Looking for a Suunto watch, Navy SEAL style

Have the Suunto Core as well. Very comfortable. Wouldn't say it's super rugged but then again it's not like I've beaten the hell out of it to find out. Overall a good mid tier watch (can pick one up for about $225). I won't spend much more than that on a watch anymore. Used to buy nice ones but I was so afraid of destroying it that'd I would never wear it. Last nice one I had I sold and bought a gun with the money ha.

Last edited:
Ck out Flor and son jewlers , 641 Dartmouth st . so Dartmouth ma. full stocking Suunto dealer and gives NES member discounts .

$28 @ walmart, has taken a good beating and still looks like new.

20150322_112703_zpsrpz5ryo7.jpg

Last edited:
I am a huge watch nut and probably have as many nice watches as I do guns. I have to say that some of the most expensive automatics that I have are actually the worst when it comes to reliability and keeping time accurately! The very best all around watch I own was not the cheapest, but certainly not even in the same realm as most automatics price-wise. It is actually an Oceanus watch, which is a high end Casio similar to Lexus being a higher end Toyota. It is made from titanium so it's light, waterproof to 300m, atomic, solar, sapphire crystal, and GMT so it can accurately read time wherever I travel in the world. Funny thing is that I didn't even pick it out, my wife ordered it from a SkyMall magazine on one of our trips as an anniversary present. I think it was around $750-$800 or so, but I've had it for about 10 years now. It was extremely cutting edge technology when she bought it, and even now it's hard to match the features for much less than a grand. My every day watch is an all ceramic Technomarine divers watch with a carbon fiber face. It is super comfortable because the ceramic absorbs body temperature better than any metal bracelet watch I own. Hard to explain, but it just feels great to wear and it looks all black and taciticool too.[wink]

So I went back and forth on what to purchase for hiking and camping and outdoorsy shit I do with the scouts. Wanted a Suunto Core, but don't like the reviews on battery life. So I got myself a Casio Protrek 3000. I like it.

d14cb5bf2bc3c85e0f70c094d53ef2a2.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a Suunto Ambit2 I use for hiking. I'm still learning how to use all the features. I like it. The GPS works well, the altimeter is pretty accurate (probably would be more accurate if I set it off a known altitude). I haven't used it for anything else though.

Just an FYI. The Core all black has terrible contrast. Its much harder to see in low light than the average core. I'm not an operator. I'm a dad, gun nut, and private pilot (which is why I bought my first Suunto).

But if I was an operator, I'd want to be able to see my watch at dusk without having to key the light. Seriously. Skip the all black and go for the regular Core. The difference is . . . night and day. ;- )

I'll second this about the Core all black. I have one, and sort of regret the purchase. It's tough to see the details of the display, the stupid button that switches between the time and the battery-sucking compass and barometer functions is in the worst possible spot so that it gets hit when you bend your hand back, and the battery life in general is a little disappointing. I greatly prefer my G-Shock Mudman for all but the most casual of occasions. Solar powered, automatically sets itself off the atomic clock (or something), and is basically indestructible. I've had one that I've been beating to hell for years and it doesn't show a sign of anything. I bought another one used online as a backup because at $40 the price was right but I'm wondering if I'll ever actually need it.

Also, when I went to EMS the kid at the counter commented on the Suunto and announced that he had the same one. He shows his wrist and it's the Core all black, only the paint is all worn off the edge of the bezel and the thing looks like shit. I asked him how he liked it and how long he had it for. He loved it, and had only had it about a year.

Last edited:
I picked up this Rangeman LNIB last week for short money. It's hard to beat the atomic sync and solar charging.

suunto core for almost a year now, its a good watch

For an actual dive watch I use an Aeris F10. Its more of a computer lol. Great for free diving, its records depths, bottom time, surface time, and everything else you could possibly want to know. Not sure if its a good application for scuba but if I forget this thing on a spearfishing trip where I planned to dive in excess of 50' for any period of time my day is ruined.

Last edited:
Dvor.com has them from time to time. Cheapest I've seen. Picked up my All-Black Core from them
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427635959.087980.jpg
Paid sub 180.00 for it, and it's literally traveled the world with me on both military and civilians excursions.

Family member on a team wears G-Shocks, but I have met his buds who wore a mix of G's and Suuntos. Bought my kid a G-Shock a few years ago and it takes a beating and still works great for under $100. I try to avoid that Tommy Tactical look since I'm obviously not that guy. I wear a Rolex. GMT Master. Its probably the last watch I will buy. It works with a suit or with anything casual. Happy I bought it when I had a great year and prices were about 50% of what they are today.

Hmm, I have a Suunto and it's nowhere near as durable as my ghocks. They are pretty huge though and my X-Lander's digits were great for these old eyes.

Dvor.com has them from time to time. Cheapest I've seen. Picked up my All-Black Core from them
View attachment 132707
Paid sub 180.00 for it, and it's literally traveled the world with me on both military and civilians excursions.

I was able to get my Core all black for $189 at REI in Harvard Square. Like I said above, skip the all black. The core without the all black can be had on ebay for about $200 from reputable sources. (guys with 1000+ positive feedbacks)

Save some money and get a superior product, skip the all black.

Don

Going to try this when I get home:

*NOTE* In order to change the contrast on your Core you will need to put it in sleep mode and this will erase all logs!

1. Press and hold the upper left, lower left, upper right and lower right buttons until 'SUUNTO' appears on the display.
2. When the display is blank press the upper left button once - 'SUUNTO' will appear on the screen
3. While 'SUUNTO' is still displayed press and hold the upper left button
4. Highlight the 'contrast' option then press the middle right button.
5. Change the contrast using the upper right and lower right buttons
6. Press the lower left then upper left buttons to exit

I think the real operators wear these on the bottom of their wrist. Way easier to see when you have the Scar 17 in the high ready.

I didn't know about these but they look nice. I'm going to try the Apple watch first. The opposite of an operator watch lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ok soooooooooooooo i have very minimal experience with a compass (i realize I need to fix this) but everything just seems backwards to me on my Suunto Core.
I'm attaching a picture for reference, so I can explain better.
coredisplay_3.jpg

The reading says "North East" buuuuuuut the 2 white lines that move to tell you what direction say North West.
At first I thought I calibrated mine backwards, but then I realized I just don't know how to read a compass.
Sooooooooooooo it IS my lack of understanding right?

I just got a Core all black from Amazon (through the Comm2a link) yesterday. I've been lugging my monstrous Ecodrive around for 3 years and I realize now how heavy it is. This seems like a good watch, time will tell. I noticed they have face protectors for them like a cell phone; does anyone run them? It seems to me that if I have to worry about it scratching that much, it's not a very rugged watch.

Back
Top Bottom