LTC-A restricted to "target"?

LET ME REMIND EVERYONE ABOUT THIS :

Massachusetts: The people have a right to keep and to bear arms for the common defence. And as, in time of peace, armies are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be maintained without the consent of the legislature; and the military power shall always be held in an exact subordination to the civil authority, and be governed by it.

The Class A Unrestricted LTC is the only license that allows concealed carry of firearms. Period.

A friend showed me the letter from newton pd outlining their restrictions. Target and sporting restrictions allow concealed carry in transit and during those activities. Sadly I'm in Boston so my restrictions will completely disallow carry.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Massachusetts: The people have a right to keep and to bear arms for the common defence. And as, in time of peace, armies are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be maintained without the consent of the legislature; and the military power shall always be held in an exact subordination to the civil authority, and be governed by it.

Our CT constitution is even more clear stating the right to keep and bear arms... I'm too tired to look it up at the moment.

However the fact it is in our state constitution didn't mean shit to the weasels in our government who screwed us in 2013.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

Our CT constitution is even more clear stating the right to keep and bear arms... I'm too tired to look it up at the moment.

However the fact it is in our state constitution didn't mean shit to the weasels in our government who screwed us in 2013.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

Here ya go brother

[Self-defense right explicitly protected.]
Connecticut: Every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state. Art. I, § 15 (enacted 1818, art. I, § 17). The original 1818 text came from the Mississippi Constitution of 1817.

Only good reason to live in a small town in western Mass. They pretty much hand them out like candy at the police station. My wife, my newly turned 21 year old daughter all have a LTC for any lawfull purpose. They push the any lawful purpose LTC application. Sorry man.

Well, seeing as just about the only critter you can hunt in Mass with a handgun is Black Bear and you have to use a revolver chambered in 357 or larger, it is kind of a moot point.

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfw/laws-regulations/plain-lang-sum/hunting-with-handguns.html.

But I thought there was a bear in Newton or something last year. [thinking]

You can buy and hunt with a long gun with your hunting license.

Couple of corrections: Unless you're from out of state with a valid hunting license, you need an FID or LTC to hunt with modern firearms; primitive or bow does not require an FID or LTC (though for the purchase of ammo for the BP arm, you do need one). The last line of the quote implies that a hunting license is sufficient for possession of a long gun, which is not correct for a Mass resident.

You can hunt opossum with a handgun, but it cannot be over .38 caliber.

There is no prohibition against hunting coyote (except during shotgun deer season) with rifles and/or handguns (AFAIK there is not caliber/chambering restrictions for this)

It's a morass of WTF? moments trying to dig through all that.

Last edited:
Only good reason to live in a small town in western Mass. They pretty much hand them out like candy at the police station. My wife, my newly turned 21 year old daughter all have a LTC for any lawfull purpose. They push the any lawful purpose LTC application. Sorry man.

There are many towns in eastern MA that operate on this basis as well. Despite the problems in some places like Brookline, the vast majority of LTCs issued in MA are LTC-A/Unrestricted.

The MA SJC has held that the state constitution grants absolutely no individual right to bear arms (see Commonweath v. Davis). The only protection as a right stems from the US constitution; Heller and McDonald.

hope you get robbed, then you might have a leg to stand on
I shouldn't need to be robbed/mobbed/stabbed/shot in order to exercise my right as an American citizen. I even sent them death threats I have gotten. Not sure what else they want. But I guess that is what it takes in the people's republic.

Not sure what else they want.
They want you to have a restricted LTC.

Brookline not only restricts LTCs, but treats the application process not as a screening to make sure you are not disqualified or a threat to public safety, but a scavenger hunt looking for a reason to deny.

Ask for an unrestricted LTC and get a restricted one? Better remember if you asked for unrestricted, as Brookline may just consider issuance of a restricted one as a "denial" for the purpose of the "have you even been denied" question.

I shouldn't need to be robbed/mobbed/stabbed/shot in order to exercise my right as an American citizen. I even sent them death threats I have gotten. Not sure what else they want. But I guess that is what it takes in the people's republic.

Run for office and change the law

Only 1/3 of the Brookline LTC holders are fortunate enough to have a unrestricted LTC - and this includes the LTCs issued to police, former police, powerful members of society, important people, etc. An appeal at the district court level is a longshot at best, and even taking that longshot will require competent legal counsel.

Didn't SCOTUS come out saying the right to defense extends past your front door and thus not being allowed to carry for self defense would be unconstitutional?

Didn't SCOTUS come out saying the right to defense extends past your front door and thus not being allowed to carry for self defense would be unconstitutional?

If only the MA sjc would see it that way. My guess is that they think the mere possibility of an unrestricted LTC, without guaranteed issue, is good enough, and they will probably maintain that opinion until SCOTUS is more clear (clear enough that there is absolutely no wiggle room).

Don't worry... if someone tries to make good on those threats the police will arrive is under 30 minutes or the clean up is free.

Zero concealed carry. Don't go there.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

A friend showed me the letter from newton pd outlining their restrictions. Target and sporting restrictions allow concealed carry in transit and during those activities. Sadly I'm in Boston so my restrictions will completely disallow carry.

Pics? I don't believe that for one minute.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

I'm curious. Those of you MA residents (from any town) with your unrestricted LTCs: can you carry in Boston?
If I understand it correctly, the license is a state license. It is reviewed and approved by each individual town's chief of police. In other words, you can carry in all towns as long as you have the appropriate license issued to you by YOUR town's police department.

This method in itself is full retard as illustrated in my case. Your rights are penalized for living in a certain town.

I am in Brookline, I just got confirmation that I would be receiving a LTC-A with a restriction for "target" purposes. Despite showing several receipts that I am forced to handle large sums of money for my small business, I was restricted to just target shooting. My question is, what do you think my chances of appealing this decision are?

My understanding is this restriction limits me to carrying to and from the range, right? No other purpose?

I am really bummed out by this, so any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/224611-Lifting-Restrictions

If you look at the letter on the Newton PD website they specifically say that possession is allowed "Includes travel to and from activity location." what it doesn't say is if that means you can concealed carry during travel or simply posses a locked up firearm in your car.

http://www.newtonpolice.com/NEW_FORMS/Firearms-Eligibility.pdf

If you look at the letter on the Newton PD website they specifically say that possession is allowed "Includes travel to and from activity location." what it doesn't say is if that means you can concealed carry during travel or simply posses a locked up firearm in your car.

http://www.newtonpolice.com/NEW_FORMS/Firearms-Eligibility.pdf

My friend who lives in Newton was told by his licensing officer that concealed carry to and from the range is allowed.

Mudfish linked what looks to be the same letter above. Like I mentioned in a previous post, the Newton LO said that it allows concealed carry, but only to and from the range. I think this is a little odd, because it basically means that if you join enough ranges in the area, you could conceivably always "heading to" one or another of them.

Mudfish linked what looks to be the same letter above. Like I mentioned in a previous post, the Newton LO said that it allows concealed carry, but only to and from the range. I think this is a little odd, because it basically means that if you join enough ranges in the area, you could conceivably always "heading to" one or another of them.
That is what I was thinking of doing. But really, I would need a certified letter from the PD listing this. Plus, range memberships are 100 bucks a pop.

Such expense to exercise one's right...

That is what I was thinking of doing. But really, I would need a certified letter from the PD listing this. Plus, range memberships are 100 bucks a pop.

Such expense to exercise one's right...

I think, since you are in brookline rosefox, they won't let you concealed carry even going to the range. Each chief gets to decide what restrictions they will apply to the LTCs they issue. Since there is no statutory definition of what restrictions they can apply, they can give the same restrictions and define them differently. Hence why living in Boston sucks, because they say definitively that if you have a restriction you have no concealed carry rights, and I'm guessing Brookline is the same way. There isn't any wiggle room - otherwise I'd join a range to the north and to the south ;)

Back
Top Bottom