LTC-A restricted to "target"?

I was also curious, with a LTC-A with a target restriction, am I allowed to go hunting as long as I get a hunting license? It seems to be that a restricted LTC is just a way to deny someone their rights through a legal loophole. Make it so hard to get its nearly impossible.

Again, you have to ask your CoP. It's up to him.

When I got my first (restricted) license in Watertown, they told me, "no." If I wanted to hunt, I'd have to come back and get them to add "hunting" to the restriction. But that's not necessarily the policy of other towns.

Can I honestly even defend myself in this state? Seriously, I hear horror stories of someone defending their family from an intruder in their home and the father going to jail as a result.

It seems every criminal is treated as a "victim" in this state unless they are a gun owner.

Can I honestly even defend myself in this state? Seriously, I hear horror stories of someone defending their family from an intruder in their home and the father going to jail as a result.

It seems every criminal is treated as a "victim" in this state unless they are a gun owner.

I wouldn't buy into every gun owner horror story you hear anecdotally on the internet. Much of that is urban myth, or the exception rather than the rule.

Your instructor should have covered deadly force statues in your basic safety class, and you should be very familiar with the scope and limitations of your right to defend yourself. If not, I highly recommend you attend a class that covers this, whether it's GOAL's Art of Conceal Carry or one of the MA firearms law lectures that are offered (LenS, Attorney Cohen, etc).

However, I also recommend that EVERY gun owner establish a relationship with a attorney who specializes in firearms and self defense, especially if you plan to conceal carry or keep a gun ready for self defense. Right, wrong or otherwise, you don't want to be thumbing through the yellow pages from a holding cell downtown. Establish a relationship, put a retainer down if necessary, and develop a response plan so that you know exactly what to do if you're forced to use your firearm. That gun on your hip on in your nightstand is a HUGE potential liability, and you need to know when and how you plan to use it, when you don't use it, and what you need to say and do (and NOT say and do) when/if you need to use it.

Too many people treat buying their first firearm like any other new toy, and they spend tons of time researching the gear and accessories but ignore the wider responsibilities and ramifications of gun ownership. Don't make that mistake.

Last edited:
The cheapest way to get an unrestricted LTC that is valid in Brookline is to have residency in a town that isn't Brookline.

-Mike

If you could (have the money to do so) I would fight this in court. Because its a complete disregard for your 2A RIGHT. I would not stand for it, if you have the money hire a good attorney who knows firearms law.

I wouldn't buy into every gun owner horror story you hear anecdotally on the internet. Much of that is urban myth, or the exception rather than the rule.

Your instructor should have covered deadly force statues in your basic safety class, and you should be very familiar with the scope and limitations of your right to defend yourself. If not, I highly recommend you attend a class that covers this, whether it's GOAL's Art of Conceal Carry or one of the MA firearms law lectures that are offered (LenS, Attorney Cohen, etc).

However, I also recommend that EVERY gun owner establish a relationship with a attorney who specializes in firearms and self defense, especially if you plan to conceal carry or keep a gun ready for self defense. Right, wrong or otherwise, you don't want to be thumbing through the yellow pages from a holding cell downtown. Establish a relationship, put a retainer down if necessary, and develop a response plan so that you know exactly what to do if you're forced to use your firearm. That gun on your hip on in your nightstand is a HUGE potential liability, and you need to know when and how you plan to use it, when you don't use it, and what you need to say and do (and NOT say and do) when/if you need to use it.

Too many people treat buying their first firearm like any other new toy, and they spend tons of time researching the gear and accessories but ignore the wider responsibilities and ramifications of gun ownership. Don't make that mistake.
Very Well Said!!

This also look up the robbery at bobs package store in worcester

I know you are bummed you can't carry, on the bright side at least you got a license that is a step in the right direction, personally I would make an appt to see the chief and talk to him or her, good luck ~ [thumbsup]

Even moving out of Brookline at this point isn't going to help unless you find a way to get them to expire your LTC, and then re-apply in the new town.

Following TonyDedo's comments. NRA's Personal Protection in the Home course will teach you a lot of this info as well as avoiding the problem (there is a significant legal element in this course that must be taught by a LEO or attorney knowledgeable of your state's laws on firearms and self-defense - this is an NRA rule). Disclaimer: I teach this course, info in the Training sub-forum and my website (URL below). I doubt that many BFS courses teach self-defense law and it is rather intricate in MA, nothing like most people believe.

Legal trouble (mucho $$) almost always will come with the use of deadly force in MA regardless of how justified it was. Whether you spend years in jail or not depends on knowing what NOT to say and the mood of the prosecution, plus how good your lawyer is in such cases (and it is a different skill set than getting a LTC from a difficult chief)!

Following TonyDedo's comments. NRA's Personal Protection in the Home course will teach you a lot of this info as well as avoiding the problem (there is a significant legal element in this course that must be taught by a LEO or attorney knowledgeable of your state's laws on firearms and self-defense - this is an NRA rule). Disclaimer: I teach this course, info in the Training sub-forum and my website (URL below). I doubt that many BFS courses teach self-defense law and it is rather intricate in MA, nothing like most people believe.

Legal trouble (mucho $$) almost always will come with the use of deadly force in MA regardless of how justified it was. Whether you spend years in jail or not depends on knowing what NOT to say and the mood of the prosecution, plus how good your lawyer is in such cases (and it is a different skill set than getting a LTC from a difficult chief)!

Thanks for the info, I plan to take these classes. Issue is, with all the fees that come with getting the license here (100 for the range test, 150 for the class, 100 for the application) its pretty expensive! I do plan to take these classes once the cost has settled down.

All these requirements make me miss Florida. There, if someone illegally enters your house there are no issues.

Generally good advice, but useless in Brookline as the department considers its gun control and LTC restriction policy a point of pride.

This is extremely true. They said that during the interview, one of the first things they said actually.

All these requirements make me miss Florida. There, if someone illegally enters your house there are no issues.
There is NO middle ground in FL - miss, have it declared an unjustified warning shot, and it's a mandatory 20.

Generally good advice, but useless in Brookline as the department considers its gun control and LTC restriction policy a point of pride.

As we know that attitude or stance on it is just wrong, I consider myself lucky to be in a green town, yet even having to classify towns as red or green just sucks, they should all be green and willing to issue to the right people, I say right people cause let's face it some folks are just nuts and should only have a squirt gun.

It is a classic case of how "mandatory sentencing" combined with a prosecutorial beast like Angela Corey can result in profound injustices.

I don't follow this stuff much, but I do remember lots of crime in the 70's. Manhattan was a shit hole back then. There were cries of "do something" throughout the country, because lots of criminals were getting short sentences from dumbass judges.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

I am in Brookline, I just got confirmation that I would be receiving a LTC-A with a restriction for "target" purposes. Despite showing several receipts that I am forced to handle large sums of money for my small business, I was restricted to just target shooting. My question is, what do you think my chances of appealing this decision are?

My understanding is this restriction limits me to carrying to and from the range, right? No other purpose?

I am really bummed out by this, so any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

Just ccw regardless. **** them.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I am in Brookline, I just got confirmation that I would be receiving a LTC-A with a restriction for "target" purposes. Despite showing several receipts that I am forced to handle large sums of money for my small business, I was restricted to just target shooting. My question is, what do you think my chances of appealing this decision are?

My understanding is this restriction limits me to carrying to and from the range, right? No other purpose?

I am really bummed out by this, so any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

Your chances are "none" in Brookline.

I don't follow this stuff much, but I do remember lots of crime in the 70's. Manhattan was a shit hole back then. There were cries of "do something" throughout the country, because lots of criminals were getting short sentences from dumbass judges.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

Not to argue with you, but many here, myself included, would argue that Manhattan (and the rest of NYC for that matter) is still a shit hole.

Back
Top Bottom