LTC not acceptable form of Identification

I was trying to get a PO box at the post office and apparently my LTC was not an acceptable form of ID (required two ID). I asked why because it has my picture and Address which matches my drivers license. He told me because it doesn't prove my residence? And I asked how does a passport, which does not have your current address prove my residence because that's an acceptable form of ID on the PO box form.
The funny part is that he accepted my vehicle registration which isn't even in my name!
Same thing when buying liquor one time... i wanted to kick the clerk in the balls

I just don't think people asking for ID understand what people have to go through to get a LTC.
It is not a judgement about what a legit applicant has to do to get it, but rather about the ability of the person accepting the being able to (a) Verify is indeed the person it was issued to and (b) known steps were taken to verify the identity before issuance.

I bought beer with it when I was much younger, and my license was suspended for driving drunk. Clerk asked why I didn’t have my license on me, when I said DUI he just laughed and said fine.

In fairness, that was from 2009.

A few years ago, I went to the bank with a check from one of the twins - they whose Christmas cards I Braille every year. They print checks on a printer and sign them with a signature stamp. They've been doing it that way since... well, since they've had checking accounts, and they're a couple years older than my mother.

That day, the teller at my bank looked at the signature stamp and frowned. I said, "She's blind - that's how she signs her checks." The teller was having none of it, and would only deposit the funds - did I mention this was a DEPOSIT? - into my account with a HOLD.

When Betsey found out about it, she was fit to be tied. She must've called the bank and given them an earful, cuz that afternoon I got a call from the branch manager with an apology and assurances it became a "teachable moment" for the staff.

BOA sucks.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJh3VbYiJ6s

Bubba Stevenson, (second link), shot a sanctioned IDPA match at my local club. I SO'd him on the stage I was working, and it was simply incredible to watch him shoot. We made accomodations for him, placing chairs at the shooting positions.

talk about inspirational...good for him to overcome and adapt.

about a ltc for an id, i would never try and use it in that capacity. i realize this is a necro thread and i didn't read the whole thread but flashing your ltc over town for id is just one step down from having your name published in the newspaper. that's my business and for no one to know unless i choose to tell them.

and yes, i've lived in the same town since i got my ltc so that's over 50 years and of course old timers i've friended know as well as most cops in town...i know most of em. yeah, i've been stopped for minor traffic violations and if i comes up on a screen no one has mentioned it but my point with having a ltc, it falls in the don't ask, don't tell side of my brain.

i posted about outing myself to my neighbor because when he moved in, he showed all the classic signs of firearm ownership. his first 15 minutes on the property when they moved in he hoisted a gadsden flag right after the national flag went up on the 2 poles that were in the front yard. there were a few other little tells i interpreted, albeit wrong, so i approached him and did a supreme rule break by bringing up guns and asked him like an excited 10 year old "you like guns? i do, too." i've never done that before and will curb that enthusiasm if there's a next time. but as i said, i usually keep that info to myself, i just think that's best.

It is not a judgement about what a legit applicant has to do to get it, but rather about the ability of the person accepting the being able to (a) Verify is indeed the person it was issued to and (b) known steps were taken to verify the identity before issuance.
I used my FID as a second form of ID three times in my entire life and two were for mortgage applications involving a substantial amount of money. Never had an issue. One of the mortgage officers never saw one before and she asked if I was a firearms dealer. I told her it was simply a permit to possess a rifle or shotgun in MA. Dealer license is entirety different and much more difficult to obtain.

It may be that they are provided a list of acceptable ID's by the higher-ups.

If its not on the list, then they may not accept it. I know that is the case with some banks.
My bank did not give a crap about what is and what is not a state ID they had a list of IDs THEY had a list of IDs they accepted and LTC was not one of them

I used my passport and LTC as proof of id because my DL didn’t have jr on it. This was for my last airline that I was flying for. My pilots lic didn’t have jr on it either. I took care of all my id’s put jr on everything.

Used my Ltc for real id drivers license last week. No worries. so I am missing something. used my Ltc as a core document for my real I’d that it allows me to fly…..but can’t use it as proof of identity?
I did this as well at a MA RMV. The clerk working there was from NH and was quite comfortable taking the ltc.

Using an LTC for ID is like positioning any of your carry permits in your wallet so anyone behind you in line a the supermarket can see it. I use my driving license when asked if my papers are in order, and my gun permits are buried in a discrete location in my wallet.

I am familiar with one situation in NY when there was some "extra interaction" because a NYSP officer noticed the edge of a carry permit when a driver produced his license. Get lost in a crowd of one or stand out like a turd in a punchbowl - your choice.

