• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Man found with large-capacity firearms, ammunition William Walker, 45, jailed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pretty much figured you were a cop immediately from the tone of your post, and you are absolutely NOT my friend, so lets clear that up right up front.

Your loss! GPP is a great guy and he's admitted that he's a cop dozens of times here before. He does NOT defend those that go overboard (read some of his posts) and has said many times that he uses discretion. Painting all cops as thugs is the same as painting all gun owners as murderers . . . we don't like that when the media and others do it, so why do it to others. Judge each man/woman on their own merits, there are good and bad in every type of job.

Every guy who posts a thread here about his GF or Wife not liking guns needs to read this story and consider whether living in MA with a questionable partner is a smart life choice.

You are looking at the small picture. A 209A equivalent will jam someone up in any state (Fed law) and IF he actually was guilty of A&B Domestic he becomes a prohibited person everywhere. True the charges here wouldn't exist in 45 other states, but he'd still be in trouble. Too bad he didn't find a decent dealer who would have taken the guns and then he'd not be facing any charges. Ignorant dealers are also to blame here for refusing to do their job!!!

Can you spell the word finally properly?

That was done deliberately, and I'm glad it irritates you enough to comment on it.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm a cop. Can I NOT be your friend also?

Sure, consider it done.

- - - Updated - - -

Tom, I know you both. I like you both. I suspect you'd find GPP refreshing and honest. GPP is one of us...

Thanks Rich, but I'll pass on that.

You are looking at the small picture. A 209A equivalent will jam someone up in any state (Fed law) and IF he actually was guilty of A&B Domestic he becomes a prohibited person everywhere. True the charges here wouldn't exist in 45 other states, but he'd still be in trouble. Too bad he didn't find a decent dealer who would have taken the guns and then he'd not be facing any charges. Ignorant dealers are also to blame here for refusing to do their job!!!

You guys are on the same page, though. The core of his post is that being with crazy broads is bad. Being with crazy broads in MA is doubly bad; to the point of being insane. [laugh]

-Mike

You guys are on the same page, though. The core of his post is that being with crazy broads is bad. Being with crazy broads in MA is doubly bad; to the point of being insane. [laugh]

-Mike

YUP! I think you'd be better off getting drunk every night at the fire station and passing a loaded gun around. Better odds!

If you are with crazy, strike first, get out now!

ETA: too soon for that joke?

Don't be an azzhole and these things usually don't happen.

If you only knew how many 209As are completely bogus you wouldn't say this. I'm not saying this guy is a saint (because I don't know this but there are numerous pit bull divorce attorneys who tell their female clients to pull a 209A because it can be used as leverage to get the man to cave and just sign his life away as soon as possible to get that nightmare out of his life; particularly if said attorney knows he has a good amount of guns. The 209A allows a woman to punch a man square in the rectum for pretty much $0.00. At the emergency level there is little or no scrutiny on a 209A's legitimacy. A woman could make a false claim about a man threatening her and she'd get cart blanche issuance at least in the near term.

-Mike

If you only knew how many 209As are completely bogus you wouldn't say this. I'm not saying this guy is a saint (because I don't know this but there are numerous pit bull divorce attorneys who tell their female clients to pull a 209A because it can be used as leverage to get the man to cave and just sign his life away as soon as possible to get that nightmare out of his life; particularly if said attorney knows he has a good amount of guns. The 209A allows a woman to punch a man square in the rectum for pretty much $0.00. At the emergency level there is little or no scrutiny on a 209A's legitimacy. A woman could make a false claim about a man threatening her and she'd get cart blanche issuance at least in the near term.

-Mike

Yup. And that ignores the myriad of other ways being a male father going through a divorce in MA will get fully railroaded for life.

True as true gets. But some won't figure it out until it happens to them. Of course, by then it's too late. [thinking]

Better read MGL (or the Fed Lautenberg Act) . . . that won't work after a 209A is issued. EVERY state must confiscate and since MA requires a LTC for possession, he's done!

That's why I wouldn't be slamming the cops over this one... no sane cop that values his career and financial future is going to give someone unlawfully

possessing firearms, with a 209A hanging over their head, a break, or look the other way.

Especially when it's a matter of record by the guys wife.

-Mike

The guy is being held without bail, after all.

If it was just the firearms charges, and the firearms charges alone, he'd probably be kicking back at home right now.

-Mike

Yup. This!

The one pulled on me was for leverage. Totally blindsided and ignorant of the ways of the world.

She can lie, under oath, and never be questioned about it. Nor will you get a chance to speak. You will be bent over, you will get no due process, you will get no hearing.

You lose all your rights immediately. in 10 days, you must appear in court.

