Looking for a Suunto watch, Navy SEAL style

Hey guys,

Over my years in the military I've met quite a few Navy SEALS and noticed a lot of them wearing these great Suunto watches. They all said they're nearly indestructible and great whether diving or climbing. I'm wondering if anyone knows a dealer in the Northeast for these type of watches or even some that are for sale. Any information would be great.

Thanks

I got my Suunto at REI in Harvard Square. I found an online coupon for $50 off a $200 purchase. As chance would have it, the watch was also on sale, so I bought some KTape and a Kleen Canteen bottle to get over $200. Its a great watch.

Flor and Son Jewelers in So. Dartmouth, carries the full Suunto line of watches including the Ambit 2 and the Core all black military which is popular with Spec-Op's. They also give military and police discounts.

Just an FYI. The Core all black has terrible contrast. Its much harder to see in low light than the average core. I'm not an operator. I'm a dad, gun nut, and private pilot (which is why I bought my first Suunto).

But if I was an operator, I'd want to be able to see my watch at dusk without having to key the light. Seriously. Skip the all black and go for the regular Core. The difference is . . . night and day. ;- )

330846d1287599497-suunto-core-alu-light-vs-black-orange-suunto-core-alu-light-blck-orange-1.jpg

Don

p.s. In all seriousness, a good friend of mine was a seal in the 90s. (Confirmed, he invited me out to meet one of his buddies who is still in as an instructor when the guy was in Jamestown, RI taking a leadership seminar at the base). One of the topics of conversation was the Luminox marketing machine. He was wearing a Casio G-Shock.

The funny thing was, I met him at work. I was a PM, he was a technical guy.

Last edited:
I have the Vector, kinda loud (bright orange highlights), but so far it's a year old and still kicking. I normally go through 2-3 timex's a year, or I did down south anyway.

Bonus feature, made in Finland, not china.

Bonus feature, made in Finland, not china.

You might want to check that. My most recent Suunto was made in China. I was very disappointed.

From the Suunto web site. My google skills are good tonight:

The Core, Lumi, t1c, t3d, t4d, M-Series and Quest are designed in Finland and assembled in China.

All other Suunto watches are designed and made in Finland.

every ****ing watch I got is like 1min late after two weeks running. WTF is up with these ****ing American watches, do they run on kerosene?

Any of the Suunto watches with the reverse display like that have terrible contrast. You are better off with the regular white faced ones. Unless you care more about appearance than function. Thats my only point.

I got my Suunto (core all black)at Flor and Son in South Dartmouth as well. I work all hours, never had a problem with it. There was many different types there and at the shop he said he could order pretty much anything you could point out from any of their lines. Remember to shop local and support your small businesses.

Wait... He was a Hispanic seal?

Oh yeah found the pic...

Navy-Seal-282x300.jpg

No. He's Colombian. And he was raised upper middle class or better. Lets put it this way. He was a tennis star in HS.

But still, he wouldn't want you to forget that that doesn't make him any less Hispanic.

No. He's Colombian. And he was raised upper middle class or better. Lets put it this way. He was a tennis star in HS.

But still, he wouldn't want you to forget that that doesn't make him any less Hispanic.

...I thnk I read once he was a SEAL as well.

Shop for it at EMS or REI. If you do, become a member with either. This way, you can return or exchange it with no questions asked. Reason being -

I've had a Core for about 3 years. But, I'm on my third replacement. The first two went glitchy, and then "lights out" on me after 6-9 months. They're highly regarded watches in military and adventure sport culture, so I'm still chalking it up to a bad luck.

Casio Pro-Trek and G-Shock are really nice too, for less money.

On a totally related note - Women always compliment me on the Core (Military/Black). It's a pretty sexy time piece.

Ems and REI only carry about 3 different sku's Flor and Son is a full stocking dealer that gets their watches straight from Finland when I ordered my dive computer it took 4 to 5 days , and Flor and Son is a Factory authorized warranty and repair facility , And they price match as well !

Ems and REI only carry about 3 different sku's Flor and Son is a full stocking dealer that gets their watches straight from Finland when I ordered my dive computer it took 4 to 5 days , and Flor and Son is a Factory authorized warranty and repair facility , And they price match as well !

Thanks very much for all the info. I think I'll be checking out this shop very soon as its within driving distance and I'd much rather have a local dealer that can service the piece if need be.

Back
Top Bottom