Legislative Alert - Sound Suppressor Bill Hearing July 14

i'm thinking more about supressors on pistols, don't have too many bird cage devices on any of them. [thinking]

What's the issue with pistols? As long as you don't have any of the other evil features, you're allowed to have a threaded barrel on a pistol.

For reference, this is the definition of "Assault Weapon" for pistols:
a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--
(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip,
or silencer;
(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits
the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;
(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and
(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm;

So, a threaded barrel is 1 feature. As long as you don't have any of the other features, it's good to go. The vast majority of typical pistols don't have any of the other features.

a cruel joke, ya can buy all the suppressors you want but we still won't be able to have threaded barrels in massachusetts. [crying]

You could buy a bolt action AR upper from me once I'm in production. That would let you have a threaded barrel and a dead quiet setup in 300 blk! Folding stock adaptors, bayonet lugs... Any evil feature your little heart might desire to boot ;)

Steve
SWG Concepts

Last edited:
i'm thinking more about supressors on pistols, don't have too many bird cage devices on any of them. [thinking]

you can have a threaded barrel on most pistol . The awb only really kicks in on stuff like Uzis and macs, ar15 pistols .

Obviously this.

However, other than .22s, most pistol shooting with suppressors sucks. Very simply, the weight of the can makes the gun handle terribly.

.22 cans can weigh as little as 3 ounces. Put it on the right gun and it will balance perfectly. (Ruger 22/45 lite comes immediately to mind)

Hang a 9 - 12 ounce can off the end of your Glock and you have something truly terrible to shoot. Ask me how I know. Here's how it works.

1) Grin when you put the threaded bbl in the gun.
2) load mag with 147 gr bullets
3) screw on suppressor.
4) try to ignore how nose heavy the gun is now.
5) giggle at how quiet the gun is.
6) feel guilty because you are saying in your mind that this really sucks because while its quiet, the Glock now handles like a turd
7) discreetly take the can off once everyone has tried it, because you can't bare to shoot the gun any more.
8) repeat every 6 months.

The best use there is for a 9mm pistol can is repurposed as a can for a subsonic .300 blk SBR.

Don

Obviously this.

However, other than .22s, most pistol shooting with suppressors sucks. Very simply, the weight of the can makes the gun handle terribly.

.22 cans can weigh as little as 3 ounces. Put it on the right gun and it will balance perfectly. (Ruger 22/45 lite comes immediately to mind)

Hang a 9 - 12 ounce can off the end of your Glock and you have something truly terrible to shoot. Ask me how I know. Here's how it works.

1) Grin when you put the threaded bbl in the gun.
2) load mag with 147 gr bullets
3) screw on suppressor.
4) try to ignore how nose heavy the gun is now.
5) giggle at how quiet the gun is.
6) feel guilty because you are saying in your mind that this really sucks because while its quiet, the Glock now handles like a turd
7) discreetly take the can off once everyone has tried it, because you can't bare to shoot the gun any more.
8) repeat every 6 months.

The best use there is for a 9mm pistol can is repurposed as a can for a subsonic .300 blk SBR.

Don

Disagree, respectfully, that the best use for a 9mm can is:
180ee57181c655a8b3721d45b625d01b.jpg

Disagree, respectfully, that the best use for a 9mm can is:
180ee57181c655a8b3721d45b625d01b.jpg

I stand corrected. yes. A 9mm AR or MG is better.

I forgot that I have happily used my YHM Cobra II 9mm can on my M11-9 machine gun. It works great. You hardly notice the weight.

What kind of handguard is that on your 9mm AR toy?

Don

But which committee?

I just got off the phone with Anne, from the Senate side of the Judiciary Committee. She recommended that we call / email the house side and urge them to report this out favorably. She also recommended that you call your own Rep. and ask that they do the same.
I think the point is to get it up for vote and not let it die in committee. Committee on the Judiciary contact information below:

House Information
Room 136 State House
Boston, MA 02133
Tel:(617) 722-2396​

...However, other than .22s, most pistol shooting with suppressors sucks. ...

I was thinking maybe something like a 9mm carbine would be good.

I heard it is in Ways and Means now. Is that still true?

I thought it was "Judiciary".

I just got off the phone with Anne, from the Senate side of the Judiciary Committee. She recommended that we call / email the house side and urge them to report this out favorably. She also recommended that you call your own Rep. and ask that they do the same.
I think the point is to get it up for vote and not let it die in committee. Committee on the Judiciary contact information below:

House Information
Room 136 State House
Boston, MA 02133

Yes.

Originally Posted by dcmdon
...However, other than .22s, most pistol shooting with suppressors sucks. ...

Agreed. The 'trust' intends is to obtain a can for the .300 blk SBR.

House Information
Room 136 State House
Boston, MA 02133

Just called. They sent me to "Paul Donato" (?), who, of course, was not in (Friday and all).

I left a message asking that they please work to get this bill out to be voted on and to work towards its passage.

Keep the pressure on!

Just called. They sent me to "Paul Donato" (?), who, of course, was not in (Friday and all).

I left a message asking that they please work to get this bill out to be voted on and to work towards its passage.

Keep the pressure on!

guess it's warm enough to head for the cape?

https://malegislature.gov/Bills/189/House/H1305

DateBranchAction
1/20/2015HouseReferred to the committee on The Judiciary
1/20/2015SenateSenate concurred
7/1/2015Joint Hearing scheduled for 07/14/2015 from 01:00 PM-05:00 PM in A-2
7/14/2015JointHearing rescheduled to 07/14/2015 from 01:00 PM-05:00 PM in Gardner Auditorium
3/14/2016HouseReporting date extended to Monday May 2, 2016, pending concurrence
3/16/2016SenateSenate concurred
5/2/2016
HouseReporting date extended to Wednesday June 1, 2016, pending concurrence
5/2/2016SenateSenate concurred

Actions for Bill H.1305

I dont see a report from the committee, is this dead at this point or does it carry forward? This freaking state.

Back
Top Bottom