LTC-A restricted to "target"?

Do you guys that suggest these political solutions really believe what you say?Everything is at the lowest possible level in MA as opposed to over reaching state authority because it allows more room for backroom deals, corruption, etc. We will never change a damn thing with LTC's in MA at the political level. The politicians take what MCOPA says as gospel and will never rip chiefs discretion out of their hands, ever. Beyond that, I question whether we would really want any central control over firearms licensing at the state level (like that old 2259 bill wanted to do a few years back) because what the state give, the state take away. Ok we barely pass favorable legislation that transfers control to the state and the state admin reluctantly accepts it. Political mood changes a bit and it gets locked down for everyone, including the 75% of people in the green towns. No thanks. Its MA we are dealing with here.

Our only hope lies in the courtroom, this crap would have to go down hard in a very high court for us to get a favorable system implemented statewide that there is little to no attempts to change for many years.

Stop telling people "this is what you voted for", "run for office and change it" because they did not vote for it, we did not vote for it and we never will be in favor of it. We are not all politicians here, running for office takes time and money and its a fruitless endeavor in corrupt MA. People here work for a living.

Yes I beleive that with the right person in office we can change the law
How many gun owners vote? I can tell you my mother and father never voted I have 9 brothers and sister that have never voted my wifes family never vote

Last edited:
Rather than turn this into another bitch and moan thread about restricted LTCs, how about we stick to giving OP some practical advice about his situation.

Rosefox (I kinda want to call you Rosewood, from Beverly Hills Cop), if you're not going to lawyer up, the first thing you should do is sit down and talk with the licensing officer in Brookline, and get the answers to your questions straight from the horse's mouth. Perhaps you can get better clarification regarding not only the scope of the restrictions on your license, but what it may take to lift them. I've heard claims (haven't confirmed) that some CoPs will place restrictions on the license of first time LTC holders, but then lift the restrictions after a few years, or after you've taken successive training classes. You should see if this is a possibility for you.

You should also follow up on the employment angle - if you truly need to carry for your job, have your employer write a letter requesting they grant you an unrestricted license. This may result in a "CCW for employment only" restriction, but that's better than no CCW at all.

Otherwise, do the best you can to continue to learn and grow as a new gun owner. Take some supplementary training classes, and/or work with an instructor to develop your skills. Sign up for some action shooting competitions and test your abilities. And do everything you can to be in a green town by the time your license expires :)

Cheapest way to fix the problem... (hopefully with a Non MA destination, but at a minimum, some town that isn't Red or Yellow.... )

Last edited by a moderator:
Rather than turn this into another bitch and moan thread about restricted LTCs, how about we stick to giving OP some practical advice about his situation.

Rosefox (I kinda want to call you Rosewood, from Beverly Hills Cop), if you're not going to lawyer up, the first thing you should do is sit down and talk with the licensing officer in Brookline, and get the answers to your questions straight from the horse's mouth. Perhaps you can get better clarification regarding not only the scope of the restrictions on your license, but what it may take to lift them. I've heard claims (haven't confirmed) that some CoPs will place restrictions on the license of first time LTC holders, but then lift the restrictions after a few years, or after you've taken successive training classes. You should see if this is a possibility for you.

You should also follow up on the employment angle - if you truly need to carry for your job, have your employer write a letter requesting they grant you an unrestricted license. This may result in a "CCW for employment only" restriction, but that's better than no CCW at all.

I can save him the time right now.... unless he has political influence, the conversation is going to go something like this....

Rosefox911 (In a 3 piece suit) politely explains his reasoning and line of thought, etc, and his apparent "need" for an LTC.....

Brookline firearms officer: (or the chief, if you got really lucky)

Well, remove the swastika armband from the picture, but otherwise the response is pretty much going to be the same.

I can save him the time right now.... unless he has political influence, the conversation is going to go something like this....

Rosefox911 (In a 3 piece suit) politely explains his reasoning and line of thought, etc, and his apparent "need" for an LTC.....

Brookline firearms officer: (or the chief, if you got really lucky)

Well, remove the swastika armband from the picture, but otherwise the response is pretty much going to be the same.

Mike, WHY remove the armband? I truly think it a more suitable representation of Brookline PD as is!

To the OP: NOTHING in Brookline is going to change until a Fed Court case directed at them forces them to change! Over 60 years ago my late Father had a similar discussion with the chief at that time, he was an Aux PO in Brookline and they sent my Father to respond to burglar alarm calls (BHS) unarmed (this was when there was no such thing as a portable radio either)! My Father told him that as a Veteran of WWII he survived fighting across Europe to Berlin without getting shot and didn't feel like getting shot (without being able to return fire) as a volunteer in Brookline! He resigned after that discussion.

So there have been a number of chiefs over those 60+ years but one thing has stayed the same, their anti-Constitution, anti-gun behavior!

I would take the approach of a face to face meeting.....and repeat it every 6 months until they got sick of seeing me.

And, I would also strongly consider getting a lawyer as well.

You have to fight this as hard as you can.

Len is correct, as usual.
I have lived in Brookline for 30 years.
I've seen many who have tried and failed.
Unless one has a solid documented reason that the Chief believes is up to his lofty standards, restrictions will not be removed in Brookline.
In Brookline we deal strictly with the licensing officer. He communicates with the Chief and returns the decision to the applicant.

Perhaps you can get better clarification regarding not only the scope of the restrictions on your license, but what it may take to lift them. I've heard claims (haven't confirmed) that some CoPs will place restrictions on the license of first time LTC holders, but then lift the restrictions after a few years, or after you've taken successive training classes. You should see if this is a possibility for you.

This is not a possibility in Brookline. Only privilege, power, connections or high social status will get you into the 1/3 (yes, 1/3) or Brookline LTC applicants who get the "restrictions: none" flavor.

