for the first time. Fourteen airmen were disciplined. Six of them were convicted in courts martial of LSD use or distribution or both.

None of the airmen was accused of using drugs on duty. Yet it’s another blow to the reputation of the Air Force’s nuclear missile corps, which is capable of unleashing hell in the form of Minuteman 3 intercontinental ballistic missiles, or ICBMs. The corps has struggled at times with misbehavior, mismanagement and low morale."
Security troops on US nuclear missile base took LSD

Isn't it true that Federal Laws don't apply to Indian Reservations? Could the MG be there and not subject to prosecution?

I don’t know. But I SERIOUSLY doubt that the Reservation system would have been established under any law that didn’t let the feds keep heavy weapons away from the “savages.”

This. We didn't have sleeping bags at PI in 2008, but the whopping 2 nights spent in the field we had them slung under our poncho liners. In infantry school they slept in our sleeping bags in our tents. In the real Marine Corps in the tents was sufficient. We did a fair amount of sleeping under the stars, in which case they were in your sleeping bag.

We always posted at least one watch when weapons were drawn or when we were in the field. Depending where we were, even stateside, the watch may or may not be armed (with ammo).

The weapons theft risk is real. Not typically from other members of your platoon, but whoever else may be on base. Some of these range complexes are surprisingly entirely open to the public. They can drive/hike/walk through. Even in secure bases its not hard for civilians to get on to hunt, surf, etc. From what we were told some people became quite adept at walking off with stuff.

Funny story. As a young LCpl I left my rifle in a weapons stack while filling sandbags. The douche on rifle watch put my rifle on the hood of a HMMWV and walked off after the rest od the group finished and I was still walking back. Of course an NCO of mine grabbed it, hid it, and ultimately had me paracord it to myself for a few days. I insist I got screwed over, but that was a valuable training tool that I'm happy to say was paid forward a handful of times. I still have nightmares I can't find my rifle... completely unrelated to any specific incident.

We also got held up at the airport after an officer in an entirely unrelated unit left his rifle in a portapotty in 29 palms only for it to never be seen again. 150 miles away we were made to dump our bags before getting on a flight. On a seperate occasion we had our wall lockers tossed looking for a missing peq-16 that had simply been improperly entered into the books months earlier

Mike

The concern was other marines stealing guns.
When I was at the Precision Weapons Shop in Quantico, we had a Marine just get assigned to us from PI. Shortly after he was arrested. Turns out he was part of a major theft ring at the PI armory. This was around late 1999-2000.

Back
Top Bottom