• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for a new Cary gun

A 9mm 1911 is definitely a mild shooting gun and most have a great trigger but operating a 1911 well requires more practice than most are willing to commit to.

I have no idea why people say this. Because of the safety, cocked and locked carry, or slightly more involved take-down and cleaning? The trade off, a sweet sweet trigger, unbelievable accuracy, little to no felt recoil, and not-ugly-like-a-glock coolness is worth it. I was a believer in the only real 1911 is a .45, but after shooting a Springfield RO Elite Operator, I'm 100% sold on 9mm 1911s. I'm waiting for a custom holster before I switch over my carry from my HK 45c to the RO, but I'll do so happily when it comes. And as for operation simplicity, I bought my wife every "simple" carry pistol you can think of. She didn't like shooting any of them. Shot my SR1911 once, and now it's not mine anymore. Not intimidated at all by anything extra on it, because it's such a nice shooter and an easy carry.

I made my point with my pics earlier in the thread.

I have nothing against hammer, what I have a problem with is sh*t all over the gun, specially things that can get caught on clothing.

To me, the more crap it has, the higher the chances something will go wrong when you need it. I didnt post the G26 pic because it is what I prefer, I posted it because it is a perfect example of a gun where someone thought about conceal carry VS a gun being recommended that is just a smaller version of a full size gun with no thought into CCW.

The SIG 365 SAS is also a perfect example of a well thought out CCW gun. They went a step further and tried to remove the sights.

The Walther paddle mag release in the original PPS is another excellent example. It is pretty much impossible to drop the mag by accident when drawing. I have heard the PPS M2 has some issues with this due to their stupid change to a regular mag release.

To me the argument should never be "striker vs hammer" - unless there is good proof that one system is far more reliable than the other.
SAS really sucks. Only my opinion.

If shot from your jacket pocket I wonder if I could catch my jacket on fire lol.
Off topic but reminds me of a story. Was shooting USPSA indoor match. One target you could reach over the line. I made a comment that I would put the gun against it to ensure A zone hits. Purely a joke. Well one of the kids did it and set the target on fire. It was at the end of the match and was well tattered.

have you ever shot a g29 or g20? 10mm is not that bad too shoot either, it's not the hand cannon the internet makes it out to be. I carry a g29 all the time, I also carry a p365. If had to pick one I'd keep the g29 because it will do everything the p365 will do but better and it will do more.
G29 i hated it mashed my middle knuckle against the trigger guard. But I love me some g20

And the slide is like glass, very easy. NOT like my HK 45c!, which is a bitch to grip align to take down!

Interesting. My 45C is much easier to take down and reassemble than my P238. The 45C checks off a lot of boxes, for me, anyways.

Had a 938. I absolutely loved it until it developed the mag drop issue. got it fixed twice but lost confidence in it. Now I carry a G26.
I thought mine had that problem. It was only with the 7 round magazines. The pinky extension makes it harder to seat. At the range you have to make sure you hear a positive click with the bigger magazines. I found that if I just slammed them home they may unseat but if I make sure they seat they never drop out. Maybe something to do with the heavier mag spring overcoming the release spring? Never had a problem with the 6 round magazine and that is what I use when I carry. They conceal better and I can shoot just as good with them.

Last edited:
There sure are a lotta Nes’rs with squirrel avatars nowadays. Some clad in armor. Some with fierce teeth. Some folding their arms. Idk why 🤷‍♂️

I have no idea why people say this. Because of the safety, cocked and locked carry, or slightly more involved take-down and cleaning? The trade off, a sweet sweet trigger, unbelievable accuracy, little to no felt recoil, and not-ugly-like-a-glock coolness is worth it. I was a believer in the only real 1911 is a .45, but after shooting a Springfield RO Elite Operator, I'm 100% sold on 9mm 1911s. I'm waiting for a custom holster before I switch over my carry from my HK 45c to the RO, but I'll do so happily when it comes. And as for operation simplicity, I bought my wife every "simple" carry pistol you can think of. She didn't like shooting any of them. Shot my SR1911 once, and now it's not mine anymore. Not intimidated at all by anything extra on it, because it's such a nice shooter and an easy carry.
Not that it matters to the behind the wall folks but capacity is a big one. Also the 1911 just doesn't work for some people. Sure they look nice but some of us just don't like them

... some of us just don't like them

Sometimes, this is all the reason people need.

