• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC-A restricted to "target"?

If you look at the letter on the Newton PD website they specifically say that possession is allowed "Includes travel to and from activity location." what it doesn't say is if that means you can concealed carry during travel or simply posses a locked up firearm in your car.

http://www.newtonpolice.com/NEW_FORMS/Firearms-Eligibility.pdf

reading that link it would seem that if you leave the gun in your car (properly locked up and no ammo) and drove from home to work (for instance) you would be in violation of that restriction. sounds pretty freaking ridiculous to me. and I would also guess that it would not be interpreted to mean conceal carry is allowed when heading to the range.

reading that link it would seem that if you leave the gun in your car (properly locked up and no ammo) and drove from home to work (for instance) you would be in violation of that restriction. sounds pretty freaking ridiculous to me. and I would also guess that it would not be interpreted to mean conceal carry is allowed when heading to the range.

Yes. And yes, it is pretty freaking ridiculous. When the restrictions on my first LTC were explained by the licensing officer at Watertown PD, he explained it this way (I paraphrase, but the example is exactly what I was told).

You can only take your gun out of your house only when you're going to and from the range. It must be unloaded and locked in the trunk at all times. You can make minor stops on the way, but no major stops. For instance, you can stop at Tedeschi's and buy a gallon of milk on your way home from the range, but you can't stop at Wild Willy's and sit down and have a burger. If you stop for more than about 15 minutes, you're in violation of your license restrictions and we'll take it away from you.

He would not give this to me in writing, in spite of my requests. He just said, "you're responsible for remembering what I tell you." I asked him about other gun related trips, like taking my gun to the gunsmith. He asked me if I was being a smart ass, and then told me to shut the **** up.

Protect and serve, indeed.

Last edited:
Disclose that you asked for unrestricted and were issue restricted. Brookline may consider the failure to disclose this a lack of truthfulness on the "have you ever been denied" question. You need to do this in writing on the application so they cannot play "gotcha!".
What? that question is if you was denied a lic( NOT RESTRICTED) a restricted lic is still a lic
Agreed, but the Brookline licensing officer is judge and jury who will decide if you have to retain legal counsel to make this point in court.

For anyone wondering, the range restriction in Brookline restricts me to only practice shooting at an approved range. I am not allowed to conceal carry on my way to or back from the range. I'm posting this simply so anyone searching, like I was before, knows the restriction ahead of time. In effect, the 400+ dollars you wil spend getting your LTC-A is going to be the equivalent of renting a gun at a range. Only difference is, you own the gun.

We can speculate all we want, I'd like to know what Brookline PD considers an "approved range."

I'd be interested in knowing too, but in reality, any range he shoots at will not be in Brookline, so I don't think he'll be hassled. It's a stupid and unnecessary rule that's totally unenforceable.

We can speculate all we want, I'd like to know what Brookline PD considers an "approved range."

Knowing Brookline it's probably one that they APPROVE OF! [rolleyes] Only partially kidding, I expect that any organized gun club would be OK.

You have to (must) take this to court. Things like this cannot stand, It's a RIGHT not a privilege !

You keep spouting this. MA courts have ruled that you have NO RIGHTS to possess any guns, period! At least a few people have sued Brookline and lost in court, it is a fruitless effort.

Comm2A is taking small bites of the elephant to change this but it won't happen quickly.

And few have $10-20K to throw away on a case that they stand no chance of winning. If you feel so strongly that others should spend that money to lose, I suggest that you consider donating that amount of money to them to fund it!

Knowing Brookline it's probably one that they APPROVE OF! [rolleyes] Only partially kidding, I expect that any organized gun club would be OK.

You keep spouting this. MA courts have ruled that you have NO RIGHTS to possess any guns, period! At least a few people have sued Brookline and lost in court, it is a fruitless effort.

Comm2A is taking small bites of the elephant to change this but it won't happen quickly.

And few have $10-20K to throw away on a case that they stand no chance of winning. If you feel so strongly that others should spend that money to lose, I suggest that you consider donating that amount of money to them to fund it!

Fight to change the laws look as I said before people need to get out and standup we all talk on here but how many standup for there rights as you can see some people in ny,ct have its time that the people of mass do the same

All members and guests of the Boston Gun Club must sign in and out.
The club has been called by police departments to verify that individuals actually were there when they said they were.

Fight to change the laws look as I said before people need to get out and standup we all talk on here but how many standup for there rights as you can see some people in ny,ct have its time that the people of mass do the same

You lead!!

It's easy to say this from behind a keyboard.

Some of us take different routes to the same end result. Some of us understand what works and what doesn't in MA. And some of us have tried what you and others suggest but with zero results, so have realized that other tactics are necessary instead of continuing to piss in the wind!

Supporting Comm2A with a MONTHLY DONATION will go further to accomplishing this than suing in MA courts or rallying at the State House on a Saturday morning. Not to mention actually speaking with your State Rep directly (not an aide), etc.

- - - Updated - - -

The club has been called by police departments to verify that individuals actually were there when they said they were.

WOW!!

I guess I shouldn't be surprised! [sad]

You lead!!

It's easy to say this from behind a keyboard.

