Looking for a new Cary gun

I just love them. Nothing makes me happier than a full size 1911 that weighs 6lbs in a shoulder holster with 2 spare mags under the opposite shoulder. A sight radius like a friggin carbine and a bore so big it makes an echo. A trigger that breaks like a trigger should and laser like accuracy. I would carry one every day if I could. I love the confidence I feel when carrying a nice 1911, knowing that if I can see it, I can put a 45 hollow point right in the middle of it and the effectiveness of the round. I love practicing sweeping the safety off when drawing and combat reloads that barely cause me to lose my sight picture.
Whew... I might need a minute...
unnamed-69-1-1024x767.jpg

I just love them. Nothing makes me happier than a full size 1911 that weighs 6lbs in a shoulder holster with 2 spare mags under the opposite shoulder. A sight radius like a friggin carbine and a bore so big it makes an echo. A trigger that breaks like a trigger should and laser like accuracy. I would carry one every day if I could. I love the confidence I feel when carrying a nice 1911, knowing that if I can see it, I can put a 45 hollow point right in the middle of it and the effectiveness of the round. I love practicing sweeping the safety off when drawing and combat reloads that barely cause me to lose my sight picture.
You should start writing mushy love novels Fencer. This statement had me searching for another 1911 to add to my safe.

I found no problems with 365 accuracy.
I totally agree. And every time I shoot that little sucker I giggle at how accurate it is. But send that target all the way to the far wall at the range. Or take it out to the 100 yard range and ring some steel. The 365 is a great little carry gun and punches way above it's weight class, but compared to a 5" 1911, with a match grade barrel? And I think the difference is amplified if the target or shooter is moving, as is very likely to be the case.
And I know that modern 9mm defensive ammo is much more effective than it used to be, and I like that, but a quality 45acp round is hard to beat.

... the only guns that belong in shoulder holsters are bren 10s and beretta's.... you also must have a glorious 80s perm and copious amounts of glistening chest hair showing in an open shirt.

I totally agree. And every time I shoot that little sucker I giggle at how accurate it is. But send that target all the way to the far wall at the range. Or take it out to the 100 yard range and ring some steel. The 365 is a great little carry gun and punches way above it's weight class, but compared to a 5" 1911, with a match grade barrel? And I think the difference is amplified if the target or shooter is moving, as is very likely to be the case.
And I know that modern 9mm defensive ammo is much more effective than it used to be, and I like that, but a quality 45acp round is hard to beat.
I can't wait to see the case where someone tries to sell shooting at a person 100yrds away and running as self defence. [wink]

Seriously, guns are tools and are built for differing purposes. The P365 is a small CC self defence gun, and it's very good at that. You can't compare it to a full size match grade pistol. They are built to do different things. Before you compare, establish what you want it to be, then only compare guns that fit the criteria.

OP's original criteria for his carry gun:
Compact size
Hammer fired
Decocker

While the p356 is an excellent carry gun, it only meets one of the criteria. A full size 1911 also only meets one point, hammer fired. The sig P232 and the HK p30sk (just examples), do meet the criteria.

Also the Glocks I did shoot all had trigger jobs. Jesus, a strong wind would fire them. I don’t know how the dude carried them without breaking out into a sweat when he handled them.
Lol you know there's a 100 ways to change the triggers without going full retard, right?

Lol you know there's a 100 ways to change the triggers without going full retard, right?
It was ridiculous. As soon as I touched the trigger... BANG!!!. It was a .40. He offered me to try the three others in his case. I said na, I’m good. I’m thinking it was maybe 3 or 4 pounds?

It was ridiculous. As soon as I touched the trigger... BANG!!!. It was a .40. He offered me to try the three others in his case. I said na, I’m good. I’m thinking it was maybe 3 or 4 pounds?
If it’s scary light it had to be under 3.... most of mine end up being like 4.9 to 6 lbs, but I don’t mess with striker springs. He probably had gucci aftermarket trigger bars, too.

