• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Handgun Compliance Q+A Thread (new)

Does anyone know how many Guns I can buy in Ma in a given year ,I was told by Fitchburg Officer that handed me my class a permit that I could only purchase three per year
The gun Dealers say I can buy all I want.
What gives
thanks tennesseeErnie

You can buy all your wallet can stand. You can only sell 4 in face to face sales per calendar year.

Does anyone know how many Guns I can buy in Ma in a given year ,I was told by Fitchburg Officer that handed me my class a permit that I could only purchase three per year
The gun Dealers say I can buy all I want.
What gives
thanks tennesseeErnie

You can buy as many guns as you want, as long as your LTC is valid, whether it's from private sales or from a dealer.

The only restriction is on private sales- you can only sell 4/year on FA-10s via private sale. You can bypass this somewhat by using a dealer transfer when selling guns whenever possible, as those sales through a dealer do not count against your limit. I try to do this whenever I am selling an MA compliant handgun, or any rifle/shotgun, unless I know I'm not going to need them later in the year.

-Mike

Of subject how come I see hand guns not on approved list for sale at gun shops
(i.e) Beretta px 4 storm .It seems to meet the criteria with 10 round mag ,but not on list

Of subject how come I see hand guns not on approved list for sale at gun shops
(i.e) Beretta px 4 storm .It seems to meet the criteria with 10 round mag ,but not on list

Stores can sell to out of state customers, where such firearms are legal for the dealer to sell.

Paratrooper, once you move back to MA and obtain your MA license, you are free to possess them and transfer them privately. The only thing you cannot do is transfer them to another MA resident through an FFL.

I have a question as a buyer... Do to some areas of MA completely dragging their feet on giving people Class A LTC's after they've met all the requirements, would someone, like Paratrooper, who has just moved in to the state have to wait until they recieve their Class A LTC to sell anyone of their firearms in a private sale to a Class A LTC holder?

i am new to the gun community and i am learning the ridiculous laws mass has for us. my question is what is the loophole to getting a non-compliant gun in mass that isnt an 11 year old gun.
i understand that you can buy them from a private party but not a dealer. so what private party can purchase a non-compliant gun if i can not? or is there a simple loophole which i can use to buy a new non-compliant myself?

i am new to the gun community and i am learning the ridiculous laws mass has for us. my question is what is the loophole to getting a non-compliant gun in mass that isnt an 11 year old gun.
i understand that you can buy them from a private party but not a dealer. so what private party can purchase a non-compliant gun if i can not? or is there a simple loophole which i can use to buy a new non-compliant myself?

Hi and welcome

There isn't any loophole. They only way you can purchase a handgun not approved by the AG is by purchase directly from another licensed gun owner here in MA. They only way a gun not approved by the AG can get INTO MA is if someone living in another state brings it here when he or she moves and then sells it to you. This is just the AG consumer protection regs. Any gun brought into MA must be legal per the MA AWB - i.e. none of the 'evil' AW features.

What gun are you looking to buy?

i was looking to get a kimber eclipse custom II .45.
i heard that a cop could buy one and then sell it to me, does that work?

i was looking to get a kimber eclipse custom II .45.
i heard that a cop could buy one and then sell it to me, does that work?

Apparently you didn't read the faq above. [laugh]

At least as far as the law is concerned, a dealer is not supposed to sell a LEO
an off list gun....

However, that being said, if a LEO did have one of these and was licensed, he could sell it to you FTF no problem. Be aware however, if this hypothetical LEO purchases a gun strictly for the purpose of reselling it to you, he may be committing a straw purchase (federal law) violation, which is a serious felony.
That's a different ball of wax that's really outside of the scope of this thread.

-Mike

oh, i didnt understand what LEO (law enforcement officer im guessing?) meant until now. i did read it, i just dont get a lot of the acronyms.. sorry.

a straw purchase from what i read is to attempt to hide the identity of the end purchaser. if the FA10 form was filled out completely when i bought it from the cop wouldnt that negate the idea of it being a straw purchase?

Last edited:
oh, i didnt understand what LEO (law enforcement officer im guessing?) meant until now. i did read it, i just dont get a lot of the acronyms.. sorry.

a straw purchase from what i read is to attempt to hide the identity of the end purchaser. if the FA10 form was filled out completely when i bought it from the cop wouldnt that negate the idea of it being a straw purchase?

No. A straw purchase is the purchase of a gun with the intent to sell it to another individual who ordinarily would not be able to purchase the gun himself.

i.e. if the cop bought the gun for himself, decided he didn't like and and sold it - no straw purchase but IF he said 'hey Joe, I'll buy this Kimber and sell it to you' or if he decided to buy the Kimber with the intent of selling it at a mark-up to the public that IS a straw purchase.

The key is intent. This has been covered fairly extensivly in some other threads. Search 'straw purchase' and it should give you a lot more information.

Last edited:
No. A straw purchase is the purchase of a gun with the intent to sell it to another individual who ordinarily would not be able to purchase the gun himself.

FWIW a straw purchase is actually "worse" than this, by the letter of the law. Under some circumstances, an otherwise innocuous purchase may be considered a straw buy by the ATF. The problem is that the law is not very "clean" in this regard. As you suggest, this topic is discussed
(at length) in numerous threads here. [grin]

-Mike

It's not legal for a dealer to sell/transfer to you, but it's legal to own if you can get one in a (legal) private sale.

FWIW a straw purchase is actually "worse" than this, by the letter of the law. Under some circumstances, an otherwise innocuous purchase may be considered a straw buy by the ATF. The problem is that the law is not very "clean" in this regard. As you suggest, this topic is discussed
(at length) in numerous threads here. [grin]

-Mike

Thanks Mike, I didn't mean to simplify. It's a dangerous situation for the seller and the buyer and a great illustration why being a gun owner in MA sucks some times.

So let me get this right if I just bought a non Ma compliant gun that is not pre 98 in a ftf transfer from another Ma ltc there is no legal liablity to me ?

Thanks thats what I thought from all the reading of mass laws and all the reading I did here. But when I was asking for ammo at the gun store this afternoon (which I will leave unnammed ) the owner asked what I was shooting it thur so I told him and he went in to a rant on how it is illegal in Mass and If I was caught with it it would be big trouble. I love how some of these guys think they know everything.

So let me get this right if I just bought a non Ma compliant gun that is not pre 98 in a ftf transfer from another Ma ltc there is no legal liablity to me ?
Correct, assuming it does not have post-ban hi-cap magazines which would put you afoul of the state AWB.

Back
Top Bottom