A lot of threads like this can devolve into a he-said/he-said comparison of features, but the grim reality is that some of us just have our preferences and our non-preferences and that's okay. Because it makes sure the industry stays diverse and healthy.

Sometimes, this is all the reason people need.

A lot of threads like this can devolve into a he-said/he-said comparison of features, but the grim reality is that some of us just have our preferences and our non-preferences and that's okay. Because it makes sure the industry stays diverse and healthy.
That's true... while I won't own one because I feel like I get karate chopped in the hand... I can appreciate people buying pocket and single stack 9mms and it led to some nifty guns...

I thought mine had that problem. It was only with the 7 round magazines. The pinky extension makes it harder to seat. At the range you have to make sure you hear a positive click with the bigger magazines. I found that if I just slammed them home they may unseat but if I make sure they seat they never drop out. Maybe something to do with the heavier mag spring overcoming the release spring? Never had a problem with the 6 round magazine and that is what I use when I carry. They conceal better and I can shoot just as good with them.
The extension torqued the mag and caused the drop according to Sig. Cant think of defending yourself with that in the back of your mind. Was never a big Glock fan until I had to carry one for work. The gen 5’s are more comfortable to me and after a few tweeks I like the 17 and 26. They always go bang. I am not worried at all about a big bang. I know many complain about the g’s failing but I wonder if there were underlying causes.

The extension torqued the mag and caused the drop according to Sig. Cant think of defending yourself with that in the back of your mind. Was never a big Glock fan until I had to carry one for work. The gen 5’s are more comfortable to me and after a few tweeks I like the 17 and 26. They always go bang. I am not worried at all about a big bang. I know many complain about the g’s failing but I wonder if there were underlying causes.
I can’t say anything about Glocks because I never had one. I’ve shot a few and I’m not a fan of the grip angle. I’ve never had a 6 round magazine drop out of the Sig so that is what I carry. Plus I could hit a knats ass at 15 yards with it.

Also the Glocks I did shoot all had trigger jobs. Jesus, a strong wind would fire them. I don’t know how the dude carried them without breaking out into a sweat when he handled them.

Not that it matters to the behind the wall folks but capacity is a big one. Also the 1911 just doesn't work for some people. Sure they look nice but some of us just don't like them
I just love them. Nothing makes me happier than a full size 1911 that weighs 6lbs in a shoulder holster with 2 spare mags under the opposite shoulder. A sight radius like a friggin carbine and a bore so big it makes an echo. A trigger that breaks like a trigger should and laser like accuracy. I would carry one every day if I could. I love the confidence I feel when carrying a nice 1911, knowing that if I can see it, I can put a 45 hollow point right in the middle of it and the effectiveness of the round. I love practicing sweeping the safety off when drawing and combat reloads that barely cause me to lose my sight picture.
Whew... I might need a minute...

I just love them. Nothing makes me happier than a full size 1911 that weighs 6lbs in a shoulder holster with 2 spare mags under the opposite shoulder. A sight radius like a friggin carbine and a bore so big it makes an echo. A trigger that breaks like a trigger should and laser like accuracy. I would carry one every day if I could. I love the confidence I feel when carrying a nice 1911, knowing that if I can see it, I can put a 45 hollow point right in the middle of it and the effectiveness of the round. I love practicing sweeping the safety off when drawing and combat reloads that barely cause me to lose my sight picture.
Whew... I might need a minute...

You sound positively tumescent. I think I am a little too after reading that...

You sound positively tumescent. I think I am a little too after reading that...
Yeah. I really like 1911's. I know everything is a compromise, but I would rather carry extra mags and carry a tack driver. My EDC is a 365, and I like it, but a 1911 just feels right to me. Concealability is another matter entirely.

Back
Top Bottom