• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Two Navy SEALs missing at sea after ship-boarding mission off Somalia...

I can only speculate here but for them to be left at sea by their brothers something pretty bad had to be going on. Heavy incoming fire or some high value hostages that absolutely had to be secured from the area or something. No way they’d just leave them out there if it was a routine boarding and search operation.

Really? I always thought the water was sheltered there and rather calm.

Would not want to visit heard stories from an old boss who was there after bhd... 0 of 5 stars
I spent 5 months, almost straight, going up and down the coast of Somalia. I can think of a whole lot of other places I'd rather fare my chances going over board.

I can only speculate here but for them to be left at sea by their brothers something pretty bad had to be going on. Heavy incoming fire or some high value hostages that absolutely had to be secured from the area or something. No way they’d just leave them out there if it was a routine boarding and search operation.
From further reading, one of them fell off the ladder due to high seas and by SOP another one jumped in to help.

i'd think on a nighttime operation that every SEAL would have an emergency signal beacon?
Yeah I have no idea how those guys do things but I was pretty surprised. I know they probably like to be as slick as possible, but would seem like a good idea. Pilots and aircrew have survival radios at all times, but they are heavy, bulky motherf***ers.

From further reading, one of them fell off the ladder due to high seas and by SOP another one jumped in to help.
I saw that, but my gut feeling is that we’re just reading what they want us to read. Not tin-foiling here but when high risk missions go south the PAO/Pentagon always say it was a routine mission or a training op gone bad.

High seas suck, but this is what these guys do, this is their meat and potatoes. That area is hot right now with weapons shipments, pirates, Al Shabab and other Muslim terror groups trying to support Hamas/Hezbollah IE Iran.

There’s more reasoning to my thoughts on this but not important in the grand scheme of things.

Regardless of that I hope these men are found alive and well and soon. Prayers and gratitude for the warriors still out there doing the deed.

Not tin-foiling here but when high risk missions go south the PAO/Pentagon always say it was a routine mission or a training op gone bad.
Good point.

That has happened on occasion.

Going back to the Vietnam War, the MACV SOG soldiers who were killed or earned valor awards in Laos or Cambodia were often cited as happening in South Vietnam.

In either case for the SEALs, I'd like to see them recovered or their bodies returned.

Fall from a ship like that could be a long way.

Not my ship, but one in the battle group in 94 had someone go overboard who was "testing" the life rail from the water side, when it gave way and he went overboard.

The first thing that happens is a muster to find out who it was, so the people who saw it went to their muster spot and lost eyes on where the guy was.

He went under and was never found. A high risk SEAL mission is by its nature very dangerous.

Hope they are found, but the odds are long at this point.

Last edited:
Link with no paywall:

Haven't even put boots on the ground and we're already racking up KIA's in a war with Houthi's under Biden. If the Marines go in it'll be worse than Vietnam. I would say it's time to negotiate, but with Biden at the helm we'd have to surrender territory to end the war.

Navy SEAL, former UMass swimmer dies trying to save teammate on mission in Arabian Sea

Sad story all around. I can’t imagine being so loaded with gear you would sink like a stone. Why don’t they have some sort of emergency inflation device? Might as well fallen into a pit of lava…

Sad story all around. I can’t imagine being so loaded with gear you would sink like a stone. Why don’t they have some sort of emergency inflation device? Might as well fallen into a pit of lava…

They do. Not sure if they were wearing them on this VBSS though. They also put foam sheets in their load bearing gear to help buoyancy when diving.

Very possible they did have the inflation devices. Rough seas at night is dangerous no matter how you cut it. And the smaller ones that attach to the gear provide about 80lbs of buoyancy I think. Enough to help counter your gear, but you still need to tread water.

I’m sure both of them would be proud that they were helping on a mission with such a strategic significance and stopped those weapons and tech from getting into the hands of terrorists.

Fair winds and following seas gentlemen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom