Looking for a Suunto watch, Navy SEAL style

I also have an Omega Seamaster... and a couple of Tags. Let me know when/where you want to test out that durability claim of your Omega auto vs. my Gshock!! Even if i lose, (which I wont), I will buy another for $80, and you will be $3k in the hole! Again, again, again- I am not trying to dispute the fact that Breitling/Omega are nice watches...as i aforementioned, I have an Omega that i wear out to dinner occasionally. But, when I am down range, the Gshock is it....

I am getting frustrated as to why we are comparing Breitling/Omega with Suunto/Gshock!- er, frustrated isnt the right word..annoyed?

It's like comparing a high end 1911 to a Glock. Apples and oranges are both fruits, but totally different ones. I've got an older Omega Seamaster and a Constellation (that needs to go out for an overhaul...) and a Longine Admiral. I don't wear those to work. I don't even wear the nicer of the two Swiss Armies I have to work. I have a low end G-Shock that tends to catch on my sleeve so I usually wear a stainless Invicta Pro Diver chronograph to work. It's big and chunky and stainless with a carbon face, but fits under my shirt cuff.

I have a few nice (expensive, and by expensive I mean they cost as much or a little more than a quality pistol or rifle) watches. My favorite is the Omega Seamaster Professional. It is more durable than any G-Shock, requires no batteries, and looks right when I'm wearing a suit or work clothes. That being said, I really like the G-Shock line and own several. I did buy a Suunto a few years ago but returned it because it felt cheap, was difficult to read, and was not comfortable to wear.

For a durable do-anything watch, at a more reasonable cost try this: http://www.gshock.com/watches/Aviation/GWA1000-1A

For a durable mechanical watch, also reasonably priced, try this: http://countycomm.com/midpilot2013.html

Chris

More durable than a g-shock, funny guy you!

My Emergency was used daily for over 2 years, from mountain biking to diving and a bunch of stuff in between and performed great.

My Speedmaster Professional moon watch took a beating too and just kept running.

Personally not a fan of suunto watches, there's always something wrong with them. If you want "tactical" the one to get now is the Garmin Tactix" you need to recharge it however.

More durable than a g-shock, funny guy you!

My Emergency was used daily for over 2 years, from mountain biking to diving and a bunch of stuff in between and performed great.

My Speedmaster Professional moon watch took a beating too and just kept running.

Personally not a fan of suunto watches, there's always something wrong with them. If you want "tactical" the one to get now is the Garmin Tactix" you need to recharge it however.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/10/garmin-tactix-review.html

I always wanted the Snake Pliskin watch from Escape from NY.

That is pretty close.

I'm bailing on this thread... the Apple watch is going to come out some time this year...

Until then I'll keep wearing the G-Shock. I need a new battery though. Just ordered one for $1.40 shipped on Amazon Prime.

Last edited:
every ****ing watch I got is like 1min late after two weeks running. WTF is up with these ****ing American watches, do they run on kerosene?
I have a Tiimex Ironman 100 lap memory, $40 or $50. It is accurate to 4-6 seconds per month. Much bigger digits than the GShock. Has two time zones, 5 alarms and count down timer.

http://www.timex.com/watches/timex-ironman-100-lap-t5e2319j
T5E231_2.jpg

I also have an Omega Seamaster... and a couple of Tags. Let me know when/where you want to test out that durability claim of your Omega auto vs. my Gshock!! Even if i lose, (which I wont), I will buy another for $80, and you will be $3k in the hole! Again, again, again- I am not trying to dispute the fact that Breitling/Omega are nice watches...as i aforementioned, I have an Omega that i wear out to dinner occasionally. But, when I am down range, the Gshock is it....

I am getting frustrated as to why we are comparing Breitling/Omega with Suunto/Gshock!- er, frustrated isnt the right word..annoyed?

I wear this all the time, and I'd put it up against a G-Shock any day for durability. The best part is that it has COSC certified thermally compensated SuperQuartz movement. It is +1 second when I change it twice each year for DST.

The battery also lasts 7 years. Admittedly, getting the battery changed is a pain in the ass.

This guy did a pretty decent review of the watch.

http://www.thedivewatchconnection.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11968

You need to get a Jap watch, I am a fan of Casio, which are always right on the money for years at a tims. More accurate than Godzilla's homing ability for Tokyo.

Anyone else think it is weird that the OP has only ever posted two posts asking about finding Suunto watches, which you could find in 60 seconds on the internet?

every ****ing watch I got is like 1min late after two weeks running. WTF is up with these ****ing American watches, do they run on kerosene?

It is tough to beet a Jap designed watch made in China for pure bang for the buck usefullness.

My $16 (shipped) Casio runs as well as anything else I own, and certainly better than any of my mechanical watches like my Navitimer.

Ironically, the argument is identical to the old Glock v 1911 argument. One is a new design that achieves excellent performance without expensive hand fitting. The other represents "old world" craftsmanship in every respect.

As a tool, the Casio/Glock is almost universally understood to be superior by all quantitative measures.

As a posession, the Britling/Les Baer 1911 is a joy to use, to hell with those philistines who praise modern tech.

Don

I wear this all the time, and I'd put it up against a G-Shock any day for durability. The best part is that it has COSC certified thermally compensated SuperQuartz movement. It is +1 second when I change it twice each year for DST.

The battery also lasts 7 years. Admittedly, getting the battery changed is a pain in the ass.

This guy did a pretty decent review of the watch.

http://www.thedivewatchconnection.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11968

Ok, nice! I was trying to think of a good durability test and then got bored.... I think a time-conscious alternative would be to each throw our watches up into the air as high as possible, and let them land on the tarmac. My gshock is ready to go...lets do this!!!

Last edited:
Anyone else think it is weird that the OP has only ever posted two posts asking about finding Suunto watches, which you could find in 60 seconds on the internet?

haha i try not to think about these things..but yea, literally in the time it took for him to post, he couldve been knee-deep in SUUNTO via the most fundamental google search...hmm oh well!

Ok, nice! I was trying to think of a good durability test and then got bored.... I think a time-conscious alternative would be to each throw our watches up into the air as high as possible, and let them land on the tarmac. My gshock is ready to go...lets do this!!!

That's perfect, for all those times you fall from 50 feet.....why don't we just head out to Stellwagen and drop our watches overboard on 900 feet of fishing line and see what happens....

Good lord! class act... "I can get this, but you can't have it!"... How does one "establish" oneself?

Rack up more than 30 posts.
Buy some stuff from other members.
Sell some stuff to other members.
MEET some other members.
Become a supporter of the site ( it's only twenty buck for Christ sakes.

I'm not looking do do anything to help some Massachusetts justice department employee, and most if not ALL " established " members of this place share that same sentiment.
And since being a member of 3point5 I agree to buy for personal use and not to re-sell for a profit this would be a FAVOR.

- - - Updated - - -

So how cheap would a core be? Am I established enuff? ;)

I just let wacky Doug know about that same model, send me a PM

That's perfect, for all those times you fall from 50 feet.....why don't we just head out to Stellwagen and drop our watches overboard on 900 feet of fishing line and see what happens....

haha i said i was looking for "time-conscious" tests. Ok, so lets just drop it onto tarmac then...like "whoops, i dropped my watch." Or, "accidently" hit the watch on a bulkhead while wearing it. I wont bat an eye, but im sure you will be checking the Sinn for scratches/cracked crystal...right?

We are spinning in circles with your Stellwagen Bank analogy...The thread was to find a SEAL-esque watch. SEALS do not dive 150 fathoms...I would venture to say you do not either. Day to day durability, the gshock is going to win and if it did somehow sh*t the bed, I would get another one without having to take out a second mortgage....

MEET some other members.

I'm not looking do do anything to help some Massachusetts justice department employee, and most if not ALL " established " members of this place share that same sentiment.
And since being a member of 3point5 I agree to buy for personal use and not to re-sell for a profit this would be a FAVOR.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, ok I get it. Im glad you brought up the fact that by joining sites like 3point5 or promotive, you agree to buy for personal use. I was just confused why you would even offer such a thing to some stranger who you deemed to be unworthy...I use promotive (LEO) and really enjoy the discounts that I get and would hate to see someone like you ruin that for everyone because they are posting/offering said deal on a forum to someone that they dont even know and who couldnt even figure out how to do a search to look up how much Suuntos are/where they can purchase them.

two different watches for different purposes.

In 2000 I was freshly divorced and a newly minted private pilot. I got myself a Navitimer. I wouldn't wear the Breitling places I wear my Suunto or cheap Seiko or even cheaper Casio. The Casio is the only one i consider to be disposable. I'll use that for painting, for example. $16 shipped is tough to beat. Its not half bad looking but its a little small.

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-Mens-MRW200H-1BCT/dp/B00H07T7P0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Yep that's the one

I have beat the crap out of a Submariner. Including a motorcycle accident where it still ticked despite being ground down on the road. On my wrist still ticking. (have pics of it post crash). Been wearing it almost daily for 13-14 years.

But I have a Sekio Black Monster that I love. Great watch for the price, and mechanical as well.

I have beat the crap out of a Submariner. Including a motorcycle accident where it still ticked despite being ground down on the road. On my wrist still ticking. (have pics of it post crash). Been wearing it almost daily for 13-14 years.

But I have a Sekio Black Monster that I love. Great watch for the price, and mechanical as well.

The seiko monsters are some of the best price for performance watches out there IMHO

The seiko monsters are some of the best price for performance watches out there IMHO

Wouldn't agree with that statement. The watch is a throw away because of it's inexpensive movement. Mechanical watches can be rugged as a gshock. Here is a favorite of Vietnam soldiers http://scubawatch.org/seiko6105.html known for it's ruggedness (inexpensive in it's day) and also a Martin Sheen wearer in the movie Apocalypse Now. How many remember "it takes a lickin and keeps on tickin" Timex mechanical watches. Also Wyler made famous it's anti shock movement by dropping one off the Eiffel Tower and having it still work!!!bring on the G shock for that test.

Rolex submariners are very robust as well given the movement is made with thicker metals although a bit out of the price league with a cheap quartz watch.

Wouldn't agree with that statement. The watch is a throw away because of it's inexpensive movement. Mechanical watches can be rugged as a gshock. Here is a favorite of Vietnam soldiers http://scubawatch.org/seiko6105.html known for it's ruggedness (inexpensive in it's day) and also a Martin Sheen wearer in the movie Apocalypse Now. How many remember "it takes a lickin and keeps on tickin" Timex mechanical watches. Also Wyler made famous it's anti shock movement by dropping one off the Eiffel Tower and having it still work!!!bring on the G shock for that test.

Rolex submariners are very robust as well given the movement is made with thicker metals although a bit out of the price league with a cheap quartz watch.

It is a throw away to some extent. I only paid $160 for mine 6 or so years ago. It's still going.

i like the one you linked to.

Damn you. Now I'm trolling ebay looking for seiko 6105s.

For the heck of it this AM I took a shot of both the Sub and Monster. As you can see the Monster is bigger than the Sub. As for throw away, I've had the monster for 7 years (and the sub for 14-15 years), granted I don't wear it much (but decided after the Pic to wear it today).

I did want a Suunto watch, but i have seen some negative reviews. I think mostly due to the strap and comfort.

photo.jpg

MEET some other members.

- - - Updated - - -

Trying to send you a pm. Would love to know if you would price a core for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Like my Suunto Core a lot. I have the "all black military" version. If I could I would swap it for another black one but with the light face/dark digits. Just harder to read the one I have now in lower light conditions. Very comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom