• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Legal Ammo storage in MA

Reptile

NES Member
I'm thinking of getting more ammo. Pretty soon I will run out of ammo cans with locks.

Do I legally need locks on the boxes anyway?

I checked the MGL and there was no mention of this.

I just want to be sure- being in Mass... [thinking]

I use the EddieCoyle ammo storage device: used locking file cabinet. Get an used old heavy duty one off of craigslist NOT one of the cheap lightweight new ones from staples.

Course there isn't- it isn't an MGL based restriction, it's in MA CMR, so it's more of a regulation than a typical criminal law.

-Mike

I think there was a guy who did that and lost his license because the court found that a locked door is not considered a locked container.

If that's the case I'm thinking of, it was about firearm storage, not ammo storage. The ammo regs are much looser, and if I remember the wording right, "locked closet" is explicitly listed as OK for ammo.

That said, I have never heard of any sort of enforcement issue of any kind with regards to personal (not commercial) ammo storage. If anyone has, I'd be curious to hear more about it.

Course there isn't- it isn't an MGL based restriction

Sure it is. 527 CMR 13.04 defines the amounts exempted, but C.148 § 13 is the statutory force behind the exemption. And C.148 § 16 declares failure to follow the regulation as a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of up to $100 and a jail time of up to one month, or both.

Sure it is. 527 CMR 13.04 defines the amounts exempted, but C.148 § 13 is the statutory force behind the exemption. And C.148 § 16 declares failure to follow the regulation as a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of up to $100 and a jail time of up to one month, or both.

Thanks for the correction. So, by virtue of this, then that means that violating CMR -IS- a criminal offensse, and not merely a civil one?

-Mike

Ok I seem to be confused. Are you only required to have your ammo locked up if you are over the Limit and have the permit? That is the way I read it.

Ok I seem to be confused. Are you only required to have your ammo locked up if you are over the Limit and have the permit? That is the way I read it.

No, it's actually the exact opposite. Ammo must be locked up when not in use in order to be considered exempt from needing a license or permit to store ammo. Ammo stored with a permit does not have any requirement to be locked up, strictly following the CMR. But I believe the spirit of the law is that even ammo under a permit should be locked up.

Last edited:
The ammo can locks are hugely over-priced. I bought a few at a gun show once.

There are some machinists here on NES that could knock these things out in a heartbeat and for cheap money. If one were to step forward, a group buy would be in order.

Here's something I though of while driving to work this morning. Would ammo in a sealed spam can be considered to be safely stored? While it's not locked, I'd say it's very secure, considering the bleeding involved in opening one. However, I know one of the other considerations for ammo storage is that it be in a container that will not produce dangerously high pressure in the event of a fire. I'm no metallurgist, but spam cans strike me as something that would not release pressure easily or gently. Thoughts?

I just took the cable lock that came with one of my handgun purchases, ran it through the top handle and the side handle of my ammo can and it can't be opened without some work like breaking or cutting the handles off. I wonder if that would qualify as 'locked' ammo? I'm trying to post a picture if I can figure it out...

The ammo can locks are hugely over-priced. I bought a few at a gun show once.

There are some machinists here on NES that could knock these things out in a heartbeat and for cheap money. If one were to step forward, a group buy would be in order.

I'd be in for that. I bought mine for 6 bucks each.

storage

I would check out GOALs web site.they have the law on this.especialy with you all buying powder and primers and so much ammo.because it includes bunkers.this was part of the showing storage permit when you bought powder.it appears like mose chiefs just ignor the law also.I just got off the phone with Nancy.and I had a permit for yrs till I moved in 2000. [grin]

I'm thinking of getting more ammo. Pretty soon I will run out of ammo cans with locks.

Do I legally need locks on the boxes anyway?

I just want to be sure- being in Mass... [thinking]

If its not locked and you leave 50 or more rounds un-attended its a felony. just some food for thought.

Back
Top Bottom