• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for a new Cary gun

That's fine. As long as it's not a reliability concern. It's why I asked. Same as some people wanting a 'steel' gun vs a polymer, just information.

Speaking for myself?

I've tried plastic striker guns and I just don't like them.

Sometimes, it's that simple. The OP laid out a list of requirements that makes sense to him; they don't have to make sense to anyone else. This happens on NES all the time, mostly by the "just buy a Glock" crowd.

Speaking for myself?

I've tried plastic striker guns and I just don't like them.

Sometimes, it's that simple. The OP laid out a list of requirements that makes sense to him; they don't have to make sense to anyone else. This happens on NES all the time, mostly by the "just buy a Glock" crowd.

I’m not a huge fan of them either but my 92FS won’t fit down the front of my pants as comfortably as my P365 so I have to make allowances.

I read the entire string, maybe I missed it. I know someone else asked it, but why are you so into hammer fired pistols?

I ask because I'm planning on doing CCW/Tactical(ish) instruction in a year or two. I think this may come up more than I think it should. Interested in your mental block against striker fired weapons. Hell, anyone can chime in, don't care. If there's too much derailment, I can always make a dedicated thread, if there isn't one already somewhere. It's almost like there should be a search feature, but I digress.
If you're going to be training others you may want to be more objective. You've already decided striker fired is better. Perhaps you should be asking why that is what you think?

If you're going to be training others you may want to be more objective. You've already decided striker fired is better. Perhaps you should be asking why that is what you think?

I don't care, it's the 'only hammer/striker' I'm trying to wrap my head around. As long as it's accurate and reliable, that's what matters to me. I like my Glocks, I like my Sigs, I like my 1911's.

I don't care, it's the 'only hammer/striker' I'm trying to wrap my head around. As long as it's accurate and reliable, that's what matters to me. I like my Glocks, I like my Sigs, I like my 1911's.
I made my point with my pics earlier in the thread.

I have nothing against hammer, what I have a problem with is sh*t all over the gun, specially things that can get caught on clothing.

To me, the more crap it has, the higher the chances something will go wrong when you need it. I didnt post the G26 pic because it is what I prefer, I posted it because it is a perfect example of a gun where someone thought about conceal carry VS a gun being recommended that is just a smaller version of a full size gun with no thought into CCW.

The SIG 365 SAS is also a perfect example of a well thought out CCW gun. They went a step further and tried to remove the sights.

The Walther paddle mag release in the original PPS is another excellent example. It is pretty much impossible to drop the mag by accident when drawing. I have heard the PPS M2 has some issues with this due to their stupid change to a regular mag release.

To me the argument should never be "striker vs hammer" - unless there is good proof that one system is far more reliable than the other.

I made my point with my pics earlier in the thread.

I have nothing against hammer, what I have a problem with is sh*t all over the gun, specially things that can get caught on clothing.

To me, the more crap it has, the higher the chances something will go wrong when you need it. I didnt post the G26 pic because it is what I prefer, I posted it because it is a perfect example of a gun where someone thought about conceal carry VS a gun being recommended that is just a smaller version of a full size gun with no thought into CCW.

The SIG 365 SAS is also a perfect example of a well thought out CCW gun. They went a step further and tried to remove the sights.

The Walther paddle mag release in the original PPS is another excellent example. It is pretty much impossible to drop the mag by accident when drawing. I have heard the PPS M2 has some issues with this due to their stupid change to a regular mag release.

Your earlier post is what got me thinking. The reasons, if there were any between the 2 different type pistols.

out of a common perception that a hammer is safer than a striker, probably. which is not true at all.
The vast majority of DA/SA guns are hammer fired. So:
If you want re-strike capability, you go hammer.
Hammer provides a significant visual indicator of the state of the gun.
If you compare 2 guns without safeties, the SA striker will have a significantly lighter trigger pull than the DA hammer fired. This makes an ND much more difficult to happen, and so the DA (hammer) is safer. You may not think this is necessary, but you can't dismiss the physics. For example, clothing getting caught inside the trigger guard has been known to result in an ND, this is a lot less likely on a hammer fired gun with the hammer down simply because of the significantly greater force required to cock and fire the gun.
Every ND I've read about here on NES has been a striker fired gun, so...... It may be anecdotal but it would truly be a case of cognitive dissonance to say there isn't a greater risk with striker fired.

The comment "not true at all" is dismissive of the very real evidence. Again, you may feel it's unnecessary but the simple fact is that if it's harder to fire the gun is safer. This is about the obtect, not the shooter.

I like and own hammer fired gun. But I also like and own striker fired guns. And I've been know to carry both types. They are handled differently BECAUSE they are different.

Just became a paying member so please go easy on me.

Looking for a new carry gun (and God help me because i live in MA).
Would like some recommendations. I am trying to find a hammer gun with a de-cocker in a compact size. My ideal pistol would be a CZ 2075 Rami but good luck finding one used in MA.
Anyone have any thoughts? I only cary hammer guns so that limits things for compact pistols. Sig may have a few good ones but i have never carried a Sig.
I don't know if this one has been mentioned in five pages of posts and I ain't going looking.

CZ 75D PCR Compact (the "D" stands for decocker)....Don't know availability in MA...even in NH they are pretty rare. When I bought mine, the store had just received three. Two were spoken for. The third one had been in the display for ten minutes. I bought it on the spot and have never regretted it.

My only honest reason for double action over double/single is the 2 different trigger presses. Yes, you can manage it if you train. But if you're not training a lot, the lighter trigger on the second pull can bite you.

I know it happened to me with my 229. Great gun, but I put it into double only mode.

Reliable
Solid
Accurate
Pre-ban mags available
Ambidextrous decocker and magazine release (all "controls")
Inexpensive
Indestructible
What's not to like?

wm_8311654.jpg

With the "Glock sock" handgrips

19913.jpg

Last edited:
If it must have a hammer, I'd look at a P220 variant if it's .45 and a CZ75 variant if it's a 9mm. If it's a 10mm with a hammer, I guess it would be a 1911 though Sig made the P220 in 10mm.

OP you did not specify caliber, but I assume 9mm as you referenced the RAMI.
So I have to ask, have you ever fired a 1911 chambered in 9mm?
I know it doesn't have a de-cocker, but even in a Commander model, a quality 1911 will make shooting 9mm feel like you are shooting 22.

A 9mm 1911 is definitely a mild shooting gun and most have a great trigger but operating a 1911 well requires more practice than most are willing to commit to.

To me, the more crap it has, the higher the chances something will go wrong when you need it.
I can't stand the "rail" that everyone insists on putting under every barrel. It detracts from the classic pistol look. I really would like to just filethem off (on the plastic guns).

It's ugly [wink]
Still light years better looking than a Glock.

Back
Top Bottom