Legislative Alert - Sound Suppressor Bill Hearing July 14

How happy I would be if they'd make this law before july 13th and I could just use my trust to form 1 a suppressor or two...

According to the Senate 1271 version it's in the Sen. Ways and Means committee and the House 1305 version has "Reporting date extended to June 1, 2016"
Should we be pestering the House, Senate, or both?
My guess would be the House Reps to bring it to a vote?

I can see this passing now, and the AG saying anything that can have a suppressor attached is an assault weapon. Therefore you can have a suppressor but cannot posses a firearm at the same time you posses the suppressor. The sad part is i am only half being sarcastic.

a direct impingment AR is probably one of the less optimal platforms for switching between unsupressed and surpressed. a piston system is preferable but a bolt action is probably the simplest and most reliable system. no gas issues to deal with it. the ruger american ranch in .223 and .300 blackout (comes stock w threaded barrel) is incredibly popular for this reason.

one of the things that keeps me from doing more hunting is shooting without hearing protection. it just sucks. after a turkey hunt i can't hear for at least 12h, sometimes more. if supressors were available to me I would be outfitting a bolt action or possibly shotgun mostly for hunting purpose.

They are not just for AR's.

a direct impingment AR is probably one of the less optimal platforms for switching between unsupressed and surpressed. a piston system is preferable but a bolt action is probably the simplest and most reliable system. no gas issues to deal with it. the ruger american ranch in .223 and .300 blackout (comes stock w threaded barrel) is incredibly popular for this reason.

one of the things that keeps me from doing more hunting is shooting without hearing protection. it just sucks. after a turkey hunt i can't hear for at least 12h, sometimes more. if supressors were available to me I would be outfitting a bolt action or possibly shotgun mostly for hunting purpose.

Any .223 cal firearm of any kind is a terrible suppressor platform, simply because its useless. A 70 gr bullet going 1000 fps is just not good for anything other than killing squirrels at 25 yards. You can make a bolt .223 quiet, but its just a plinker. You can't make a subsonic .223 AR run unless you make changes to the gas system and mainspring.

In contrast, a .30 cal platform can be loaded up with a very heavy, very high ballistic coefficient bullet. Even 240 gr at 1050 fps isn't going to have much power. But its enough to humanely kill varmints.

I have a Rem 700 in .308 with a 16" threaded barrel. Its a great little gun. I can load it down to .300 BLK type power or run full boat (pretty hot) handloads which push a 175 gr bullet to 2600 fps. When I bought this gun, I considered the same gun in .300 Blk, but decided that I wanted the ability on the top end that .308 gave me.

Don

After being in my last rifle class where 3 guys were running cans on full power 5.56, I would not call them useless. Mitigating muzzle blast is an important function when it's happening a couple feet from your head. I also learned to hate just a little the people running aggressive brakes. Depends entirely on what you expect that suppressor to accomplish.

After being in my last rifle class where 3 guys were running cans on full power 5.56, I would not call them useless. Mitigating muzzle blast is an important function when it's happening a couple feet from your head. I also learned to hate just a little the people running aggressive brakes. Depends entirely on what you expect that suppressor to accomplish.

I believe that he was referencing "real world" applications not target practice. The ballistic properties of a suppressed 5.56 are roughly equal that of a .22 LR. For range use, cans have a huge advantage.

I believe that he was referencing "real world" applications not target practice. The ballistic properties of a suppressed 5.56 are roughly equal that of a .22 LR. For range use, cans have a huge advantage.

Comon, these guys wern't running subbies at a course. They we're likely getting more FPS with the can on than the guys running the brakes.

So was I. Ever fired full power 5.56 in a hallway? With a partner?

Love me some 5.56 cans.....supersonic.

I should have been more specific.

Standard power .223 is certainly useful. But its not hearing safe without muffs. If I was someone who was paid to shoot inside, I'd definitely want one. One of my .223 cans is a classic gemtech M4-02. Its a great can. I've got it permanently attached to a 10.5" AR. Its a lot of fun.

Subsonic .223 is useless. Its not even good at punching paper at rifle distances and it won't cycle the action.

However, .30 cal subsonic can actually be used for something. High BC and sectional density make it so. A .300 blk with a 240 gr bullet is a "full power" load and will cycle a standard action if its used on an AR15 platform.

Don

I should have been more specific.

Standard power .223 is certainly useful. But its not hearing safe without muffs.

Subsonic .223 is useless. Its not even good at punching paper at rifle distances and it won't cycle the action.

People use standard power .223 with cans. Yes, you still get the supersonic crack, but the muzzle blast is greatly reduced.

Gotta keep this one on the table and high on the list before this Saturday, in addition to all the other AG correcting stuff.

Back
Top Bottom