Looking for a new Cary gun

Do some research.
2” pipe and still around 1200fps.
Federal hst and you will stop and think about what you thought you were doing.

If the human tissue springs back undamaged because it was not touched by the bullet itself, then the only incapacitation is induced by what the bullet itself damages and possibly by a psychological reaction to getting shot. None of the practical concealed carry handgun calibers have enough velocity to cause significant damage with the temporary cavity. If the bullet damages the CNS, you will probably get some immediate effects with any caliber, if not incapacitation (spinal cord injury or brain stem), then at least confusion, though perhaps not be able to recall why they are trying to kill might not stop them from doing it. Otherwise, with an intact brain and spinal cord, your assailant will have 15-20 seconds at least to continue whatever they started before a blood pressure drop has any effect. Pumping the torso full of more bullets might cause the blood pressure drop to happen sooner, but you still have to wait for that event to occur unless you hit the CNS and incapacitate that way.

Personally, I think compliance is the most important factor, followed by competency of the shooter with that particular firearm. Need to have it, need to be able to hit something with it and also handle it safely every day.

Something I don’t see mentioned is adrenaline, or drugs.
I know from experience in traumatic injuries is you have a delayed response.
I have seen video of people on drugs that don’t stop!
Keeping distance is very important!
And shoot till they are done!

as far as you self, be aware that if injuries are incurred you will not think that you are badly injured!!!! Get help asap!

Ran across this tonight. Nice looking gun. Haven't heard much about it.

MAPP_Series_Banner-1.jpg

What the fk do I know. I am new here.
Who needs Federal HST .357 when Federal makes a .38 HST that out performs most .357 carry ammo and with way less recoil. Stock #P38HSTIS penetrates 13" in gel tests and expands to .70. This HST .38 ammo performs so well I swithed out the different ammo choices I was loading in my Smith 638, and 649, snubbies, as well as my smith 66, 686 and TRR8. they are all oaded with Federal .38 #P38HSTIS now.

Last edited:
I don't think comparing energy of one handgun cartridge to another is interesting at self-defense distances when barrier penetration is not a factor, but a .357 magnum snubbie with a 2" barrel corresponds roughly to a 9mm +p out of a semi-auto with a 3.5" barrel, or probably a little less, depending on the size of the flash gap in the 2" revolver. Or at least it can. There is a lot of variance, obviously, depending on the powders used. The 9x19 cartridge has an advantage, since the lower case capacity forces the manufacturer to use a medium burn-rate powder at slowest, whereas they might use a much slower powder for .357 magnum, which would be a terrible choice for a short barrel. Unfortunately, even in optimized loads with all other things being equal, recoil is always worse in the snubby.

I don't think comparing energy of one handgun cartridge to another is interesting at self-defense distances when barrier penetration is not a factor, but a .357 magnum snubbie with a 2" barrel corresponds roughly to a 9mm +p out of a semi-auto with a 3.5" barrel, or probably a little less, depending on the size of the flash gap in the 2" revolver. Or at least it can. There is a lot of variance, obviously, depending on the powders used. The 9x19 cartridge has an advantage, since the lower case capacity forces the manufacturer to use a medium burn-rate powder at slowest, whereas they might use a much slower powder for .357 magnum, which would be a terrible choice for a short barrel. Unfortunately, even in optimized loads with all other things being equal, recoil is always worse in the snubby.

I'll stand corrected on that, now that I've looked it can get pretty close. I'm just biased because I'm used to carrying 9mm that goes 1300+ fps. [laugh]

The recoil out of that snub with full power 357 is going to be horrendous though. Not to mention its an order of magnitude louder than the 9 is. If you measured it with a mic at 5 feet away I bet its easily at least 6 db or more louder.

@drgrant you're not wrong actually - .357 out of a snubnose is really unimpressive.

Something ain't right there though, because when he got 1090 with that Hornady load, thats very similar to Speer Short Barrel 357 mag. My 640 used to get in the 1038-1050
range with that load. Full house magnum should be at least 1100 fps. And another vid I watched the dude was getting into the 1200s with the speer 125 Gr 357 mag full house
load out of an SP101... granted, the SP101 is a c hair longer than the j-frame he was using...

Back
Top Bottom