• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC runaround...

I called the MA hotline number and was excited to hear that my LTC had been issued and sent to my local PD. I then called the local PD and was told that they didn't have it yet. I politely told them what I was told by the state and they became slightly unpleasant, insisting it had not been received yet.
Any suggestions on next steps? Or do I keep quiet and wait...

You are between a rock and a hard place... call them next week and be nice on the phone!

1tb9t0.jpg

Yup! A lie the chief, selectmen, mayor and city manager ordered them to say....Good luck!

Well sometimes it is laze. Othertimes it is genuinely malicious, IMHO some of the shitbird towns camp on licenses hoping that people will give up and go away.

-Mike

I would swing into the station and ask them to let you know if it "does" come in so that you can take advantage of tax free weekend. Did they happen to tell you when it was sent?

It's crazy, but you made the single biggest mistake you can possibly make when dealing with a cop. You asked him to do his job.

FYI, I live in a town that as far as I can tell does not play any games with your LTC. My first license was mailed from Boston and by the time my PD got it, it was dated as being issued 3 weeks prior. Now either the mailman took three weeks to go from Boston to central MA or, it was printed and back dated to be within the 40 days as required by law.

Just saying.

Go to the station and ask for it. The person you talked to was probably just too lazy to get up and look for it.

I think sometimes they wait for multiple licenses for the same town to be ready before they mail them together to the PD.
If that is true, they could have marked it as “sent” when it’s not really sent.
I disagree with some of the advice here. I’d just wait another couple weeks if need be. They’ll call you soon enough.

A friend had the same thing happen to them, but they live in a town that was sued by Comm2A for licensing shenanigans. Ironically, said friend was/is a civilian employee at the PD, and eventually had to camp out in front of the licensing officer's office and have said person's LT order him back from the extended coffee break. My friend's licensing delay might have something to do with the not so subtle threat to sue should the LTC come back with the LO suggested Target/Hunting restriction.

I called the MA hotline number and was excited to hear that my LTC had been issued and sent to my local PD. I then called the local PD and was told that they didn't have it yet. I politely told them what I was told by the state and they became slightly unpleasant, insisting it had not been received yet.

Relax.

Your local PD is pushing it.

Happens all the time.

not that it's going to solve the problem, but....I find it better, when I have an issue, to show up in person and talk to the issuing authority. I don't mean the chief obviously, but the person charged with that detail. I know work commitments sometimes void that option. I've just found, and we probably all agree, you get better answers face to face. maybe the guy just had to open a drawer and look through the pile since you were in front of him at the moment. just sayin."

eta: sometimes people just call the station and talk to the officer on duty there. chances are, he/she doesn't know anything about what was asked regarding ltc's and just says anything to get you off the line. i'd do it and have on my job. (no, i'm not a cop! [laugh])

Go to the station and ask for it. The person you talked to was probably just too lazy to get up and look for it.

This.

Mine had shown up some days before I was set to do an FTF. I knew that because I called the state. I needed my new license number and PIN to do the transfer, so I emailed my friendly neighborhood licensing officer and explained the situation. Emphasizing that I was fully legal and wanted to do a damn transfer.

He got back to me with the license number and PIN, though he admitted he only mailed the licenses one day a week and let them pile up in the meantime. I didn’t whine because I got what I wanted, and because I know this same guy also runs the radio room and the motor pool in addition to his patrol duties.

I know how additional duties work.

FWIW, mine was a renewal.

amm5061-
Good advice, I was assuming that he was using the oldest fake name in the books here .... like the one you use at the No-Tell Mo-Tell as you're paying in cash ...
;)

Hey ! The system stinks but that's just the way it is in Massachusetts. My last renewal took about 93 days, and I've had my LTC for over 40 years. Every time I go to renew my license they treat me just like a new applicant.

The single person that does these things, does them once every week or every other week, or a day a month depending on volume.
The state sends it to the PD, but the Licensing Official wont even open them until the time to sit down and do that paper work comes. Since the mail is not opened, they don't have it. Then the guy that is picking up the phones (who hates this assignment, much rather be out making a difference), says yeah we call you when we get it. Then you "questioned his authority" by saying the state sent it. See where this is going...
upload_2018-8-8_13-14-39.jpeg

The town in question is supposedly green. And the person I spoke to is I believe the same person who took my info during the in- person "sit down"....

Well whadaya know.. I got a nice voicemail informing me that my LTC was ready and I could come get it anytime... Just went to the station and was handed an envelope from a stack of about 30. Class A large capacity. I did the sit down on May 30 so I guess it wasn't too bad of a wait.

Back
Top Bottom