• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ma. open carry law ?

I can't remember if I heard or read somewhere that it is perfectly ok to open carry but frowned upon by your local police and could endanger you ltc if it was called in to the station. And no I'm not about to do this and wish nobody else would I was just looking to see if what I heard or read was true Thanks ps to me it's a stupid thing to try or do....so don't! I would just like to know the law is all.

Yes, open carry is legal in MA. And yes, you'll possibly be arrested for brandishing the second someone sees you and craps their pants, getting you a lifetime ban at worst, and an unsuitability finding at best.

Last edited:
Laws in general do not "permit" things, they prohibit them.

There is no language in the MGLs prohibiting open carry.

Most posters here are of the opinion that OC will tend to attract OMG!!!!! HE'S GOT A GUN! attention, which will urticate the local police.

Local police, being unhappy, may say that you acted irresponsibly, and use is as a suitability issue.

Take from that what you will.

ETA: There is no "brandishing" statute per se in Mass., but there are other ways to jam up a person, if that's what's wished for. There's a reason that there were signs stating that "THIS IS THE SAFEST PLACE IN BOSTON" at the state house, but no firearms were out in the open ( assuming that anyone brought one....?)

Last edited:
If I am printing through my shirt or someone sees the bottom of my holster and they yell "He's got a gun!!!!", the LEO that investigates can give me a pass or take my rights away based on his mood? Or is it how the LEO interprets the law? The person shouting ot alarming everyone should be the one arrested for causing panic, like shouting fire when there isn't one is against the law. Being fairly new to CCW I do find it surprising what people don't see, or at least think that people really aren't looking for people who are carrying.

Last edited:
If I am printing through my shirt or someone sees the bottom of my holster and they yell "He's got a gun!!!!", the LEO that investigates can give me a pass or take my rights away based on his mood? Or is it how the LEO interprets the law? The person shouting ot alarming everyone should be the one arrested for causing panic, like shouting fire when there isn't one is against the law.

I would tend to agree with that, but doubt it would ever happen in this commie state.

Well, the LEO "Investigating" may not be able to do it, but it's possible (and it has happened, to a lawyer, IIRC) that you could have suitability issues.

It's a "See something, say something" situation, and the cops will be happy to extoll the virtue of the panicker....err.....observant citizen.

If I am printing through my shirt or someone sees the bottom of my holster and they yell "He's got a gun!!!!", the LEO that investigates can give me a pass or take my rights away based on his mood? Or is it how the LEO interprets the law? The person shouting ot alarming everyone should be the one arrested for causing panic, like shouting fire when there isn't one is against the law.

You need to reread the posts above.

There is nothing illegal about open carry. There is nothing illegal about printing. There is nothing here about how a LEO interprets a law.

The fact is that MA law gives a police chief near total discretion in the issuance or revocation of a license to carry. If you are open carrying or printing and are discovered, your police chief can revoke your LTC (or he can do nothing). You don't need to have committed any crime or been arrested for him to do so.

Some years back, Joe Landers was coming out of a pizza shop with a pizza in his hands. The wind blew his coat open. A police officer saw his holstered gun. The officer checked that Landers had a valid LTC and let him go. But the chief of police of Dedham revoked his LTC as a result of this incident. Landers eventually got his LTC back, but it took more than 6 years and many thousands of dollars.

That is what you are up against in this state and why you really do want to keep your gun concealed.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/massachusetts-laws/299-dedham-misuse-authority.html

ETA: There is no "brandishing" statute per se in Mass., but there are other ways to jam up a person, if that's what's wished for. There's a reason that there were signs stating that "THIS IS THE SAFEST PLACE IN BOSTON" at the state house, but no firearms were out in the open ( assuming that anyone brought one....?)

I bet there were easily 800 guns there, but I didn't actually see any.

You need to reread the posts above.

There is nothing illegal about open carry. There is nothing illegal about printing. There is nothing here about how a LEO interprets a law.

The fact is that MA law gives a police chief near total discretion in the issuance or revocation of a license to carry. If you are open carrying or printing and are discovered, your police chief can revoke your LTC (or he can do nothing). You don't need to have committed any crime or been arrested for him to do so.

Some years back, Joe Landers was coming out of a pizza shop with a pizza in his hands. The wind blew his coat open. A police officer saw his holstered gun. The officer checked that Landers had a valid LTC and let him go. But the chief of police of Dedham revoked his LTC as a result of this incident. Landers eventually got his LTC back, but it took more than 6 years and many thousands of dollars.

That is what you are up against in this state and why you really do want to keep your gun concealed.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/massachusetts-laws/299-dedham-misuse-authority.html

Thanks for the clarification.

It would be nice if you could open carry. I would bet crime would go down. Might be a lot of pistol envy though[shocked]

I don't think it would have any significant impact on crime. Open carry is common in Alaska and somewhat common in Arizona. Yet both have significantly higher crime rates than MA.

No, I'm not saying that open carry increases crime. What I'm saying is that I don't think there is a causal relationship between people open carrying and the crime rate.

Concealed Cary has a much higher impact to reduce crime as the bad guy doesn't know which prey has sharp teeth. Provided they are in an area where it is common, unlike Chicago, LA, DC, etc.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I have lived in open carry states (AK and AZ before CCW was permitted, then everyone wanted to CCW) and I don't get the mystique. It makes sense hiking or camping, but why would you want to walk down the street and advertise? I'd rather you not know I carry, none of your business really.

MA does not have a cultural tradition of open carry and I see open carry here more of an attention getting stunt than anything else. We have a populace that is ignorant enough of firearms, and open carry serves no useful purpose for the cause at this point IMO and only brings negative media and LEO attention. If you want to give up your LTC and a possible arrest for breach of the peace, go for it. If the time comes I will face going to jail for my beliefs, but not for totin' my shootin' iron in full view down Main Street.

I have lived in open carry states (AK and AZ before CCW was permitted, then everyone wanted to CCW) and I don't get the mystique. It makes sense hiking or camping, but why would you want to walk down the street and advertise? I'd rather you not know I carry, none of your business really.

MA does not have a cultural tradition of open carry and I see open carry here more of an attention getting stunt than anything else. We have a populace that is ignorant enough of firearms, and open carry serves no useful purpose for the cause at this point IMO and only brings negative media and LEO attention. If you want to give up your LTC and a possible arrest for breach of the peace, go for it. If the time comes I will face going to jail for my beliefs, but not for totin' my shootin' iron in full view down Main Street.

I'm against open carry. It just makes you a target.

These are good points and make sense to me.

I can't remember if I heard or read somewhere that it is perfectly ok to open carry but frowned upon by your local police and could endanger you ltc if it was called in to the station. And no I'm not about to do this and wish nobody else would I was just looking to see if what I heard or read was true Thanks ps to me it's a stupid thing to try or do....so don't! I would just like to know the law is all.

sorry for asking, but why would you want to carry it opened ? Just for the sake everybody sees you're cool guy ? Sorry again but i don't get it.

One guy in the past, what, 20 years, has gotten in trouble for carrying open. Is it advisable? I guess it depends how you carry yourself and who you know.

In the old days, you HAD TO show a part of the gun, or you'd get in trouble for concealing it. I think concealed carry permits were fewer back then. Not 100% on this, as I was just a kid then, but I do remember it.

sorry for asking, but why would you want to carry it opened ? Just for the sake everybody sees you're cool guy ? Sorry again but i don't get it.

Did you fully read what I wrote? It says I'm not about to do this! I'm just curious if what I heard was true. I would never. And yes I'm a cool guy without a gun haha

I seldom open carry, but when I do, my destination would be a place where I want an open holstered weapon when I step out of the truck.

Over 40 years, I've been asked twice to conceal it. Both times were in a gas station where I was topping off for a long trip north. Once in Danvers and once in Peabody, and both cops pulled up and just asked me to conceal it, never even asking for an LTC. I have no idea if they were called but they were definitely close by, could even have been in the parking lot, because I was still pumping gas. Both times were cordial and I just said, "I'm filling up and I'm heading north." then they pulled away.

Bad guys don't open carry.

I seldom open carry, but when I do, my destination would be a place where I want an open holstered weapon when I step out of the truck.

Over 40 years, I've been asked twice to conceal it. Both times were in a gas station where I was topping off for a long trip north. Once in Danvers and once in Peabody, and both cops pulled up and just asked me to conceal it, never even asking for an LTC. I have no idea if they were called but they were definitely close by, could even have been in the parking lot, because I was still pumping gas. Both times were cordial and I just said, "I'm filling up and I'm heading north." then they pulled away.

Bad guys don't open carry.

1. What years did these events occur?

2. The recent history of Mass Gun ownership clearly demonstrates that good guys are frequently turned into bad guys by cops and the criminal justice system with regard to enforcement and interpretation of our gun laws here.

Kinda off topic but are u alowed to open carry in your own home? If so if u answer the door must it now be conceled?

Kinda off topic but are u alowed to open carry in your own home? If so if u answer the door must it now be conceled?

Open carry anywhere you can legally carry a gun. So open your door with it all you want.

Problem is any moon bat who sees t might feel threatened and file assault charges.

One guy in the past, what, 20 years, has gotten in trouble for carrying open. Is it advisable? I guess it depends how you carry yourself and who you know.

That's sample bias. Very few people get in trouble for open carry because very few people do it, not because it's socially acceptable (and won't get you in a steaming heap of trouble when someone panics and calls 911 with "a man with a gun!!!!"

I used to live two houses down from an author named Jim Ballou in Lynn. He open carried a 1911 every day that I ever saw him and as far as I know nobody ever made an issue of it. He was actually the first person to encourage me to get my LTC.

I think Jim still owns a shop in Salisbury - maybe he's an NESer?

I used to live two houses down from an author named Jim Ballou in Lynn. He open carried a 1911 every day that I ever saw him and as far as I know nobody ever made an issue of it. He was actually the first person to encourage me to get my LTC.

I think Jim still owns a shop in Salisbury - maybe he's an NESer?

He gave me and my wife our basic handgun class a few years back.. Real nice guy! He Had some great stories.

ONLY if you get written permission from every other occupant in the house!

j/k

No law against it.

If someone sees it and calls the police, the results can be "unsuitability", but that is up to each and every chief in MA!

Back
Top Bottom