Legal Ammo storage in MA

Did they provide you with the Mass General Law citation for this? If this is a felony and you are going to arrest someone for this, what are you going to charge them with?

ill ask my LT. Monday and have an answer for you then.

<<<<<< not making it up just went through in service that was one of the things brought up.

You need to be very careful about claiming something is illegal based on something other than you personally reading the text of the law and being able to cite it.

Instructors don't always know what they are talking about. Don't trust what anybody says about the law unless they are a lawyer who you have paid. Always ask for a cite.

You need to be very careful about claiming something is illegal based on something other than you personally reading the text of the law and being able to cite it.

Instructors don't always know what they are talking about. Don't trust what anybody says about the law unless they are a lawyer who you have paid. Always ask for a cite.

i understand what you are saying.. i will speak with my LT. on monday and have an answer for you. I paid to go through that academy... I wonder why they would be feeding us bad info.

Last edited:
i understand what you are saying.. i will speak with my LT. on monday and have an answer for you. I paid to go through that academy... I wonder why they would be feeding us bad info.

I suspect he didn't think he was feeding you bad information. The reality is that MA gun laws are so complex that few people really understand them.

You would be surprised to learn that the majority of law-abiding MA gun owners know the MA gun laws better than the majority of LEOs. LEOs need to have a vast knowledge of MGLs and other laws, not just gun laws. This can shrink down their expertise on a specific area, unlike gun owners who tend to study just gun laws. MA gun owners are also practically forced to study MA gun laws extensively so as to not be in violation of them. The unneccessary complexity and rediculous nature of MA gun laws does not help the issue either.

You would be surprised to learn that the majority of law-abiding MA gun owners know the MA gun laws better than the majority of LEOs. LEOs need to have a vast knowledge of MGLs and other laws, not just gun laws. This can shrink down their expertise on a specific area, unlike gun owners who tend to study just gun laws. MA gun owners are also practically forced to study MA gun laws extensively so as to not be in violation of them. The unneccessary complexity and rediculous nature of MA gun laws does not help the issue either.

i cetainly agree.. just because i heard it does not mean i believe it..

You would be surprised to learn that the majority of law-abiding MA gun owners know the MA gun laws better than the majority of LEOs.

I'm not sure that I'd go that far. I'd guess that those of us here are not representative of MA gun owners as a group. We've all heard gun owners at the gun club or gun store make statements about the gun laws that are ridiculous.

I do suspect that many police officers don't know the law as well as they think the do.

I suspect he didn't think he was feeding you bad information. The reality is that MA gun laws are so complex that few people really understand them.

And even those that are an expert can sometimes trip themselves up and give out mis-information unintentionally. I recently had to correct the MASTER of MA firearms law when he neglected to point out a very important exemption.

I've done the same thing here unintentionally a few times myself. It happens.

---------

As to the 50 rds being a felony, I can guarantee you that 99% of LEOs in MA do NOT lock up their ammo when they go off duty (assuming that they don't leave their duty belt at the station)! Ergo, 3 mags in many cases > 50 rds. Somehow they wouldn't want to know that they are all felons now, would they?

The ammo can locks are hugely over-priced. I bought a few at a gun show once.

There are some machinists here on NES that could knock these things out in a heartbeat and for cheap money. If one were to step forward, a group buy would be in order.

If someone could get me a sample, I'll see what I can do. [smile]

I'm not sure that I'd go that far. I'd guess that those of us here are not representative of MA gun owners as a group. We've all heard gun owners at the gun club or gun store make statements about the gun laws that are ridiculous.

I do suspect that many police officers don't know the law as well as they think the do.
Well when I say majority I mean NESers [laugh]

Seriously though, I do forget that we as an educated group represent a small minority.

Ummm, yeah. There are only a few on this forum that REALLY understand them as well! I don't think I've read any of your posts that have been in error. [grin]

And even those that are an expert can sometimes trip themselves up and give out mis-information unintentionally. I recently had to correct the MASTER of MA firearms law when he neglected to point out a very important exemption.

I've done the same thing here unintentionally a few times myself. It happens.

---------

As to the 50 rds being a felony, I can guarantee you that 99% of LEOs in MA do NOT lock up their ammo when they go off duty (assuming that they don't leave their duty belt at the station)! Ergo, 3 mags in many cases > 50 rds. Somehow they wouldn't want to know that they are all felons now, would they?

this came up at a department meeting thats why i brought it up.

I think there was a guy who did that and lost his license because the court found that a locked door is not considered a locked container.

That case was for a firearm. The 'lock' in question was a standard interior push button on the knob that all you needed was a pin to push through a hole on the outside to open.

For ammo even that kind of lock might qualify. The regulation does not imply how secure.

Most of my ammo is in ammo boxes with the 'lock', but other stuff I keep in plastic milk crates with a piece of wood 'locked' on top with a cable lock. (the wood has tabs that hold one side and the cable lock holds the other. You can't pull the boxes out the holes and it would take some real effort to open a box through the holes.

Besides, locks are only to keep 'honest' people out.

Another good solution would be an old heavy steel cabinet. Sold enough to be secure, but loose enough to not contain any gasses if a fire were to break out. I still like ammo boxes best for 3 reasons:

1) they were designed to contain ammo.
2) they are easy to stack and carry
3) locking them isn't all that hard.

Back
Top Bottom