Last edited:
Len is correct, as usual.
I have lived in Brookline for 30 years.
I've seen many who have tried and failed.
Unless one has a solid documented reason that the Chief believes is up to his lofty standards, restrictions will not be removed in Brookline.
In Brookline we deal strictly with the licensing officer. He communicates with the Chief and returns the decision to the applicant.

This is bullsh#t he is paid by your taxes so he works for you send email ,letters asking to meet with him if no asnwer call new papers ,go on there facebook page and ask to meet with him call the mayor ect ect ect

Last edited:
Harvey Paul is correct. I worked directly with the licensing officer, who, might I had, was EXTREMELY helpful. You have 0 communication with the Chief. I simply got a letter saying I did not show a need to have an unrestricted LTC for self-defense, despite providing 50+ cash withdrawal receipts, bank deposit slips and death threats I mentioned earlier in this thread.

I have accepted the LTC-A with the target limitation, I have also requested a formal statement specifically defining this requirement. I was informed I should be receiving said document this week. My fiancee is getting her license, she is a resident of a different city where she will have no problem obtaining an unrestricted LTC-A. I will just, embarrassingly, have to rely on her to protect me I suppose.

PS: Does anyone know what the actual process for obtaining the license is? I was told it would require 2~3 weeks, isn't it just printing it out?

Last edited:
Harvey Paul is correct. I worked directly with the licensing officer, who, might I had, was EXTREMELY helpful. You have 0 communication with the Chief. I simply got a letter saying I did not show a need to have an unrestricted LTC for self-defense, despite providing 50+ cash withdrawal receipts, bank deposit slips and death threats I mentioned earlier in this thread. I have accepted the LTC-A with the target limitation, I have also requested a formal statement specifically defining this requirement. I was informed I should be receiving said document this week. My fiancee is getting her license, she is a resident of a different city where she will have no problem obtaining an unrestricted LTC-A. I will just, embarrassingly, have to rely on her to protect me I suppose. PS: Does anyone know what the actual process for obtaining the license is? I was told it would require 2~3 weeks, isn't it just printing it out?

They submit the completed app to the state that runs background checks.
Once that's done, the state prints out your card and mails it back to your pd
The pd sits on it for a week or twenty, and either mails it to you or tells you to come pick it up.
You go purchase your first firearm
You go to walmart in nh so you can open carry without getting hassled.

You will also need to qualify at the Moon Island police range.

In Brookline, unlike Boston, the range test can be administered by a private instructor. I believe that is the route the OP chose, so at this point it's probably just the background check that is the hold up.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I thought that months was the norm...... I would have loved it to only take two months, then again I didn't end up with a restricted one the extra 3 or 4 months was worth it.

This is bullsh#t he is paid by your taxes so he works for you send email ,letters asking to meet with him if no asnwer call new papers ,go on there facebook page and ask to meet with him call the mayor ect ect ect

The is Brookline - the Mayor/Selectmen/whatever will ask chiefy "whazzup?" The chief will explain it's just a gun nut who wants to thug around the streets of Brookline armed and that he has handled it. The Mayor/Selectmen/whatever will respond with "well done, carry on".

I simply got a letter saying I did not show a need to have an unrestricted LTC for self-defense, despite providing 50+ cash withdrawal receipts, bank deposit slips and death threats I mentioned earlier in this thread.
Be VERY careful 6 years from now.

The Brookline PD may view this letter as a "denial" that must be disclosed on your renewal, and deny said renewal if you answer "no" to the "have you ever been denied" question. Remember, the game in Brookline is not "does this applicant post a threat to public safety" but rather "look for a hook on which to hang a denial".

My fiancee is getting her license, she is a resident of a different city where she will have no problem obtaining an unrestricted LTC-A. I will just, embarrassingly, have to rely on her to protect me I suppose.
Too bad you didn't move in with her for a bit.

Last edited:
Be VERY careful 6 years from now.

The Brookline PD may view this letter as a "denial" that must be disclosed on your renewal, and deny said renewal if you answer "no" to the "have you ever been denied" question. Remember, the game in Brookline is not "does this applicant post a threat to public safety" but rather "look for a hook on which to hang a denial".
So what would you suggestion be? To be clear with the licensing officer and tell them I was issued a restricted LTC-A?

So what would you suggestion be? To be clear with the licensing officer and tell them I was issued a restricted LTC-A?

Disclose that you asked for unrestricted and were issue restricted. Brookline may consider the failure to disclose this a lack of truthfulness on the "have you ever been denied" question. You need to do this in writing on the application so they cannot play "gotcha!".

One cannot be too careful about not leaving "hooks" when dealing with that department on firearms licensing. Brookline is not only one of the most aggressive departments when it comes to restricting LTCs, but is also one of the most eager to issue outright denials.

Disclose that you asked for unrestricted and were issue restricted. Brookline may consider the failure to disclose this a lack of truthfulness on the "have you ever been denied" question. You need to do this in writing on the application so they cannot play "gotcha!".

One cannot be too careful about not leaving "hooks" when dealing with that department on firearms licensing. Brookline is not only one of the most aggressive departments when it comes to restricting LTCs, but is also one of the most eager to issue outright denials.
Jesus Christ, what a nightmare. Thanks for your advice, I'll be sure to remember it when the time comes to renew.

What? that question is if you was denied a lic( NOT RESTRICTED) a restricted lic is still a lic

That won't help me much now! xP

Well, it could but its effectively 3 times the pain in the ass after you've had a license issued.

For any folks in red towns seeking renewals or a new app..... THINK ABOUT YOUR OPTIONS before you commit. It might be cheaper to avoid a crippled license up front than it is to get an attorney to get a red town to dump your tainted license later when you've wallhacked them by moving.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom