• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC not acceptable form of Identification

rogzballz

NES Member
I was trying to get a PO box at the post office and apparently my LTC was not an acceptable form of ID (required two ID). I asked why because it has my picture and Address which matches my drivers license. He told me because it doesn't prove my residence? And I asked how does a passport, which does not have your current address prove my residence because that's an acceptable form of ID on the PO box form.
The funny part is that he accepted my vehicle registration which isn't even in my name!

Whomever you spoke to is wrong. I can't speak for Post Office Policy but the MA LTC is a state issued id with all the pertinent info (and then some!) to serve as a gov id.
THIS,

I've used my LTC as a form of ID for employment purposes, it's a State issues ID, should be no issues...

It may be that they are provided a list of acceptable ID's by the higher-ups.

If its not on the list, then they may not accept it. I know that is the case with some banks.

NHCraigT has a point - as a bartender (see my sig) I would not accept an FID or LTC when I card a person - because, under Mass law, it's not an acceptable form of ID for alcohol purchase, and were there to be an "issue", I would be jammed up for not getting an acceptable form of ID.

It's possible that there is a list of acceptable IDs that the PO is working from, and since most states don't have the same LTC setup that Mass does, it's not on the List.

Yes, I understand it's a [rolleyes] situation, but even though I know that an FID is harder to obtain (both legitimately and under the table) than a DL, that's the way the law is written.

Mass Booze Law cite:

http://www.mass.gov/abcc/pdf/idlawchange_with_id_pix.pdf

Last edited:
It is a state issued ID so it would fall under the "state non-driver’s identification card" on the USPS list of acceptable IDs.
This term generally refers to an ID issued by a state's drivers license department that serves as an ID without authorization to drive. It is not a general term for any form of document with your name on it issued by the state.

NHCraigT has a point - as a bartender (see my sig) I would not accept an FID or LTC when I card a person - because, under Mass law, it's not an acceptable form of ID for alcohol purchase, and were there to be an "issue", I would be jammed up for not getting an acceptable form of ID.

It's possible that there is a list of acceptable IDs that the PO is working from, and since most states don't have the same LTC setup that Mass does, it's not on the List.

Mass Booze Law cite:

http://www.mass.gov/abcc/pdf/idlawchange_with_id_pix.pdf

I hate when people use the "buying alcohol" example, because it's misleading.

You don't need to check ID. The only thing you need to do is refuse to sell to or serve anyone under 21.

What the "approved ID" gets you is immunity from prosecution if you verified the customer's age with one of the types on the list. That's it. If you're comfortable that a kid that looks 14 is actually 21 because you were there when he was born, you don't need to check ID. If you're unsure, but know how hard an LTC is to fake, you can use that. If you're sure the person with the white, thinning hair is over 21, serve away.

*however*, if that LTC is faked, you mis-remembered the kid's birthday by a year, if that greying guy has a genetic disorder and is only 20, you're in trouble. If the passport of driver's license or other "approved ID" is faked, you're fine.

But you don't need to check ID.

Lots of bars and restaurants and liquor stores fall back to, "customers must have and show one of the IDs on this list" because they don't actually care about selling you booze as much as they're terrified of getting in legal trouble, and don't trust their cashiers/bartenders/waiters to understand the law.

At my PO the clerk wasn't sure if my LTC was an acceptable second ID in addition to my DL and asked his supervisor. The supervisor looked at it and told him it was GTG because it was a state issued picture ID and a "good thing to have" [smile].

My friend's father had his LTC suspended for using it as a form of ID at a bank. They said he was trying to intimidate the bank employee. I only take mine out of my wallet at the gun store that's it

The security features on an LTC are *MUCH* lower than on a driver's license. You can order all the equipment to print a plastic LTC like card on-line, and there is nothing "hard" to replicate. A driver's license has numerous security features that would make it very difficult to get some off the shelf hardware and produce a convincing fake with a small amount of work.

Add to that the varying standards of ID required when originally getting an LTC - I've seen everything from "prove everything, even the obvious" to "we know your father, what is your name and when were you born?" when filling out the LTC application.

My friend's father had his LTC suspended for using it as a form of ID at a bank.

What town did this?

My wife recently had surgery which necessitated a prescription for vicotin. Cvs requested my driver's license for id. I told them I'd walked there and made them use my ltc instead. She looked at me funny, but processed the sale.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

This term generally refers to an ID issued by a state's drivers license department that serves as an ID without authorization to drive. It is not a general term for any form of document with your name on it issued by the state.

THis is something people miss when it comes to "zOMG they wont take my LTC as a form of ID! ITs state issued!" I have had varying degrees of success with using it as an ID, knowing full well that if iits rejected as a form of ID, its tough luck for me.

Whomever you spoke to is wrong. I can't speak for Post Office Policy but the MA LTC is a state issued id with all the pertinent info (and then some!) to serve as a gov id.

Was at the Liquor store about a month ago with a buddy & I got ID'ed... I laughed, said "sure" & took out my license, lady asked for my buddies license too - he pulled it out & she said "this is expired", so he showed her his LTC-A.

She said, I can't take this, we both said it has all the same info on it, and it is a state issued ID. Not to mention, We're both 30+ years old. She called over to the manager & he backed her up.

Needless to say, we walked out.

My FURTHER argument is: WHY aren't they IDing the kids that go into the liquor store with their parents? AND denying them sale of the alcohol ?

[angry]

I don't know why they don't use the same system as the driver's license system. It's not like the printing of the purpose of the license couldn't be changed to suit an LTC/FID/hunting/fishing/hairdressing/complaining/whatever license.

Just more bureaucracy silliness.

A private business can mandate any form of ID they want, with the caveat that not accepting a state issued ID like a firearms license will probably lose them business (and should). But the PO should absolutely be accepting any form of a state issued ID. Be careful how hard you push them though. The phrase "going postal" has ominous origins.

Was at the Liquor store about a month ago with a buddy & I got ID'ed... I laughed, said "sure" & took out my license, lady asked for my buddies license too - he pulled it out & she said "this is expired", so he showed her his LTC-A.

She said, I can't take this, we both said it has all the same info on it, and it is a state issued ID. Not to mention, We're both 30+ years old. She called over to the manager & he backed her up.

My FURTHER argument is: WHY aren't they IDing the kids that go into the liquor store with their parents? AND denying them sale of the alcohol ?

[angry]

It is valid defense to selling alcohol to underage person that an approved form of ID was presented and a reasonable person would consider it valid (ie, good forgery; photo resembles but is not the presenter). As previously mentioned, an LTC is not such a form of state approved ID in the alcohol laws and, as such, accepting one that turns out to be a forgery or belonging to someone else is no defense to an underage sale charge.

[angry]

A private business can mandate any form of ID they want, with the caveat that not accepting a state issued ID like a firearms license will probably lose them business (and should). But the PO should absolutely be accepting any form of a state issued ID. Be careful how hard you push them though. The phrase "going postal" has ominous origins.

"State Issued ID" is very narrow in definition. See Rob's post.

Back
Top Bottom