Legislative Alert - Sound Suppressor Bill Hearing July 14

When the legislature can't even decide whether or not the AG usurped their power, I have a hard time seeing this getting any more action this session.

A very wise man (Jim Wallace) of GOAL told me that bad things happen very quickly; good things take time.

Sort of like stocks - the downturns are always much sharper and quicker than the upticks.

I'm pretty sure no chance at fixing this legislatively, neither this year or next. On to the courts me thinks.

d207f3d8e2cf58195f579e8fd10087af.jpg

Won't happen. Only non-controversial, procedural bills are allowed by the leadership to come to the floor during this period.

... and those are the VERY ONES to inject this language into. Play games they want to do?

... and those are the VERY ONES to inject this language into. Play games they want to do?

You can't.

The speaker of the house and the senate president run the show. The only bills that come to the floor are the ones they want with the language they want.

You can't.

The speaker of the house and the senate president run the show. The only bills that come to the floor are the ones they want with the language they want.

I'm not so sure about that. Where there's a will, there's a way. If the governor or someone else wanted it, it would happen.

I'm not so sure about that. Where there's a will, there's a way. If the governor or someone else wanted it, it would happen.
Nope, it wouldn't. The Speaker of the House and the Senate President don't report to the governor and are in the opposing party. They don't do the governor's bidding.

By the way, the sponsor, Michael Moore, was Vice Chair, Joint Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security. As of right ow, he is on Temporary Senate Committee on Ways and Means. I think the other committee stuff will be coming, as they are just forming things up now.

Well, a new session is under way, and a new bill is filed, this time sponsored by a Democrat:

Bill SD.66 190th (Current)
Search
Search the Legislature
An Act relative to suppressors

Both Frost, who sponsored the previous suppressor bill, and Moore, who is sponsoring this one, are my elected officials!

Hells yes! Let's see this happen.

It's nice because to the plebs who know nothing of MA law, it looks like it's adding penalties rather than easing restrictions.

So what are the chances, if any, of this passing this year? I didn't follow this the first time, and am not sure how much traction it got.

A disinformation effort should be started, acting like we are further restricting suppressors would likely get this to pass.

This. The bill looks fairly innocuous to someone who's a low info, low effort voter. This could absolutely be spun as restricting suppressors.

"Hey, you're a pretty progressive fellow. Did you see that the Republicans are looking to deregulate silencers? There's a bill that's been introduced in MA that will prevent domestic abusers, felons, and drug users from getting their hands on a silencer in MA, but you're going to have to convince your legislators. Here's a form letter and three email addresses to send it to."

And delete this thread, of course. [laugh]

"Having an rifle fire close to your head is very loud and dangerous."

"I have the right to have the latest safety technology to protect my hearing."

- - - Updated - - -

"Having an rifle fire close to your head is very loud and dangerous."

"I have the right to have the latest safety technology to protect my hearing."

H2791 "Jack's Law" is no joke.

Section 32. (a) Any person who knowingly or intentionally manufactures, distributes, dispenses, or processes with intent to manufacture, distribute or dispense a controlled substance in class A of section 31 shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for not less than 30 years or by a fine of not less than $10,000, or by both such fine and imprisonment. Provided, however, that the fine established under this provision shall not be in lieu of the mandatory 30 year sentence established herein.

Back
Top Bottom