After having my 938, a 1911 is on my must have list. Which brand has yet to be determined.

The officers model is a bit smaller isn’t it? I wouldn’t mind that at all.

Funny, I went with the 238 (then the 938) because I already liked 1911s. It didn't occur to me it would work the other way...

Full size 1911s have a five-inch barrel and, traditionally, a seven-round mag. Officers' Models have a 3.5-inch barrel and, traditionally, six rounds in the mag. In between is the Commander, with a 4.25-inch barrel and a full-size frame. Now there are various mixmasters you can find sometimes, like an Officer frame with a Government grip, etc.

I've carried all three types. The Officer is a fantastic IWB pistol. The full-size Government works well, too, but I don't GAF about printing and if I'm going to go that route, I'll often just haul my Inglis Hi-Power these days.

Funny, I went with the 238 (then the 938) because I already liked 1911s. It didn't occur to me it would work the other way...

Full size 1911s have a five-inch barrel and, traditionally, a seven-round mag. Officers' Models have a 3.5-inch barrel and, traditionally, six rounds in the mag. In between is the Commander, with a 4.25-inch barrel and a full-size frame. Now there are various mixmasters you can find sometimes, like an Officer frame with a Government grip, etc.

I've carried all three types. The Officer is a fantastic IWB pistol. The full-size Government works well, too, but I don't GAF about printing and if I'm going to go that route, I'll often just haul my Inglis Hi-Power these days.
I was originally looking for the 238 because I wanted a PPK similar to the action on my beretta. 238 being a non polymer gun attracted me to it. The guy behind the counter talked me into a bodyguard. In a way I’m glad he did because I never would have bought the 938 if I had the 238. For some reason people have to wrap their heads around “cocked and locked”, including myself. I think most of it is from fear on forums. I never look back now. Single action is way easier to shoot than double action. It’s the way to go.

I was originally looking for the 238 because I wanted a PPK similar to the action on my beretta. 238 being a non polymer gun attracted me to it. The guy behind the counter talked me into a bodyguard. In a way I’m glad he did because I never would have bought the 938 if I had the 238. For some reason people have to wrap their heads around “cocked and locked”, including myself. I think most of it is from fear on forums. I never look back now. Single action is way easier to shoot than double action. It’s the way to go.

There are lots of good starter 1911s out there. My first one was an old Auto-Ord WWII clone I bought around 1995 or so, with all the traditional WWII-style drawbacks. Cost around $400 I think. I had a Remington R1 for awhile, and I'd recommend that or any SIG or Smith 1911 as a good, lowish-cost 1911. You escalate from there; I'm now hauling an old Randall with a hyperaccurate barrel, having progressed through a Smith E-series with a rounded MSH. That was a truly awesome carry piece.

aren`t those hi-power known to fail?

It's not fear, there's a definite difference in action/safety between a cocked/locked 238/938 w/ a single safety, a striker fire gun (with or without manual safety) a real 1911 which has both grip & thumb safeties, and a DA/SA hammer fired gun w/ a deckocker & manual safety which is what the OP is looking for and which is the safest option of all of them. I owned the 238 & 938, they shot great. Had issues w/ the safety on the 938, sent it back 2x (once for something not related to the safety) but I never felt comfortable w/ it again, also I decided to go AIWB and would never carry the 938 AIWB (and I know a lot of guys won't carry AIWB and I respect that, we each evaluate our own risk appetite). Sold the 238 to a friend when I got the 938 otherwise would probably still have it. Sure, it's hard to find a sub/micro gun that shoots as nicely as the 238/938 but there's a lot more involved w/ a carry gun than simply how much you like to shoot it: Concealability, safety, capacity, caliber, reliability, etc. At the distances involved in a typical self-defense scenario you should be able to hit the target with any gun in the 9mm subcompact/micro carry class. If you have a 938 and love it there's nothing wrong w/ that, but for someone shopping for a new (and particularly a first) carry gun, there are infinitely better choices than the 938. IMO, FWIW,

It's not fear, there's a definite difference in action/safety between a cocked/locked 238/938 w/ a single safety, a striker fire gun (with or without manual safety) a real 1911 which has both grip & thumb safeties, and a DA/SA hammer fired gun w/ a deckocker & manual safety which is what the OP is looking for and which is the safest option of all of them. I owned the 238 & 938, they shot great. Had issues w/ the safety on the 938, sent it back 2x (once for something not related to the safety) but I never felt comfortable w/ it again, also I decided to go AIWB and would never carry the 938 AIWB (and I know a lot of guys won't carry AIWB and I respect that, we each evaluate our own risk appetite). Sold the 238 to a friend when I got the 938 otherwise would probably still have it. Sure, it's hard to find a sub/micro gun that shoots as nicely as the 238/938 but there's a lot more involved w/ a carry gun than simply how much you like to shoot it: Concealability, safety, capacity, caliber, reliability, etc. At the distances involved in a typical self-defense scenario you should be able to hit the target with any gun in the 9mm subcompact/micro carry class. If you have a 938 and love it there's nothing wrong w/ that, but for someone shopping for a new (and particularly a first) carry gun, there are infinitely better choices than the 938. IMO, FWIW,
I hear ya. I’ve never had an issue with my safety. I also have a Kusiak holster and it’s molded really close around the safety. Don’t forget the 938 also has a firing pin block that moves out of the way when the trigger is depressed. I always recommend Kusiak to everyone.F754498B-9A63-4820-BF97-86468C4BECAA.jpeg79887C85-39C1-4FD2-AB4E-38E3B5AFA67F.jpeg7C0B4D58-05D6-488D-8E91-B5EA89717D06.jpeg

I can't wait to see the case where someone tries to sell shooting at a person 100yrds away and running as self defence.
OK. You are at the mall with the wife. She says " Im gonna go to the girly store for girly things" You say "fugg that, Im gonna go fondle tools or something, I will meet you at the car in 30 minutes"
As you are walking towards the car, you see two hombres stuffing your wife into a van and slide the door shut. The moment they do, you have a clean shot before they jump into the vehicle.
You start to think.... "Damn, that's way cheaper than a divorce, and I like take out food, I'm going back to the food court for PF Changs"
Then you remember how much you hate doing laundry, so you start to draw and sweep off the safety. But then you think " that new cleaner down the street offer wash and fold. I wonder how much that costs?"
But then, you start a quick cost analysis in your head, "How much am I going to spend per year at the Miss Siagon massage parlor?" and quikly realize the savings, as you start to re-holster.
It's at that moment you remember the kids. And you know damn well they are going to see the surveillance footage and know full well you could have got a few shots off.
You think "Damn kids!" and start to run toward the van while you aim and shoot. The driver is just rounding the van when you hit him right in the back of the head.
BOOM, his head explodes like a watermelon in the front row of a Gallagher show. The passenger had just closed the van door when you send a round through the window stunning him as glass shatters. Two follow up shots to the face and he flops over.
You rush to the van, open the door, and your wife immediately starts bitching at you because you got brain matter on her new Channel outfit worse than Jackie Kennedy.
Then you realize the great mercy you have shown by sparing the perps from having to deal with her.

You explain it to the prosecutor just like that. Charges dropped. You visit the mall every weekend for a year, but carrying a 365.

The 238 is one of my favorites Right up until my daughter shot it. I haven't seen it since She loves it.

The only guy with his finger off the trigger was the guy standing on the right.
I knew there was gonna be someone who got out the loupe.
But I was wrong...
...I've been tag-teamed.

OTOH, I plumb forgot to add this to my previous post:
"Reminds me of one of our GOAL events at the State House".
800px-MassStateHouseSpanishWarMurals.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom