• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC not acceptable form of Identification

"State Issued ID" is very narrow in definition. See Rob's post.

MGL ch 138 sec 34b specifically lists what forms of IDs are covered by the "reasonably relies on" safe harbor for the seller of alcohol.

This has nothing to do with other places where ID is required - banks; internal passport control at airports; etc.

Using your LTC as a form of ID is the equivalent of walking up to someone and saying, "I have a big cock."

It also carries the same amount of weight.

It's dumb and any ramifications from using it that get your panties in a bunch you deserve.

Anyone ever hear of "concealed means concealed", that's not just for firearms.

MGL ch 138 sec 34b specifically lists what forms of IDs are covered by the "reasonably relies on" safe harbor for the seller of alcohol.

This has nothing to do with other places where ID is required - banks; internal passport control at airports; etc.

Mass drivwrs license
Mass liquor id
Military ID
Passport recognized by US

Are only forms of ID legal in defense of serving a minor. Not even out of state drivers licenses.
However, you are not required to"card" anyone as long as you dont serve someone who is under 21.

Mass drivwrs license
Mass liquor id
Military ID
Passport recognized by US

Are only forms of ID legal in defense of serving a minor. Not even out of state drivers licenses.
However, you are not required to"card" anyone as long as you dont serve someone who is under 21.

Let's propose a bill to change this, shall we?

Mine did. My drivers license had expired.

This is the part I don't understand. The expiration date indicates the time at which the authorization to drive expires, however, you don't stop being you on that date - so why the concern about the expiration date?

No sales to out of state consumers?

NHCraigT has a point - as a bartender (see my sig) I would not accept an FID or LTC when I card a person - because, under Mass law, it's not an acceptable form of ID for alcohol purchase, and were there to be an "issue", I would be jammed up for not getting an acceptable form of ID.

It's possible that there is a list of acceptable IDs that the PO is working from, and since most states don't have the same LTC setup that Mass does, it's not on the List.

Yes, I understand it's a [rolleyes] situation, but even though I know that an FID is harder to obtain (both legitimately and under the table) than a DL, that's the way the law is written.

Mass Booze Law cite:

http://www.mass.gov/abcc/pdf/idlawchange_with_id_pix.pdf

I only carry around the ID necessary for the activity I'm engaged in.

If I'm riding my bike to pick my kid up at school, I am not driving and I am not armed. I therefore do not carry any government issued ID. I do have my health insurance card and a mobile phone with an ICE entry. I've also written my "Wife - 123-456-7890" on my health insurance card.

If I'm riding my bike to work in Cambridge, I only carry my MA LTC. I've been carded and used that. Oh well. Sorry if it offends MaGyver. Its not a big dick thing. Its just all that I'm carrying. Just last fall, I used my MA LTC to clear security at Logan and at SFO for the return trip. Oh well.

It may be that they are provided a list of acceptable ID's by the higher-ups.

If its not on the list, then they may not accept it. I know that is the case with some banks.

I ran in to this when cashing a check at a bank once. I didn't have my DL on me so I gave her the LTC they said, "This is not a 'real' ID." to which I replied, "Then this must not be a real gun on my hip." At that point my LTC suddenly became 'real' and my check was cashed and I was on my way.

It also happened at Applebees in Fall River. I was not carrying and was ID'ed for a beer. I had a temp DL while waiting for my renewal to show up in the mail. They would not accept the temp because it is paper. So I gave them my LTC. They said they couldn't accept it. I sent them to their manager they both came back and said the same thing. There were 2 FRPD officers in uniform at the bar 30 feet away at the time. I called them over and said "Please tell these morons that this IS a state issued ID." The officers spent nearly 5 min giving them both a rash of shit for hassling me over the ID. Probably because it ultimately interrupted them hitting on the bartender. My meal was free that night... I did have to pay for the drinks though...

I ran in to this when cashing a check at a bank once. I didn't have my DL on me so I gave her the LTC they said, "This is not a 'real' ID." to which I replied, "Then this must not be a real gun on my hip." At that point my LTC suddenly became 'real' and my check was cashed and I was on my way ...

It was just a coincidence 17 cruisers piled into the parking lot as you pulled away.

Good thing the cctv was too grainy for an id!

LOL

Sent from my chimney using smoke signals.

No sales to out of state consumers?

Under the law, as it's written, no, unless they have a valid passport, or military ID. An out-of state DL is not acceptable. Now, not all places that card are as narrow-minded, and many places that do weddings, etc., are more liberal, and will serve a person that appears to be of age, and can back it up with out-of-state plastic.

As stated above, the law is that you not serve anyone under 21....but most establishments are more twitchy, due to the severe problems if they get caught. How's this for a good one: A customer comes in, orders a Bud, you card them, they show valid ID; they drink the beer, go out to the car, and return. Since they have left the building, you're required to re-card them, if they ask for another drink.....[rolleyes]

Again, as Rob said, it's a matter of staying in compliance in case the SHTF.

What did Shakespeare say about lawyers, again?

[laugh]

The other issue is that the person doing an ID check is generally not the owner who will have his business license suspended, but a minimum wage functionary who is told "don't think, follow policy". When the "manager" gets called, it's a challenge to the owners authority, and the need to prove who is in charge can trump any desire to work out a solution appropriate to the situation.

People make up your mind! You shop at Dicks and get pissed when they ask you for your LTC...now someone does not take your LTC and your undies are in a knot.....Good God make up your ****ing mind![slap]

ROFL....I was just thinking this.

I was traveling with a coworker on Tuesday and the TSA agent at the American Airlines security line turned down his LTC as a form of ID. He had inadvertently pulled it out instead of his Drivers License. She said there was a recent policy change.

I was traveling with a coworker on Tuesday and the TSA agent at the American Airlines security line turned down his LTC as a form of ID. He had inadvertently pulled it out instead of his Drivers License. She said there was a recent policy change.

Great. Can I see the policy please?

A woman I used to work for at Pfizer taught me that little trick. Every time someone says its "policy", ask to see the policy. When I flew on my LTC the guy at first wasn't quite sure what to do. The second guy said "oh. ok". and waived me on.

I was surprised I didn't have any trouble at SFO. Part of it may have been that I was traveling with my wife, a Delta Diamond Medallion member and a million miler.

I used my LTC as an ID to get beer at the local Mexican place a few months ago. Honestly didn't think much of it, until the waiter spend a good minute grilling it. I said "want to compare my fingerprint to the one on the back?" and that snapped him out of his confusion. I didn't even think that places would deny it (this one didn't)

Great. Can I see the policy please?

A woman I used to work for at Pfizer taught me that little trick. Every time someone says its "policy", ask to see the policy. When I flew on my LTC the guy at first wasn't quite sure what to do. The second guy said "oh. ok". and waived me on.

I was surprised I didn't have any trouble at SFO. Part of it may have been that I was traveling with my wife, a Delta Diamond Medallion member and a million miler.

I just looked here: Acceptable IDs | Transportation Security Administration

and something like "a state issued ID" is not there.

It does say a "state issued ID that has been issued by the DMV". So the states where their carry permits are issued by their DMV would be good. I know in some states the carry permit is just an endorsement on your DL.

- - - Updated - - -

I used my LTC as an ID to get beer at the local Mexican place a few months ago. Honestly didn't think much of it, until the waiter spend a good minute grilling it. I said "want to compare my fingerprint to the one on the back?" and that snapped him out of his confusion. I didn't even think that places would deny it (this one didn't)

I wonder what a Machine Gun License would get you.

(and yes, that is like saying "I have a big dick")

I wonder what a Machine Gun License would get you.

I can't wait to show mine off everywhere when MA finally pulls their collective heads out of their collective asses and issues it. I'll let you know if Carlos (yes that's his real name, no racism here) still serves me Dos Equis lager on tap with an LPMG.

My LTC is useless as an ID. The picture is blurry and from my waist up, the finger print is a black blob, would be useless anyways if it were crisp. And my DOB is wrong.

My LTC is useless as an ID. The picture is blurry and from my waist up, the finger print is a black blob, would be useless anyways if it were crisp. And my DOB is wrong.
No hassles for the bad DOB? Which date do you use on the 4473s and FA-10s?

Meh, sometimes the TSA does't even recognize my TSA-issued TWIC.

Yyah, I hear ya. The first time I flashed my twic in an airport in 08 I ended up getting pulled aside and almost strip searched. The dude and his super decided I was pulling something with it.

sent from something with Linux

This is the part I don't understand. The expiration date indicates the time at which the authorization to drive expires, however, you don't stop being you on that date - so why the concern about the expiration date?

It's all about [rules] [laugh]. I was in a gov't sponsored SW retraining program back in the 1990s and you had to prove citizenship with a birth certificate or passport. Since my passport was due to expire during the program, she told me that I'd have to re-prove my citizenship at that time. She was a good person but still a gov't functionary . . . I asked her if my US Citizenship automatically expired along with my passport? [rofl]

I ran in to this when cashing a check at a bank once. I didn't have my DL on me so I gave her the LTC they said, "This is not a 'real' ID." to which I replied, "Then this must not be a real gun on my hip." At that point my LTC suddenly became 'real' and my check was cashed and I was on my way.

I used my FL CCW as ID for the bank's Notary when getting the FL renewal form Notarized. [laugh] It just seemed to be the appropriate thing to do and I explained it to her that way.

When I got my PO Box, my USPO didn't ask for any proof of anything. Maybe it's because the clerks up front and the Postmaster all know me by name and even know my address? [Prior PO Boxes in other towns thru the years required verification of where I lived by my Postal delivery person back thru their system.]

However many years ago I had a PO Box in another town for maybe 5 or 6 years and went to pay the annual rent with a check (as I always did back then). The clerk says "write your SSN on the check as 'ID'" . . . I refused and he says "it's on your DL anyway" to which I pulled out my DL and handed it to him, telling him it wasn't on my DL. He throws my DL across the counter and says "this is no good". I demanded the Postmaster and he settled it w/o SSN or anything else. I was unaware at that time that his demand violated the US Right to Privacy Act or I would have taken steps to have the a-hole fired!

Back
Top Bottom