MA Handgun Compliance Q+A Thread (new)

Thanks for the reply KM.

I plan on getting another Glock, probably another 30..so I guess I'm in the clear there...I have a MA LEO bud that I've known for quite awhile who said he wouldn't have a problem doing it, I just wanted to check to make sure there was no "loophole law" to prevent civilians from getting around the regulations that would get him or myself in trouble.

Does anyone know how many Guns I can buy in Ma in a given year ,I was told by Fitchburg Officer that handed me my class a permit that I could only purchase three per year
The gun Dealers say I can buy all I want.
What gives
thanks tennesseeErnie

i may be incorrect but i think i was told that if you buy more that 3 "firearms"
in a given timeframe (say 1 week) from the same FFL he must report it to BATF not that you've done anything wrong or anything like that but for some reason it is a point of issue. . . this is coming from a dealing i had in 1992 so its an 18 year old memory

If I remember correctly, if you purchase 2 firearms at the same time, the dealer has to report it. Other than that, there is no restriction on how many you can buy, but there is a restriction on how many you can sell. Maximum of 4 in a calender year.

It's 2 handguns bought in a week from the same dealer that trips the "multiple" gun report that gets sent to BATFE and IIRC to your local chief as well.

All of this is merely an FYI to law enforcement in case somebody is engaging in illegal straw purchases or sales. You're allowed to buy as many guns as you can afford (and you can get past your wife).

Ken

This may sound like a dumb question, but is that roster only new guns?
I am trying to buy a S&W 4156 from CT and have it sent to my FFL, but I can't find any info on it.

This may sound like a dumb question, but is that roster only new guns?
I am trying to buy a S&W 4156 from CT and have it sent to my FFL, but I can't find any info on it.

The EOPS roster also applies to older stuff, as well. EG, if that 4156 is on the roster, and it was made pre 10/21/98, it should be FFL transferable by any dealer in MA (that has their brain enabled). This same legal mechanism is what allows all the 2nd and early 3rd gen glocks to be transferred as well. If it was post 98, there's also a good chance it's AG compliant as well... course this depends on the dealer. Since most of the S+W 3rd gen autos have a heavy DA pull and most also have a mag safety, it's not difficult to argue that it passes the AG's BS regs as well. (course there's nothing stopping you from removing the magazine safety lunacy after you get the gun, either. ) [grin]

-Mike

Last edited:
So, I have a question. I have a friend who is an LEO, and owns a EOPS approved pistol (a Kahr), but it is not appoved by the AG. Is it legal for him to sell it to me, via FA-10?

So, I have a question. I have a friend who is an [sic] LEO, and owns a EOPS approved pistol (a Kahr), but it is not appoved by the AG. Is it legal for him to sell it to me, via FA-10?

Yes.

As has been explained here many, MANY times.

HINT: Try actually reading this thread - before posting in it. Your question is answered. It's the part about the regs only affecting DEALER sales to MA residents; NOT private transfers.

Last edited:
I recently bought a Browning Buck Mark Camper online and made a transfer via a FFL transfer agent. This gun is in the MA roster but, apparently, it's not compliant according to AG rules. Most of the dealers I asked to make the transfer refused to do so arguing that the gun is illegal to sell according to AG. Eventually I found a dealer that didn't care much about stupid AG rules and made the transfer based on the roster. So, if you want something that is in the roster but not approved by AG you just need to find a right FFL agent.[shocked]

I recently bought a Browning Buck Mark Camper online and made a transfer via a FFL transfer agent. This gun is in the MA roster but, apparently, it's not compliant according to AG rules. Most of the dealers I asked to make the transfer refused to do so arguing that the gun is illegal to sell according to AG. Eventually I found a dealer that didn't care much about stupid AG rules and made the transfer based on the roster. So, if you want something that is in the roster but not approved by AG you just need to find a right FFL agent.[shocked]

Stuff like that you keep to yourself ..

I would if I wasn't sure the gun is AG compliant. Besides, even if it wasn't but the "Handgun-purveyor ... transfers less than five handguns per year", the AG rules don't apply[wink]. (see AG rules definition of handgun-purveyor)
Just FYI, Buck Mark Camper has "Magazine safety disconnect". It doesn't have loaded chamber indicator but AG requires either load indicator or magazine safety disconnect. (par. 16.05(3)). So, honestly, I don't know why some dealers deem this gun non-compliant.

If you are going to post anything here, or in PM, you should make pretend you are CC'ng it to the BATF and AG's office, as well as local, state, and federal law enforcement. It prevents you from forgetting that the internet is public and permanent.

Great Q and A, but confused about one thing. Have a MA LTC without restrictions and bought a Sig P229 SCT from a Mass FFL dealer. One feature of the SCT model is it comes with 4 mags, three of which are "newly designed" have an 18 round capacity. Are you saying these mags cannot "legally" be used with the gun in MA? If so, how can the model be sold here in MA by a licensed dealer?

IF the mags are "post-ban," they are unlawful to possess in this state, unless you are LEO or military. That you bought them from an FFL is irrelevant.

As has been explained in this thread many times, at length.

Last edited:
Great Q and A, but confused about one thing. Have a MA LTC without restrictions and bought a Sig P229 SCT from a Mass FFL dealer. One feature of the SCT model is it comes with 4 mags, three of which are "newly designed" have an 18 round capacity. Are you saying these mags cannot "legally" be used with the gun in MA? If so, how can the model be sold here in MA by a licensed dealer?

The capacity of the gun is irrelevant to "MA compliance" at least as far as this faq is concerned. It is however, an MA AWB issue. If you want to be safe, ask the dealer to give you 10 rounders in exchange or dump them yourself and get other mags. (Either preban normal mags or 10 round cripple mags).

There are lots of dealers in MA that "don't believe in" the mag ban. It is what it is. You have to be responsible for your own legal issues, not some dealer.

-Mike

Hi All,

I'm 2nd post newb who just received his LTC-A and I'm trying to decipher the Approved Firearms thing. I've read thru this, and a couple other, threads on the topic and have generally summized as follows. Please verify a (somewhat) correct understanding.

• The 'Approved' list applies to licensed dealers (firearm shops). Anything purchased from a licensed dealer 'should' be listed as approved but, it is my responsibility to verify that.
  • A Face to Face deal between properly licensed individuals needs not conform to the current Mass. 'Approved' list. (Requires FA-10)
  • Hi-Cap magazines must be 10 rounds or less unless they are pre-1994 manufacture. It is illegal for ANYONE to possess a post-1994 11+ round mag.

-I'm still reading but, was wondering if I was on track so far....

Thanks!
-and, this forum is GREAT!!!

Hi All,

I'm 2nd post newb who just received his LTC-A and I'm trying to decipher the Approved Firearms thing. I've read thru this, and a couple other, threads on the topic and have generally summized as follows. Please verify a (somewhat) correct understanding.

• The 'Approved' list applies to licensed dealers (firearm shops). Anything purchased from a licensed dealer 'should' be listed as approved but, it is [STRIKE]my [/STRIKE] THE DEALER'S responsibility to verify that.
  • A Face to Face deal between properly licensed individuals needs not conform to the current Mass. 'Approved' list. (Requires FA-10)
  • Hi-Cap magazines must be 10 rounds or less unless they are pre-1994 manufacture. It is illegal for ANYONE to possess a post-1994 11+ round mag.

-I'm still reading but, was wondering if I was on track so far....

Thanks!
-and, this forum is GREAT!!!

Welcome. You have it almost correct. See my correction in the first bullet above.

The magic date for pre/post-ban is really 9/13/1994, so anything made before that date is legal to possess and those that are large capacity made after that date are illegal to possess.

Welcome. You have it almost correct. See my correction in the first bullet above.

The magic date for pre/post-ban is really 9/13/1994, so anything made before that date is legal to possess and those that are large capacity made after that date are illegal to possess.

Mmmmmmmm; not quite.

* Hi-Cap magazines must be 10 rounds or less unless they are pre-1994 manufacture. It is illegal for ANYONE to possess a post-1994 11+ round mag.

Ten rounds or less is, by definition, NOT a "Hi-Cap magazine," unless it's for a shotgun.

And they ARE legal for LEO's and military to own.

Which probably won't help you much.

thanks for the verification/correction guys!

11 rounds + mags have to be pre-9/13/94 then....thx!

Thanks for this thread--it's a very useful intro for newbs like me, and also a good reminder on forum etiquette.

Again, I really appreciate the info.

I didn't see this covered, but admittedly I didn't read the entire thread...

Here's a scenario, an individual finds an FFL that will transfer a handgun that is NOT on the EOPS or AG's 'list', the individual purchases said handgun from an out of state FFL, the home state FFL transfers it over.

Are there any legal implications on the buyers side for initiating the purchase? Or is it simply treated as a 'dealer sale'?

I didn't see this covered, but admittedly I didn't read the entire thread...

I covered this about halfway down in the first post. [laugh]

Here's a scenario, an individual finds an FFL that will transfer a handgun that is NOT on the EOPS or AG's 'list', the individual purchases said handgun from an out of state FFL, the home state FFL transfers it over.

Are there any legal implications on the buyers side for initiating the purchase? Or is it simply treated as a 'dealer sale'?

The situation is no different than if you had bought the "non compliant" handgun from an MA dealer. It's still the dealer's problem, regardless, as they are the ones performing the transfer.

-Mike

Last edited:
I covered this about halfway down in the first post. [laugh]

The situation is no different than if you had bought the "non compliant" handgun from an MA dealer. It's still the dealer's problem, regardless, as they are the ones performing the transfer.

-Mike

Wow. Boo to me. Thanks Mike.

If you were to say buy a handgun from a Leo and it has post 1994 13 round mags can you legally posses them or should they passed along to another Leo. Just wondering. The friend that I am asking for really likes to obey the law. Thanks

If you were to say buy a handgun from a Leo and it has post 1994 13 round mags can you legally posses them or should they passed along to another Leo. Just wondering. The friend that I am asking for really likes to obey the law. Thanks

No, those are postban LCAFDs and are a felony for us peons to possess in MA. He's better off not taking them as part of the sale, or having the LEO send them to a friend in a free state.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom