• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help: Full size or compact polymer help: Glock vs FN/CS/Walther/HK

Intended purpose? Game gun? Nightstand? Daily carry?

Simple answer is what fits your hand/what you shoot well at price point you can afford.

I’m a 1911 fan but chose glocks as my daily everything platform because they are like Toyotas - run forever with minimal maintenance and spare parts are abundant.

Range fun. Full size and maybe compact.

as said above, rent different ones at a range.

Between the 43X, 19 and 17 it is hard to believe you can't get a good grip, but I know some people do not like the angle of the Glock grips.

Yes I know you said full sized, but if you are in MA and limited to 10 rounds it doesn't matter that a 43X won't take more than 10+1 without the use of an aftermarket Apex mag and mag release

I have yet to find a reason to modify a Glock, they are, again as said above, the Toyota of guns ( well before Toyota quality started slipping)

If a stock Glock is to utilitarian for you there are many Gucci guns out there to choose from, and a good gunsmith and enough money can make it into whatever you want it to be, short of full auto.

Range gun. Thi sis why I am looking for a full-size.

Whatever fits your hand the best and has natural point of aim.

For me, it is Glock.
HK are good, but when I bring the gun up, the front sight is always slightly to one side, where the Glock is perfect.

Also, Glock mags are cheap. But I prefer good fit and natural aim over mag price.

Canik is the other gun I shoot really well. From the first time I ever held one, I hit every plate on the rack. So a Canik is in my future.

I tried two and they are fun to shoot. But I am not crazy about the design.

First, you need to take a soldering iron to the grips
Then, you've got to put in a $200 trigger
Next, real irons - maybe an optic.
[...]
Eventually, you're two grand in and still can't hit your target. Now, you have to take a bath flipping it to start over.

Did I mention, steel is real! Back to back world war winner has to count for something.

That. This is why I am looking for something that I can install optics on and just have fun. I would prefer to have two-three nice 'toys' that endlessly upgrade searching for perfection. Basically, I would rather buy something that I can enjoy and then I feel that I need something else to buy another one.

Start with the trigger and the stock sights. Complete junk and the first thing to go. Hell, even Glock realized their stock triggers suck and started selling a better drop in replacement for Gen 5’s.

Only took 30 years and lots of aftermarket competition to figure it out. [rofl]

“Would you like some grit with that trigger?”

Yes, I have a 19 and a 17. Both have upgraded sights, triggers and a few other goodies. The sights and triggers were the only "must do".

The slide release is also a much upgrade.

That. This is why I am looking for something that I can install optics on and just have fun. I would prefer to have two-three nice 'toys' that endlessly upgrade searching for perfection. Basically, I would rather buy something that I can enjoy and then I feel that I need something else to buy another one.
CZ Shadow 2, orange.

Start with the trigger and the stock sights. Complete junk and the first thing to go. Hell, even Glock realized their stock triggers suck and started selling a better drop in replacement for Gen 5’s.

Yes, I have a 19 and a 17. Both have upgraded sights, triggers and a few other goodies. The sights and triggers were the only "must do".
I don't know why people say the triggers are junk. Gen 5 Glock triggers are fine.

Having a hard time deciding what would be the right way to go for full-size polymer. Or maybe even compact. I would prefer to avoid endless customization and get something good out of the box. 19/17/49 needs too much work.
Huh?

The only thing a Glock needs is to replace the sights, which is easily done. While I add grip tape and an extended slide stop, those are completely optional and cheap. A 25 cen trigger job is also completely optional and easily achieved with some Flitz and a Q-tip.

I think you'll find the DA trigger on CZs and HKs are pretty terrible out of the box. But, whatever. You do you.

Last edited:

Meh. Drop in a Glock minus connector and you're fine. That costs all of $25, a punch, and watching a YouTube video. It's not the Glock's trigger that is holding me back.

CZ Shadow 2, orange.
Czechmate Parrot or GTFO
769909a1.jpg

Look at it this way: you can improve the Glock trigger with a minus connectof for $25. It won't be great, but it will be OK, and swapping out the connector is dead simple.

The Cajun Gun Works standard package parts kit for a CZ75B starts at $228 and is a pain in the backside to install in comparison.

I don't know why people say the triggers are junk. Gen 5 Glock triggers are fine.
Well, my stable of Glocks are Gen 3 and Gen 4 so that should answer your question. Since the vast majority of Glocks out in the real world are not Gen 5, and I can neither confirm nor deny your statement, I’m going to stand by my statement that Glock triggers are junk.