Some of us take different routes to the same end result. Some of us understand what works and what doesn't in MA. And some of us have tried what you and others suggest but with zero results, so have realized that other tactics are necessary instead of continuing to piss in the wind!

Supporting Comm2A with a MONTHLY DONATION will go further to accomplishing this than suing in MA courts or rallying at the State House on a Saturday morning. Not to mention actually speaking with your State Rep directly (not an aide), etc.

- - - Updated - - -

WOW!!

I guess I shouldn't be surprised! [sad]

I did go back 5 years in worcester but can you please tell us what you have and please please not comm2a

When do you want to rally at the state house tomorrow, friday, monday, name the day and time I will be there

I'm not sure why the police would even ask you about your attendance at a range, unless it was to verify some made up "training" requirement, or to check your alibi.[wink]

I did go back 5 years in worcester but can you please tell us what you have and please please not comm2a

OK, so you don't like Comm2A!

My current chief is one of the most difficult in the state. I've discussed this with him and his Lt. (LO), admittedly to no avail. For >20 years I took a day off from work each year to attend AND SPEAK at the anti-gun bill hearings at the State House (I now feel it is a waste of time), I've testified at numerous CMR Hearings and submitted written testimony at each of them (killing one onerous CMR in particular according to Jason Guida). I've had my prior State Senator in my home discussing gun law issues . . . even took him to the range once, just the two of us, no pictures, no publicity. I testified at Naughton/Timilty's "listening tour" and provided written testimony (copied my State Sen & Rep as well), I testified (and provided written testimony) at the DCR CMR Hearings. Back in 1998-9 I attended 2 of the 3 GOAL rallies (Carver-we succeeded in getting rid of that chief and State House) meeting with my State Sen and Rep after the State House one (we had 5K people there on a weekday, no effect). Served as Legislative Chairman and GOAL Rep for 3 gun clubs for a total of ~18 years. I recently had a phone conversation (on a Sunday) with my State Rep about the current gun law bills and some other related issues. I attended a "in district" speak with your State Sen session, had a long talk with an aide as the Sen was a no-show. I attended a rally in Quincy to get rid of the prior police chief. I've campaigned for 3 pro-gun AG candidates . . . you know how that went! I've also campaigned for a pro-gun State Sen who did win twice.

So I think that I have some experience and informed opinions of what works in MA as well as what is ineffective IMNSHO.

You may disagree and I have no idea of your experience (nor do I care). Feel free to carry on.

I'm not sure why the police would even ask you about your attendance at a range, unless it was to verify some made up "training" requirement, or to check your alibi.[wink]

It's Brookline! They even held an overdue Brookline Public Library book against an applicant (IIRC)!

Apparently any major organized club will work.

I forgot to mention this before but... I am also required to send the Brookline Police Department yearly reports regarding my club membership. Failure to do so would result in my license being revoked. So I guess I am on parole now, having to check in with the PD every so often.

These restrictions are honestly insulting. They treat the people that pay their salaries like degenerates who are out to do harm. When in reality, most are just trying to protect themselves and what they own. Sorry I live in the real world while you live in your liberal paradise where everyone should work to pay for those that refuse
to do so. I work hard for what I have, no one should be able to take it from me.

If it were anywhere else, I wouldn't bother with this license, I would just say **** it and not get any firearm at all. But I know just how butthurt these liberals get when you do buy one. Rumor has it, every time you buy a gun, a liberal sheds a tear. Therefore, I plan to buy them liberally. :)

Wow, that is mind blowingly ridiculous. But think of it this way - you have a gun now, and should you ever need it, you're covered. That's 9/10ths of the battle. Spend the next few years learning to shoot it well, and you'll be alright.

I'd live in a hovel before a free home in Brookline for many more reasons than just 2A. That town & its liberal dicklicks can suck a fat one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I spent a considerable amount of time a couple nights ago trying to convince a couple friends that suitability and restrictions really do stand and that it isn't just a matter of throwing money at the problem. They were 100% convinced that if you do not have a federal disqualifier that the chief can't deny your right to carry. These are two guys who have had LTC-A's for YEARS. Our own side doesn't even know how badly we are being screwed.

I have a couple of wealthy friends in Brookline, $2M homes, that type of friend. They have LTC's, own businesses that generate $300M/year....that's $300milllion!
They have target restricted LTC's, they're members of Braintree R&G and have to qualify at every renewal.

They chose to live there

I spent a considerable amount of time a couple nights ago trying to convince a couple friends that suitability and restrictions really do stand and that it isn't just a matter of throwing money at the problem. They were 100% convinced that if you do not have a federal disqualifier that the chief can't deny your right to carry. These are two guys who have had LTC-A's for YEARS. Our own side doesn't even know how badly we are being screwed.

I am amazed that most gun owners I talk to also have no clue as to what the bonded warehouse system is.

I have a couple of wealthy friends in Brookline, $2M homes, that type of friend. They have LTC's, own businesses that generate $300M/year....that's $300milllion!
They have target restricted LTC's, they're members of Braintree R&G and have to qualify at every renewal.

They chose to live there

So boycott all the stores put presure on the mayor to do something talk to your friends and family have them pass the word around

Back
Top Bottom