Last edited:
Funny thing, when I was doing a lot of ham exams, which require two forms of ID, a *lot* of people used green cards. (Mass MG licenses, not permanent resident cards.) At least as many as LTCs. If you've got it, flaunt it, I guess?

BOA sucks.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJh3VbYiJ6s

Bubba Stevenson, (second link), shot a sanctioned IDPA match at my local club. I SO'd him on the stage I was working, and it was simply incredible to watch him shoot. We made accomodations for him, placing chairs at the shooting positions.

That guy is actually a very good shot considering his disability. I watched that video a long time ago and was amazed at the dexterity he had in his feet.

Bring light to the saying "Improvise, Adapt and Overcome", that guy nails it.

Using an LTC for ID is like positioning any of your carry permits in your wallet so anyone behind you in line a the supermarket can see it. I use my driving license when asked if my papers are in order, and my gun permits are buried in a discrete location in my wallet.

I am familiar with one situation in NY when there was some "extra interaction" because a NYSP officer noticed the edge of a carry permit when a driver produced his license. Get lost in a crowd of one or stand out like a turd in a punchbowl - your choice.
Similar to the "bumper stickers" on personal vehicles. You can telegraph an awful lot of personal info about your life/family, and you don't know who will take advantage of that intel.

Similar to the "bumper stickers" on personal vehicles. You can telegraph an awful lot of personal info about your life/family, and you don't know who will take advantage of that intel.
Years ago, a few of us were carpooling to a match in (I think) PA but transiting enemy territory (NJ). The rules the passenger imposed on the driver was "remove the NRA decal from the window and nobody wears a shooting shirt while transiting NJ". The only time I had to produce my permit on demand that was unanticipated was when my car wsa broken down in 128 and the responding MSP officer saw a gun club logo on my T shirt.

Years ago, a few of us were carpooling to a match in (I think) PA but transiting enemy territory (NJ). The rules the passenger imposed on the driver was "remove the NRA decal from the window and nobody wears a shooting shirt while transiting NJ". The only time I had to produce my permit on demand that was unanticipated was when my car wsa broken down in 128 and the responding MSP officer saw a gun club logo on my T shirt.
Years ago, while attending graduate school (MBA) at UMass-Lowell, I stopped at Wendy's on route 38 after work for a chicken sandwich while I was on my way to class. A dodgy character noticed the NRA sticker on the back window of my pickup truck's cap and approached. He was with some white supremacist group and handed me papers advocating a race war and other nonsense. I handed them back, told him I wasn't interested and went on my way. When I got home from class later that night, I used a utility knife blade to scrape off that sticker. Never again. No more stickers of any kind on my truck.

I don't know why they don't use the same system as the driver's license system. It's not like the printing of the purpose of the license couldn't be changed to suit an LTC/FID/hunting/fishing/hairdressing/complaining/whatever license.

Just more bureaucracy silliness.
Even easier would be to add a line to the driver's license. One less card in your wallet.

Even easier would be to add a line to the driver's license. One less card in your wallet.
The DL is supposed to do one thing: serve as evidence that you've passed the requirements to be a licensed driver.

Now people want it to be an internal passport, serving as ID, and "just adding a line..." to show citizenship or immigration status, veteran status, etc.

No thanks. I won't even get a Real-ID compliant DL.

Would love to see a Social Club where you can only get in WITH an LTC...

The DL is supposed to do one thing: serve as evidence that you've passed the requirements to be a licensed driver.

Now people want it to be an internal passport, serving as ID, and "just adding a line..." to show citizenship or immigration status, veteran status, etc.

No thanks. I won't even get a Real-ID compliant DL.

The LTC is supposed to do one thing: serve as evidence that you've passed the requirements to be a licensed gun owner.

Is it so hard to ask and to understand that one card could have printed information showing that requirements for more than one license has been met? You've already succumbed to the licensing and proof part of it for both licenses, why not make it simpler for the recipient and everyone else involved and show both licenses on one card?

The LTC is supposed to do one thing: serve as evidence that you've passed the requirements to be a licensed gun owner.

Is it so hard to ask and to understand that one card could have printed information showing that requirements for more than one license has been met? You've already succumbed to the licensing and proof part of it for both licenses, why not make it simpler for the recipient and everyone else involved and show both licenses on one card?
Not everyone wishes to identify themselves as a gun owner to every person they have to show their driver's license to.

Let's say your driving license gets revoked for some paperwork screwup and Officer Friendly is on your doorstep demanding your license. Do you want to lose your LTC too? (Or the other way around.) Think about all the ways of getting screwed if it's Officer Not-Friendly on your doorstep.

Back
Top Bottom