• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Micro / Compact

shakti

NES Member
Hello,

I am interested in hearing from people who have compact / micro and what they think about these.

Specifically, I would like to know you experience
- caliber? barrel length?
- it is EDC material?
- how is the recoil?
- any optics? how does it affect EDC?
- if you have more than one, can you compare the two?

Thank you

What do you mean by micro? Are you looking for a pocket gun or a gun you will carry in a holster? For a pocket gun, I haven’t found anything better than my Kahr PM9. It is in 9mm. It isn’t something you are going to put 200 rounds through in a range visit, but it isn’t punishing. You won’t fit a red dot on it. I’ve put a laser on mine as I have old eyes and have a hard time focusing on the sights.

For a small gun in a belt holster, I like the Glock 43x. I haven’t tried the P365xl, but that fills the same niche. I’ve put a Holosun 507k on mine. Recoil isn’t bad, but it is noticeably more than my Glock 19. I find the 19 easier to shoot, but the 43x easier to conceal. So it is always a trade off.

I never carry the Kahr PM9 in a belt holster and I never carry the 43x in a pocket. YMMV.

Last edited:
Hello,

I am interested in hearing from people who have compact / micro and what they think about these.

- it is EDC material?
- how is the recoil?

Thank you

Either go with friends and try theirs before you buy.

OR

Go to a Range like Mass Firearms School, where you can try any handgun for $10 each (many models are free to borrow for members)

Last edited:
What do you mean by micro? Are you looking for a pocket gun or a gun you will carry in a holster? For a pocket gun, I haven’t found anything better than my Kahr PM9. It is in 9mm. It isn’t something you are going to put 200 rounds through in a range visit, but it isn’t punishing. You won’t fit a red dot on it. I’ve put a laser on mine as I have old eyes and have a hard time focusing on the sights.

For a small gun in a belt holster, I like the Glock 43x. I haven’t tried the P365xl, but that files the same niche. I’ve put a Holosun 507k on mine. Recoil isn’t bad, but it is noticeably more than my Glock 19. I find the 19 easier to shoot, but the 43x easier to conceal. So it is always a trade off.

I never carry the Kahr PM9 in a belt holster and I never carry the 43x in a pocket. YMMV.
I apologize for the lack of clarity.

I meant to ask about both holstered carry - 4" or less compacts and separately about pocket carry, but ended up writing a single post confusing both!

I apologize for the lack of clarity.

I meant to ask about both holstered carry - 4" or less compacts and separately about pocket carry, but ended up writing a single post confusing both!
I think you will find that you will want two different guns. For pocket carry, you want something with a small grip. But if you are going to carry in a belt holster then you can carry a gun with a larger grip that is easier to shoot.

Hello,

- it is EDC material?
- how is the recoil?

Thank you
1- 9mm parabellum, .380 ACP, 38 special (if you include revolvers). You can go here to get all the specs you want and also compare (last question) by way of weight and size for your own personal EDC: Handgun Hero

2- It all depends on how you want to carry. Some are better than others for certain types of carry positions. I wouldn't carry a hellcat in my front pocket unless I was trying to impress the ladies or back pocket to depress.

3- I'm not really recoil sensitive though as I'm now an old bag, 44's and above do tire me out after a few cylinders. As others mentioned, they are a bit more "snappy" then more of a push back but it's really all about personal perception and what you do with it.

4- I only have one pistol with 2 quick change barrels where one wears a scope and it's not a compact/micro. I personally don't need nor want the enhancements as my eyes are still better than 20/20 and I'm more than satisfied with the results I get doing rapid fire. How does it affect EDC? It makes your carry bigger.

5- Nobody will give you a complete listing of their firearms on an open forum. What I will say that to me and everything is subjective, for an all around EDC which would include capacity, size, trigger, handling/ergonomics the one I prefer is a S&W PC Shied Plus. I have others that I shoot better, others that are smaller, others that may have some single point over what the shield has but for a complete package out of the box I'd go with that.

Hello,

Those are two separate things. A Glock 19, for instance, it technically a "compact", but it dwarfs true "micro compacts" in the same caliber, like a Sig P938 or Kahr PM9.

But that said, the smaller and lighter the gun, the snappier it will feel if comparing to larger guns of the same caliber. But if we're only talking 9mm, then it's not really a control issue as much as it is a comfort issue. Larger, heavier guns are just more pleasant to shoot if shooting for long sessions.

While barrel length does change hard ballistic numbers (longer the barrel, typically better performance), the increments are rather tiny between most pistol size classes, leading to rather insignificant changes for the most part. At least for real world confrontation distances with pistol calibers.

Personally speaking, the "smallest 9mm" race was kind of dumb. I started with guns right when that was revving up and fell for it myself. Everyone was racing to make the smallest 9mm, culminating with what is possibly the best reference size in the original P365. But if you look what has happened from there, Sig has slowly been going back the other direction as the audience that fell in love with the P365 realized they actually do want a larger gun. So it was then the XL, and now the Macro. And we've practically gone full circle back to "compact". Just a little thinner now.

So in my opinion, the best "smallest" gun is a P365X or XL. There are smaller micro compacts out there, but I feel the ergo trade off is not ideal.

Since you are in MA, the easiest one to find and buy is a Sig P365 or one of the variants

If you were in a "free" state, the Glock 43X would be an option, especially with the aftermarket 15 round magazines available for them

Note: the mag release should be swapped out for a metal one if the Shield 15 round mags are going to be your primary ammunition supply device

Personally speaking, the "smallest 9mm" race was kind of dumb. I started with guns right when that was revving up and fell for it myself. Everyone was racing to make the smallest 9mm, culminating with what is possibly the best reference size in the original P365. But if you look what has happened from there, Sig has slowly been going back the other direction as the audience that fell in love with the P365 realized they actually do want a larger gun. So it was then the XL, and now the Macro. And we've practically gone full circle back to "compact". Just a little thinner now.
I don't know that they've gone "full circle."

Their modular FCU means you can fill any number of roles [Mission Adaptable!] from micro with guttersnipe sights to single-stack with compensator under a TV-set. This is not unlike the 320 starting as a full-size, but being adjustable to a subcompact with little more than a flick of the wrist.

Some owners will use many of these configurations, others may be happy with just one. The company benefits from only releasing one or two at a time, though.

I don't know that they've gone "full circle."

Their modular FCU means you can fill any number of roles [Mission Adaptable!] from micro with guttersnipe sights to single-stack with compensator under a TV-set. This is not unlike the 320 starting as a full-size, but being adjustable to a subcompact with little more than a flick of the wrist.

Some owners will use many of these configurations, others may be happy with just one. The company benefits from only releasing one or two at a time, though.
This. That gun was designed to be modular from day one when it was just a drawing.

This is not SIG going back and forth to accommodate for the market. That probably did happen when they decided which size they would release first.

What they are doing with the modular frame is awesome, it probably saves them millions in manufacturing, testing, designs, materials ...

G26 or SIG 365.

View attachment 746726

You don't need optics for a self defense situation.
1) G26 is way too fat for a pocket for me.

2) Don't assume that all defensive situations will occur at close range. Most will, but some won't. For those of us with old eyes who can't focus on sights easily, a red dot is a big help.

1) G26 is way too fat for a pocket for me.

2) Don't assume that all defensive situations will occur at close range. Most will, but some won't. For those of us with old eyes who can't focus on sights easily, a red dot is a big help.
Close range has a different meaning for everyone.

Curious, what is close range and maybe not close range for you?

Close range has a different meaning for everyone.

Curious, what is close range and maybe not close range for you?
There have been defensive shootings out past 25 yards. They aren't frequent, but they do happen. Maybe you can point shoot effectively at that range, but I certainly can't and certainly not with a Glock 26.

This is not SIG going back and forth to accommodate for the market. That probably did happen when they decided which size they would release first.
I kind of doubt they had to dither for long. They already had the service pistol category covered with the 320. Going to the far end with the 365 meant they had most of the market covered while claiming "innovation" in their 1.5-stack magazine that 100% eats the G43's lunch for capacity, trigger, and style.

Everything after that is gravy.

And I completely agree that the modular thing is the smartest part of it.
Glock accessories? Holsters. Triggers. Sights. Internals.
S&W accessories? Same.
HK? FN? Ruger? Same. Same. Same.

With any of these, if you're unhappy with the actual grip you can wrap it in a condom, attack it with a soldering iron, or glue on sand[paper]. That's about it.

Even all the metal framed pistols hang up at - well, I guess you can get new side plates...

With the Sig? You can replace [just about] Every. Dang. Piece. You can 3D make new grip frames in any shape or material you can imagine, if you want. A sufficiently driven individual could make a 320 (or even a 365) that runs G19 mags...or Uzi mags, for that matter. That person could make a carbine stock, design/build a blowback upper, and have a PCC on a Sig FCU.
genius GIF

With the Sig? You can replace [just about] Every. Dang. Piece. You can 3D make new grip frames in any shape or material you can imagine, if you want. A sufficiently driven individual could make a 320 (or even a 365) that runs G19 mags...or Uzi mags, for that matter. That person could make a carbine stock, design/build a blowback upper, and have a PCC on a Sig FCU.
genius GIF

archer-stop-my-penis-can-only-get-so-erect (1).gif

Back
Top Bottom