At that hearing, she will re affirm the false statements she swore to 10 days earlier. You will not be given the chance to respond, defend yourself, or provide evidence clearing your name. There is NO scrutiny of ANYTHING in a 209a hearing. The ONLY thing the woman has to say is that she's afraid. The thing in my case was that her affidavit was so laughable as to be out of a hollywood movie. (still no scrutiny and certainly no perjury charges brought by the ADA.) And my attorney just asked that the restraining order to be moved to family court and that a reciprocal restraining order be placed there. The judge asked how soon we'd file the divorce papers, said ok, left the restraining on for an 3 additional months (family court is slow) and then dropped the order 3 months later when I had filed for divorce. The judge laughed at the 10 day hearing when her attorney said "Divorce! This is the first we heard of it!". The judge replied "Of course they'll be a divorce". Judges in MA are always terrified that if they don't allow a 209a to proceed that someone gets hurt or killed and they are then in a world of hurt for not keeping it in place.

I know one Biatch who has kept a restraining order on her boyfriend from college for going on 20 years now I think. Friend of my sister in law. She is bad news and I avoid here like the plague. I think that might be one advantage of marriage. You can get that restraining order moved to family court. Of course, being married with kids, that's probably bad.

So, yes, all the 209a I have ever heard of have been bogus.

And 209as don't protect the woman. If the guy is a big enough loser/a-hole he's going to get her any way. That's why women need to be armed and carry.

- - - Updated - - -

True as true gets. But some won't figure it out until it happens to them. Of course, by then it's too late. [thinking]

And that is why ALL I can do now is scream from the rooftops "BE CAREFUL WHO YOU BREED WITH" over and over! I was lucky, no kids. God help so many guys out there.

That's why I wouldn't be slamming the cops over this one... no sane cop that values his career and financial future is going to give someone unlawfully

possessing firearms, with a 209A hanging over their head, a break, or look the other way.

If it was just the firearms charges, and the firearms charges alone, he'd probably be kicking back at home right now.

If it was a gang banger with just firearms charges alone, yes, he'd have been out on bail for whatever cash he had in his pocket. Nope, this is a middle aged middle class guy. He's gonna be made an example of. And he'll be broke as a joke for a long time. And if he doesn't have enough money, he may even spend some time in jail.

Better read MGL (or the Fed Lautenberg Act) . . . that won't work after a 209A is issued. EVERY state must confiscate and since MA requires a LTC for possession, he's done!
The federal prohibition does not kick in until the target has had an opportunity to present his/her side in court.

The MA state level prohibition has no such requirement.

The federal prohibition does not kick in until the target has had an opportunity to present his/her side in court.

The MA state level prohibition has no such requirement.

Agree on that finer point. But we both know that an extension is almost (99.9999%) issued, so waiting 10 days solves nothing and in all the other 56 (per the Big Zero) states they must confiscate when that is issued.

Root cause of the problem right there. Cops should be questioning these orders and not enforcing them if they think they are bogus. The courts and lawmakers passing dubious standards does not and should not allow police to "just enforce the law". That's bullshit.

When you're the guy enforcing something in a way that denies a citizen rights, you damn well better personally believe the allegations at hand and do your own research before confiscating anything. This is no different than retard cops executing no knock raids without even knowing who lives there.

Root cause of the problem right there. Cops should be questioning these orders and not enforcing them if they think they are bogus. The courts and lawmakers passing dubious standards does not and should not allow police to "just enforce the law". That's bullshit.

There's an easy way the cops could have been "2/3rds nice". Go to the house, serve the 209A, take the guns, throw them in evidence; but it ends there; no charges. Then the guy if he cleaned his shit up, gets a license, could get his guns back, etc. I'm going to make a WAG though that the political tenor at that PD did not allow for that to happen, though.

-Mike

That's why I wouldn't be slamming the cops over this one... no sane cop that values his career and financial future is going to give someone unlawfully possessing firearms, with a 209A hanging over their head, a break, or look the other way.

Are you really equating having morals and doing the right thing to being insane? Come on now.

The guy is in jail, no bail. Where's the victim? Or is this guy just guilty of living in Mass with a litigious spouse?

As for blaming the cops, and earlier posted concern for their careers and pensions, I'll surprise nobody by not giving a damn about their careers or pensions. If you told me to go arrest a guy and hold him without bail for the nonsense crime of owning guns or having a pissed off wife with a lawyer, I would quit. You don't do something that's wrong and explain yourself by (bizarrely) claiming it's OK because you are paid to do it.

If the guy hurt someone or even threatened them I'll be a bit more understanding. Show me the victim.

