• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ma. open carry law ?

Open carry anywhere you can legally carry a gun. So open your door with it all you want.

Problem is any moon bat who sees t might feel threatened and file assault charges.

What moonbat would be knocking on your door? And unless you unholstered it and pointed it at him/her/it, what basis would there be to charge anyone, with anything? You should be able to answer your door naked, with only a Glock covering your junk, and it's no crime.

I don't think it would have any significant impact on crime. Open carry is common in Alaska and somewhat common in Arizona. Yet both have significantly higher crime rates than MA.

No, I'm not saying that open carry increases crime. What I'm saying is that I don't think there is a causal relationship between people open carrying and the crime rate.

Problem with Alaska is something like 90% of crimes in Alaska are results of drug/alcohol. Just remembering #'s from Alaska State troopers on nat geo :)

What moonbat would be knocking on your door? And unless you unholstered it and pointed it at him/her/it, what basis would there be to charge anyone, with anything? You should be able to answer your door naked, with only a Glock covering your junk, and it's no crime.

Glock? Nope, better get me a long gun.

I'm not disagreeing with you on how it SHOULD BE. But the rules governing what threatening nature equates to assault are open to interpretation. So a moony who hyperventilates over the thought of skeet shooting would probably take seeing a firearm as a threat to their lives.

I'm not disagreeing with you on how it SHOULD BE. But the rules governing what threatening nature equates to assault are open to interpretation. So a moony who hyperventilates over the thought of skeet shooting would probably take seeing a firearm as a threat to their lives.

Emphasis on the part that is strictly INTERNET CONJECTURE.

This is what people need to stop guessing about.
"What you tolerate, you validate. What you put up with, you deserve!"

~ Scrivener

sorry for asking, but why would you want to carry it opened ? Just for the sake everybody sees you're cool guy ? Sorry again but i don't get it.

Because it is a thousand times easier for me to carry OC or half-assed concealed than to truly conceal the gun. Because when I OC, I can accomodate a bigger gun and/or put less strain on my back. Because OC doesn't require me to buy a new wardrobe.

I really do not care whether people think it is cool. If I want attention, wearing a push up bra will have a higher rate of success.

As for making me a target? Maybe. Maybe it is a deterrent. How about we all support gun rights of all stripes instead of ranting about how OC is risky, or overblown machismo, and no one really needs it cause only foolish people would do it. Sounds a hell of a lot like Fuddery to me.

Carry the way you like, and back everyone else's right to carry in any manner that doesn't put those around them at risk of being on the receiving end of a ND.

Again, it's not about the law, it's about the perception.

Were OC to be "Legalized" - or there to be a statement from Bacon Hill that, "It's not illegal [STRIKE=undefined]to be illegal [/STRIKE]to openly carry a firearm, if duly licensed", there would still be "Man with a gun" calls, either from people actually frightened, or from "activists" trying to make a point.

We, in the PRM, are a looooong way from acceptance of firearms ownership, much less carry. [sad]

- - - Updated - - -

Again, it's not about the law, it's about the perception.

Were OC to be "Legalized" - or there to be a statement from Bacon Hill that, "It's not illegal [STRIKE=undefined]to be illegal [/STRIKE]to openly carry a firearm, if duly licensed", there would still be "Man with a gun" calls, either from people actually frightened, or from "activists" trying to make a point.

We, in the PRM, are a looooong way from acceptance of firearms ownership, much less carry. [sad]

I do wish OC was specifically permitted. I still wouldn't OC, but it would be nice not to have to worry about printing.

It doesn't NEED to be permitted. It is ALREADY LEGAL. What, you want a permit for something you already do? Yeah, I think I want a breathing permit, too, just so nobody hassles me for it.

Problem with Alaska is something like 90% of crimes in Alaska are results of drug/alcohol. Just remembering #'s from Alaska State troopers on nat geo :)

Here in MA about 80% of inmates have a drug and/or alcohol problem. The scale of the problem here may be different, but the core of the issue has many similarities.

Because it is a thousand times easier for me to carry OC or half-assed concealed than to truly conceal the gun. Because when I OC, I can accomodate a bigger gun and/or put less strain on my back. Because OC doesn't require me to buy a new wardrobe.

I really do not care whether people think it is cool. If I want attention, wearing a push up bra will have a higher rate of success.

As for making me a target? Maybe. Maybe it is a deterrent. How about we all support gun rights of all stripes instead of ranting about how OC is risky, or overblown machismo, and no one really needs it cause only foolish people would do it. Sounds a hell of a lot like Fuddery to me.

Carry the way you like, and back everyone else's right to carry in any manner that doesn't put those around them at risk of being on the receiving end of a ND.

This. I carry OWB for comfort because of a big gut. It would be nice not to worry about printing or bending down and someone sees the bottom of my holster and freak out. I do thing that being in a crowded store or sidewalk people really aren't paying attention anyways. Everyones in their own little worlds going about their buisiness.

You can't OC in MA for the same reason blacks couldn't sit in the front of the bus.

If you all just started doing it and telling the cops to go pound sand the situation would work itself out.

It doesn't NEED to be permitted. It is ALREADY LEGAL. What, you want a permit for something you already do? Yeah, I think I want a breathing permit, too, just so nobody hassles me for it.

I think when a lot of people say things like "specifically permitted", what they mean is that some sort of official declaration is made on the matter, most likely to law enforcement. Like in Arizona. OC is not restricted, and therefore permitted by default. AZ has at times gone a step further and said "Hey, cops, open carry is legal. Stop effing with people just because you see a gun" (paraphrasing, of course [wink]). Living in a place where OC is well known to be completely legal and police are aware of such really does make life easier with regards to carry. I don't carry openly, but I've also stopped caring about how well concealed my firearm is. For example, you know how you always "check" and adjust your shirt a little after you reach for something on the top shelf at a grocery store, or when you bend over to get something off the bottom shelf? Yeah, I don't do that anymore, because it doesn't matter. Holster selection is much easier too. No more "drawer full of holsters" BS to deal with in that never ending pursuit of a more concealable/comfortable holster. I just use a simple pancake OWB holster and call it a day.

My experience has been that most who want to open carry are the type that have a certain attitude that accompanies a need to brag that they have a gun.

My experience has been that most who want to open carry are the type that have a certain attitude that accompanies a need to brag that they have a gun.

I want to open carry because it's a hell of a lot more comfortable than CC.

with OC i dont have to worry about printing, wearing extra clothes, wearing ugly clothes, etc.

Have you met many people that actually do open carry? I don't doubt your experience and can understand this perception. However I've found that people that want to show off that they have a gun, and actually do openly carry for that reason, don't do so for very long because the novelty quickly wears off once they realize that no one cares. My experience has been that most who actually do regularly open carry are just people that prefer a tucked in shirt, mostly 40+ year old men that like western style attire with a flannel or denim shirt tucked into jeans. You can't pull that look off with a cover shirt.

I wonder how an open-carry rally would work out in Mass. Any friendlier towns? Surely, there must be ONE.

The issue is not just the friendliness of the town it is held in. The issue is the attitude of the licensing officers in the towns where the participants reside.

Or, to put it another way, what part of "discretionary licensing" don't you understand?

Ok the reason I started this whole thread was back in the 70's my dad bought my brother and I a .22 9 shot handgun. Only thing I remember him saying was (and he was a LEO) make sure you don't cover it up because it is not legal to CC. Then I got out of guns until 2010 I let my pistol permit run out when the Ma. gun laws changed. Now I get my permit back when they changed the law back to you didn't have to take the pistol course again if you already had one. And things have changed to your best bet is to keep it covered though it's not illegal to OC. I repeat I have absolutely NO interest in open carry it was just something I heard or read and was wondering about. Thanks for all the replies it did answer my question.

Ok the reason I started this whole thread was back in the 70's my dad bought my brother and I a .22 9 shot handgun. Only thing I remember him saying was (and he was a LEO) make sure you don't cover it up because it is not legal to CC. Then I got out of guns until 2010 I let my pistol permit run out when the Ma. gun laws changed. Now I get my permit back when they changed the law back to you didn't have to take the pistol course again if you already had one. And things have changed to your best bet is to keep it covered though it's not illegal to OC. I repeat I have absolutely NO interest in open carry it was just something I heard or read and was wondering about. Thanks for all the replies it did answer my question.

That is exactly what I remember also, and what I said in post #19. My father was not a LEO, but was certainly very law abiding back then. He ALWAYS made it a point to hitch up his jacket up and over the butt of his pistol, and tuck it in when we went to the range, and pointed it out to my brothers and I.

The issue is not just the friendliness of the town it is held in. The issue is the attitude of the licensing officers in the towns where the participants reside.

Or, to put it another way, what part of "discretionary licensing" don't you understand?

Not really. If u do it in a town where the chief is ok and refuses to contact your chief. How can there be an issue as long as your not dumb enough to put yourself on a$$book or you yube

I dont generally oc but i do carry owb in winter and i like it way better than iwb. I really dont worry about printing at all. Most of the time under a heavy sweatshirt you cant see crap

Last edited:
I wonder how an open-carry rally would work out in Mass. Any friendlier towns? Surely, there must be ONE.

Clinton, Oakham or Rutland all have COPs that are 2a friendly. What their stance on a rally would be im not sure.

Last edited:
My boss and I were in the dunkins coffee line first thing in the morning (4:30am) he reached for his wallet to get us some snacks and coffees. someone in the line must of saw him carrying IWB and called on him. We hung by the trucks talking about the day to come like we do everyday and then all of a sudden 3 cruiser come ripping into the lot. Were looking around for wtf is going on. then the leo starts at us and starts laughing. The police officer is my bosses brother. long story short we had hot dogs and hamburgers at the leos house later that day. people freak out over nothing.

question

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, open carry is legal in MA. And yes, you'll possibly be arrested for brandishing the second someone sees you and craps their pants, getting you a lifetime ban at worst, and an unsuitability finding at best.

how can you be banned for life if its legal?

Back
Top Bottom