Whether you do a polish job, replace a spring, connector, or the whole trigger/trigger group, it still needs work out of the box. It’s cheap, but I don’t know anyone who says they “like” the stock trigger. What I have heard is that it’s a “duty” pistol or a carry pistol and you shouldn’t touch the trigger. I call bullshit on that and like I said, was the first thing I changed out after the sights.

Having a hard time deciding what would be the right way to go for full-size polymer. Or maybe even compact. I would prefer to avoid endless customization and get something good out of the box. 19/17/49 needs too much work. CS P10C/F looks good. 509... PDP... HK... Help!
Lol pure bullshit wrt "too much work"

Spend more time shooting other people's guns or renting them and see what fits you best, vs worrying about modifications.

That's not how it works Beatrice. Especially when it's not even clear that you're certain of what you want.

Huh?

The only thing a Glock needs is to replace the sights, which is easily done. While I add grip tape and an extended slide stop, those are completely optional and cheap. A 25 cen trigger job is also completely optional and easily achieved with some Flitz and a Q-tip.

I think you'll find the DA trigger on CZs and HKs are pretty terrible out of the box. But, whatever. You do you.
25 cent trigger job? Explain

Lol pure bullshit wrt "too much work"

Spend more time shooting other people's guns or renting them and see what fits you best, vs worrying about modifications.
This.

Besides, changing things on guns is usually very easy if you are patient and watch a couple of videos. It will help you understand the gun, and guns in general, since you will notice most guns are very similar when you take them apart.

If you have the tool, learn how to work on it.

Literally, doing most basic trigger work on guns is easier than changing a tire on a car. And that is easy sh*t.

Well, my stable of Glocks are Gen 3 and Gen 4 so that should answer your question. Since the vast majority of Glocks out in the real world are not Gen 5, and I can neither confirm nor deny your statement, I’m going to stand by my statement that Glock triggers are junk.
The Gen 5 trigger is significantly better than the Gen 3. The Gen 4 is worse than the Gen 3 in my experience. The Gen 5 trigger is still a stock trigger, so it isn't great.
Whether you do a polish job, replace a spring, connector, or the whole trigger/trigger group, it still needs work out of the box. It’s cheap, but I don’t know anyone who says they “like” the stock trigger.
All of those things are easy and cheap. In contrast, improving a CZ trigger isn't cheap or easy. The Glock trigger doesn't have the potential of a CZ trigger, but it is good enough.
What I have heard is that it’s a “duty” pistol or a carry pistol and you shouldn’t touch the trigger. I call bullshit on that and like I said, was the first thing I changed out after the sights.
I modify pretty much every gun I carry.

Something that feels natural and comfortable in your hand where you can get all fingers wrapped around the grip, naturally points well when you put it on target, has a great trigger and goes bang every time. For a carry gun, Glock 43X with Shield Arms latest gen 15 rd steel mags. I also like my Sig P365 Macro for a good profile, comfortable grip, good trigger and 17 rd mags. Also like my Walther PPQ and PDP, fit very naturally in my hand, awesome trigger, and very accurate little pistols. For steel frame target shooting, I have a CZ Shadow 2 that is stupid easy to shoot accurately, fast, and goes bang every time, eats any ammo I put through it. Seriously, its like a cheat mode, and also love my Walther Q4SF, phenomenal fit and finish, phenomenal trigger, has good weight, good feeling in the hand, and low recoil. If 1911s or 2011s are your thing, I also love my Colt Gold Cup Trophy and my Staccato.

Last edited:
That's not how it works Beatrice. Especially when it's not even clear that you're certain of what you want.

I don’t want to spend hundreds on updating a clock. I want to buy something to enjoy. After I get bored I want to buy another one. Don’t want to spend money and time modifying a gun just to achieve something that other brands offer. I actually love Glocks. Just don’t enjoy modifying em.

Something that feels natural and comfortable in your hand where you can get all fingers wrapped around the grip, naturally points well when you put it on target, has a great trigger and goes bang every time. For a carry gun, Glock 43X with Shield Arms latest gen 15 rd steel mags. I also like my Sig P365 Macro for a good profile, comfortable grip, good trigger and 17 rd mags. Also like my Walther PPQ and PDP, fit very naturally in my hand, awesome trigger, and very accurate little pistols. For steel frame target shooting, I have a CZ Shadow 2 that is stupid easy to shoot accurately, fast, and goes bang every time, eats any ammo I put through it. Seriously, its like a cheat mode, and also love my Walther Q4SF, has good, weight, good in the hand, and low recoil. If 1911s or 2011s are your thing, I also love my Colt Gold Cup Trophy and my Staccato.

Would you recommend skipping a full size polymer and just get a Shadow 2? I was also thinking about Shadow 2 Compact…

Back
Top Bottom