Last edited:
What the odds she will drop the 209a or not show up in court>
A couple of guys I know that had this happen them..neither married by the way/
In both cases she didn't show up and they eventually got thier guns back,
They both had valid LTC's by the way.
ggboy

If he gets charged, maybe the case will go to higher courts... It would suck for him, but might be an opportunity to set some positive precedent if the guy has a good lawyer.

Didn't read the whole thread so sorry if this has been asked.

How were the cops legally able to search his home and find the weapons? Is some random "tip" about suspected unregistered firearms probable cause for search and seizure? Did they have a search warrant?

Its hard to believe that a random accusation is enough to legally allow cops to search your home. Still, how would someone provide physical proof of this to the cops to prompt a search? Doesn't make sense.

I believe the wife handed over the job box with the guns. Search warrants are not usually needed in a 209A since there is often a family member very willing to grant access.

A 209A on a person illegally possessing guns presents an interesting constitutional question. The subject is ordered to admit to possession of any guns, including illegal ones, with a penalty for non compliance - thus forcing someone possessing guns without a license to testify against him/her self by disclosing the guns to the police.

The guy is in jail, no bail. Where's the victim? Or is this guy just guilty of living in Mass with a litigious spouse?

As for blaming the cops, and earlier posted concern for their careers and pensions, I'll surprise nobody by not giving a damn about their careers or pensions. If you told me to go arrest a guy and hold him without bail for the nonsense crime of owning guns or having a pissed off wife with a lawyer, I would quit. You don't do something that's wrong and explain yourself by (bizarrely) claiming it's OK because you are paid to do it.

If the guy hurt someone or even threatened them I'll be a bit more understanding. Show me the victim.

Some clarifications here:

- Cops merely make an arrest.
- DA in discussion with cops and reports bring the charges forward.
- He's arraigned in front of a judge the same or next business day after arrest. DA and his lawyer make their cases for bail, no bail or how much bail (flight risk). Cop doesn't have anything to do with how much bail or if held with no bail.
- The cops weren't told to "go arrest a guy", they responded to a call for service, followed up and upon discovering what they did made the arrest. To you I'm sure it is all the same but in reality there were numerous things in play here. No doubt there was some domestic disturbance that brought them there in the first place. Whether violent or fabricated we don't know and will never know.
- IIRC some years ago they (DAs and judiciary) decided that any crime (except gang members) involving guns is so evil that they will hold a person without bail (in almost all cases), send them for a psych exam (must be crazy to have guns) and only after all that will they hold the "dangerousness" hearing to decide if he'll ever be released prior to conviction.
- Failure to take action with a 209A would result in criminal charges against the cops, they can't just walk away from it. You obviously could never be one and it isn't for everyone. There are many aspects of police work that I can't agree with and am glad that I'm out of that game.

If he gets charged, maybe the case will go to higher courts... It would suck for him, but might be an opportunity to set some positive precedent if the guy has a good lawyer.

The only precedent possible here is for a stronger assault weapon case law. I don't see any way out of this mess for him. A plea bargain and PP status is all that he might get away with, otherwise he could be sent away for 20-40 yrs if the DA gets a hair across his ass and wants this guy's hide.

There's an easy way the cops could have been "2/3rds nice". Go to the house, serve the 209A, take the guns, throw them in evidence; but it ends there; no charges. Then the guy if he cleaned his shit up, gets a license, could get his guns back, etc. I'm going to make a WAG though that the political tenor at that PD did not allow for that to happen, though.

-Mike

Problem is that they can't do this due to the courts. The courts and their lawyers allow these woman to make these false accusations (really lies) without so much as taking an oath to its validity. Once again in this F'ed up state you are guilty unless proven otherwise but don't forget the court looks the other way when proven it was "otherwise".

IMO the officer was forced to do his job per an order. He does not get to make a personal choice of she's lied or he did make a threat. He has to do his job or lose it because God forbid they guy does go postal and shoots her. He can't be the nice guy even if he wants to. For most cops It sucks to be in their shoes.

Brief story:
My buddy moved in with us the day my father died due to a pending divorce. (That's what you do for your best man in the wedding party) She was going crazy when he told her he was leaving. She filed a false 209A. The local PD gets the paperwork and another buddy who was the Lt. at the time pulled the papers from the Sargent's hand and said I'll serve this on myself. He called me up and told me it was coming but we already knew. They met in my kitchen, shook hands, chatted and discussed the matter like men then he drove away knowing that it was her who was lying. Not a single thing he could do about it. At that time he was not a gun owner and the Lt. knew me well enough not to worry about access to mine.

Not happening, I bet half the stuff gets dropped and he sucks for a plea on one or two felonies.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom