MA Handgun Compliance Q+A Thread (new)

I was looking to buy a Ruger P90 .45ACP

Can I have it shipped to my FFL? or will I need to find a dealer that has it in stock or get one at a gun show?

PM me please

I see that the g17 g17rtf g19 g19rtf2 g26 etc. ,is on the new list does this mean i can now buy a new glock of these mods. in the state of Ma?

Not usually. It just means those guns passed the first tier of compliance. Glock still would have to declare them "AG regs OK' before MA dealers would typically sell them.... and based on the previous debacle, you can forget that happening, unless Glock makes some kind of announcement that they are going to attempt it again.

-Mike

Hi and wow, this is an impressive thread. I have learned a lot! Thanks. However, I do have a question which I believe I already know the answer to (so I am going to apologize in advance for asking), however I am not 100% sure, so let me ask you: My father owns a post war Walther P38, manufactured in Ulm around 1970. He lives in MI and I live in MA. He has offered to give me the gun and I would like to have it - is there anyway possible for this to happen? I understand that pre 1946 are type 03 FFL eligible, but I don't see post war models being on the ATF C&R list, nor do they appear on the MA "list." My father has a carry license in MI and I have a full carry license in MA. My guess is that this one falls in the category of NO, but given I am not buying it and it is a family transfer I was hoping there might be some way to manage it - I used to shoot this gun as a kid and I would like to have it if it is possible. Many thanks!

Since Fed Law requires that all handgun transfers between two people living in different states MUST go thru an FFL in the new owner's state, the EOPS List kicks in and this is a "no can do" since it has never been tested by the mfr and certified to meet MGLs.

Sorry.

Hello:
I'm a newb here, please bear with me. This is some excellent posting (you folks seem to know what's what). Hoping you can give me the answeres I need. My son lives in Massachusetts. He is over 21 and is in the process of getting his concealed carry permit. I live in Virginia. I would like to GIVE him one of my Glock pistols. Both are G-19s, one manufactured in Nov. 96, the other well after 10/21/98. Both also have 3.5lb connectors. Neither of these pistols has ever been "registered" in Massachusetts and certainly not in Virginia (a very gun-friendly state). First, can I give him one? Second, which one, if any, can I give him? Third, what process must I adhere to to be legal (for us both), such as FFL to transfer and/or NY/10lb connector and/or 10rnd mags? While I've read various accounts of Mass. requirements, I'm somewhat confused because conclusions vary by account (an inherent weakness in surfing the web). Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated. TIA

Vinny, welcome to the forum.

Any Glock model that's on the EOPS List AND made pre-10/21/1998 can be legally transfered in MA by a MA Dealer. Therefore the G19 (Nov 1996) is OK and the other one is NOT (unless your Son is a LEO). Trigger pull won't matter and if a MA Dealer will accept the gun from a non-FFL, you can legally ship it direct to your Son's FFL (have him check first) for transfer. Shipment must be ONLY via UPS or FedEx air (2nd day air should be OK) per their rules. ONLY pre-ban hi-cap mags are legal in MA (unless Son is LEO) otherwise you'll need to give it to him with 10 rd mags only.

There should be plenty of info here in the MA Laws section that cover this. The above is just a brief overview. Your Son MUST have his LTC-A in-hand prior to you doing this . . . nobody (other than LEOs) can possess handguns in MA legally w/o it.

Last edited:
Great information in this thread, I have a question on transferring a S&W model 10 from an out of state FFL. The MA approved firearms roster lists the S&W model 10-14, so if I understand correctly it is 10-14 only. All previous versions of Model 10 would be a no?

Great information in this thread, I have a question on transferring a S&W model 10 from an out of state FFL. The MA approved firearms roster lists the S&W model 10-14, so if I understand correctly it is 10-14 only. All previous versions of Model 10 would be a no?

Is it C&R (>50 yrs old, easy to tell from S/N)? If so AND if you have a C&R FFL, you can buy it and have it shipped to your door, do an FA-10 as "registration" and all is well.

If it isn't C&R and/or you don't have a C&R FFL, I believe that your conclusion is legally correct.

Len is right, but frankly you need to talk to the MA FFLs you are potentially going to use for the transfer. They are (functionally) the final arbiter of what can and cannot be transferred. If they "make a mistake" it's not your problem.

-Mike

I have an additional question. My boyfriend has a LTC-A in MA and his "home of record" is MA, but he is active duty stationed in NC. Is it legal for me to borrow/buy/receive as a gift a handgun (Ruger LCP) while in NC and bring it home to MA w/ me? I have my own LTC-A for MA.

I have an additional question. My boyfriend has a LTC-A in MA and his "home of record" is MA, but he is active duty stationed in NC. Is it legal for me to borrow/buy/receive as a gift a handgun (Ruger LCP) while in NC and bring it home to MA w/ me? I have my own LTC-A for MA.

It would be legal for you to borrow it from him but that'd be about it. The BATFE gift exemption thing doesn't work, I don't think, if the people involved are residents
of different states.

-Mike

The exemption wouldn't normally work, but this situation is unusual. As someone serving in the military, BATFE allows him to claim residency in both his active duty state and his home of record. I'd think that he could do it, but that it would be safer if he were to make the gift while he was physically present in MA on leave. You might ask BATFE, but a definitive answer could take some time.

Ken

The exemption wouldn't normally work, but this situation is unusual. As someone serving in the military, BATFE allows him to claim residency in both his active duty state and his home of record. I'd think that he could do it, but that it would be safer if he were to make the gift while he was physically present in MA on leave. You might ask BATFE, but a definitive answer could take some time.

Ken

I agree as to the legalities, but if the BF was to bring it home on leave, the GF could just borrow it, negating the need for her to file a FA-10. Additionally, If the BF has been absent from MA for 180 consecutive days, he also would not be required to file a FA-10.

Ok I've read the laws, searched the forum but I have a specific question that I need an answer to.

The S&W 696 .44 Special revolver is on the EOPS list, but when I called S&W they say that the gun was manufactured in 2000, so it's not exempt from the AG regs, because it's not pre-98, right? So does anyone know if this gun is AG approved? Meaning, can it be transferred through a Mass. FFL?

(A note, I don't know if this helps, the gun has a sheet that lists the average accuracy test results and says that it was done for the Mass. AG requirements for handguns with a barrel length shorter than 3 inches. I'm assuming this is because it is Mass. compliant...?)

Any help is much appreciated. [grin]

You know the drill, ask the FFL who will be doing the transfer in MA! It's all up to him/her anyway.

Any guns made pre-June 1998 (yes it is a different date) are exempt from the AG Regs, so a 2000 gun must be AG compliant and the dealer makes that call for the new owner.

I don't think this as be covered previously.

I am a MA resisdent (own home) but also have a second home that I have owned in NH for 25 years where I'm not a resident. If I purchase a handgun in NH and provide the dealer my NH residence address can I then legally transfer this gun into MA even if it is not on the approved list in MA.

Well if you try, you could be a guest at Club Fed for an extended, all expense paid vacation!

FED LAW only allows transfer of handguns in the new owner's state of residence! FTF requires that both parties RESIDE in the same state.

No legal wiggle room here.

Len, NH may be one of his states of residence. From the BATFE...

Q: May a person (who is not an alien) who resides in one State and owns property in another State purchase a handgun in either State?

If a person maintains a home in 2 States and resides in both States for certain periods of the year, he or she may, during the period of time the person actually resides in a particular State, purchase a handgun in that State. However, simply owning property in another State does not qualify the person to purchase a handgun in that State.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#state-residency

Assuming the OP has the appropriate documentation that a NH FFL will require/accept as sufficient evidence of his residency in NH, and that he is appropriately licensed in MA, I don't see the problem.

To the OP: there is no "transfer" necessary. You would be required to "register" said firearm via submission of a FA-10 form within 7 days of the firearm entering MA.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom