• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Handgun Compliance Q+A Thread (new)

Thanks thats what I thought from all the reading of mass laws and all the reading I did here. But when I was asking for ammo at the gun store this afternoon (which I will leave unnammed ) the owner asked what I was shooting it thur so I told him and he went in to a rant on how it is illegal in Mass and If I was caught with it it would be big trouble. I love how some of these guys think they know everything.

what kind of gun was it

I understand the whole deal allowing purchase from someone who moved into the state ALREADY OWNING a non-compliant gun.

I understand that both parties have to be licensed firearms owners, and the obvious caveat regarding straw purchases.

My question is, whether or not the selling party (legitmately selling one of his own guns he has moved into the state with) has to be actually licensed by MA or can he be allowed to sell on his military ID while still on active duty?

MUST have a MA LTC in order to sell.

Possession of ANY guns w/o a MA LTC/FID (as appropriate for gun) in MA is a Felony!!

The military exemption is ONLY if you have military orders for that PARTICULAR GUN (as a duty gun)!! And we know that that isn't gonna happen in today's military (any exception would be extremely rare).

Possession of ANY guns w/o a MA LTC/FID (as appropriate for gun) in MA is a Felony!!

The military exemption is ONLY if you have military orders for that PARTICULAR GUN (as a duty gun)!! And we know that that isn't gonna happen in today's military (any exception would be extremely rare).

What about that hypothetical "permit to purchase"? I know that's getting far afield, but if someone held a pistol on one of those, how the in the blue blazes do they sell it, FFL transfer only?

There were extremely few PTP issued (except to aliens with FIDs). Regardless you needed an FID to go with the PTP.

Bottom line is that you still needed to be licensed. Once your FID/LTC expires, you can only sell via FFL transfer as you are no longer in legal possession of any firearms (exception: grace period for renewals).

Thanks.

Not the answer I was hoping for, but it's good to know.

Could someone add the specifics on what seperates these handguns from the "evil" ones, like the sig 556 pistol? DrGrant touched on it in another of my threads, but Id like to see all the rules that go into it.

I know one part of it is because its a pistol over 50 ounces, but what else goes into the determination? Im guessing there is some sort of size/length determination as well.

JD answers this here pretty well, in post #3...

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=71187

For instance, one could have the UZI but not the UZI pistol..... kinda confusing. In guesing because its to small and heavy?

UZI carbines are regulated by the same set of AWB rules that regulate AR-15s, AKs, etc. UZI pistols are regulated by the rules shown in the
thread mentioned above.

Anyways, let's not go too far off course, as this question has nothing to do with handgun compliance. (at least not as it's commonly referred to in MA).

-Mike

Are the FN 5.7 handguns legal in MA? Can someone from out of state move in with these like the glocks?

Yes they are, provided you have 10 round cripplemags for them.

Be aware however that people charge stupid amounts of money for that woodchuck assassination pistol in this state, though. Nobody lets them go
cheap. [laugh]

-Mike

Could it be said that the Comm of Mass is being discriminatory in its law making because these laws only affect 240,000 people out of 6,000,000? If these 240,000 folks were of non white skin color then that would be a big stink but since were gun owners we're open targets for what ever the AG wants to throw at us? Sounds like the AG is unfairly targeting a small minority of Ma citizens and taking there rights away?

(not a real law) M.G.L.- 000.00.0, As of 7-31-2009 all citizens of Springfield Massachusetts must attend The Holy Church of the Commonwealth. [frown]

What is the difference between my hypothetical law and the current Ma gun laws? You can still go to church, but only the "safe" church selected by the state. Seems like no difference in this law and the gun laws?

What you don't like that church? Why not, we took a cross section of all U.S. churches and selected the safest aspects from each one. Now you don't have to decide. We did all the work for you. Your welcome[devil2]

Carry question

Could someone explain the carry policy in mass. How conceiled is the gun supposed to be what are we supposed to do about carrying if the gun is a larger gun. I have a LTC-A and just want to know what is the best way to go about carrying without any trouble

Could someone explain the carry policy in mass. How conceiled is the gun supposed to be what are we supposed to do about carrying if the gun is a larger gun. I have a LTC-A and just want to know what is the best way to go about carrying without any trouble

This really is off topic, but to answer your question... there is no concealment standard in the law in MA. MA law doesn't even discuss concealment. (It's actually legal to open carry in MA, but for other reasons which I won't get into here, it's generally unwise to do so).

If the goal is to stay out of trouble, conceal whatever handgun you're carrying in such a way that a typical layperson would be unable to detect it.

You might want to start a new thread on this, say something like "concealment methods / levels of concealment" in one of our other
subforums...

-Mike

Could it be said that the Comm of Mass is being discriminatory in its law making because these laws only affect 240,000 people out of 6,000,000? If these 240,000 folks were of non white skin color then that would be a big stink but since were gun owners we're open targets for what ever the AG wants to throw at us? Sounds like the AG is unfairly targeting a small minority of Ma citizens and taking there rights away?

The state dodges this "question" by making these laws only binding against the dealers. Even if these restrictions functionally effect joe citizen, they can still "technically" say that they don't- which is part of the reason this crap got passed to begin with.

The only reason MA handgun compliance regs have any "teeth" at all is because federal law blocks residents of one state from directly (without a state of residence transfer) buying a handgun in another state. Otherwise you'd just be able to drive to some other state (with more reasonable gun laws) buy what you want there, in person, bring it back, and there's nothing MA could do about it, unless they rewrote the state law to make it even more restrictive- eg, binding directly against gun owners and not just dealers.

-Mike

HK P2000 .40 S&W = Legal?

I moved to MA from Maryland last year to receive treatment for Leukemia at Dana Farber. Now that I'm finally healthy I'd like to start shooting again. I'm uncertain whether my firearm is even legal in MA or if I'm allowed to bring it here myself. Hopefully you folks can help me out.

The firearm in question is an HK P2000 .40 S&W (12 round Mag). It is currently still in Maryland. I am no longer an MD resident, and I've been a MA resident for more than 60 days.

First and foremost, is this gun even legal in MA? I know the 12-round mag is a no-no, but I can use the 10 round mag from the P2000 compact. But looking at the EOPS roster, only the P2000 .357 is approved, not the .40 S&W. Will I be allowed to register this gun in MA?

If in fact this gun is able to be registered in MA, how would I go about doing it? Would I be able to bring the gun here myself and fill out an FA-10, or do I need to go through an FFL to bring the gun up here? Lastly, I live in Westfield. Does anyone have any experience with the local PD here? What are my chances of getting an unrestricted LTC-A (or even a restricted A for that matter)?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help. Cheers!
emoticon_beer.png

The firearm in question is an HK P2000 .40 S&W (12 round Mag). It is currently still in Maryland. I am no longer an MD resident, and I've been a MA resident for more than 60 days.

First and foremost, is this gun even legal in MA? I know the 12-round mag is a no-no, but I can use the 10 round mag from the P2000 compact. But looking at the EOPS roster, only the P2000 .357 is approved, not the .40 S&W. Will I be allowed to register this gun in MA?

All normal handguns are "legal" in MA.

Once you get your LTC-A you can bring this gun in and register this gun on an FA-10. No dealer interaction is required- because
you already own the gun. Just pick up an FA-10 from your local PD, fill it out using "registration" checkbox, and mail it into the
CHSB address on the form. You will need to use 10 round cripplemags for it. It takes the exact same mags as the USPc .40 does. The 12 rounders are definitely illegal here, unless there are some USPc .40 prebans floating around, but since the gun came out after the ban, I'm somewhat doubtful of that possibility.

-Mike

Mike - thanks for the clear, concise answer. Looks like this will be pretty straightforward after all. I won't hold my breath on an unrestricted A license though.

You'll need an A because of the 12 round mag tho. Make sure to ask for it. [wink]

Yeah, the irony of the whole thing is, even though you can't legally own the 12 round mags in MA, this gun would still be considered large capacity by many, and still require an LTC-A. Even a restricted LTC-A is better than any B is, anyways, for a variety of reasons.

-Mike

I guess we'll just have to respectfully agree to disagree on that point then- I know of several dealers that basically use that as a ruleset. This is why you see lots of dealers with pre-98 Kahr's, Glocks, etc, for sale in MA, and there are many who will transfer these guns with no problem as long as they meet the criteria. If a dealer chooses not to, that's their business of course, and they're free to do that, however, I think many here would prefer that the dealer just simply state that they prefer not to do those transfers, as opposed to trying to reference laws or regulations that don't actually exist.

One of these days I'll put another post in this thread outlining the relationship between MGL/CMR and the
handgun compliance stuff as outlined above. The readers will need a strong cup of coffee, though, as it is likely
to be boring as hell. [laugh]

-Mike

Would not Paul's interpretation here also put several of the dealers who sell PD turn in glocks and Sig's from other states that are not "ma compliant", at risk of non-compliance by doing so? I know of several dealers right now selling used PD turn-ins from god knows where that could not possibly have been registered in MA prior to 98.

Last edited:
New EOPS roster up. Link.

Thanks- I updated one of the original posts with the new URL.

I noticed they added the Ruger LCR... but didn't see anything else
significant... course, I probably missed a few others.

-Mike

Thanks- I updated one of the original posts with the new URL.

I noticed they added the Ruger LCR... but didn't see anything else
significant... course, I probably missed a few others.

-Mike

I saved a copy of the April one to my HDD. Going to try to diff them.

Glock26 and Smith and wesson airweight 38

I live in CT but have a mass non res carry lic. I see that both of these are on the Mass compliant list. 2 questions 1) is there a limit on the magazine size if I carry gun into Ma from CT, its an older Glock 26 ? 2) are there any restrictions on the airweight 38 if I carry into Ma also? thanks

Joe

1. The Mass AWB is the only limitation. Any magazines that hold more than 10 rounds must be pre-ban (i.e., made before 9/14/94).
  2. There aren't any restrictions on the Airweight.

Ken

Sorry if this was covered and I just missed it reading the last 12 pages...but from what I read it is legal and their is no legal ramifications of one LTC holder selling a new "non-regulatory" gun, lets say a new glock 17, to another LTC holder...the only problem is finding an LTC holder that got ahold of one some how...

So, since dealers are allowed to sell to LEO's, if you were buddies with an LEO, could he purchase a new glock 17, then decide he hates it after a few rounds through it, then sell it to you?

The scenario you describe would work for the AG's "Consumer Protection" regulations. However, the requirement that the gun be on the EOPS approved firearms roster or meet one of the exemptions in the statute would still apply. For Example, it would work for a Glock 17 but not a Browning Hi-Power or a Kimber, since the Glock is on the roster but the other three aren't.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom