Johnson wants to build an AR pistol in communist taxachusettes

Alright, I know the laws and I can't get it imported into the state so what is preventing me from buying an 80% lower, cutting it out and registering it as a pistol and build a (state legal) AR pistol?

Put a pistol grip, make it 9mm, put a tiny barrel, put the gas system, put a thingy to hold it properly, be a douche and put a sig brace and viola, I have an AR pistol in MA, right?

What is the legality of this, is there anything stopping me from manufacturing one BY the correct laws? I could even AOW it at some point right?

A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any two of the following:
  • A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor
  • A second handgrip.
  • A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
  • The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.

So what I am thinking now is I can have it with a short rail that does NOT cover the barrel entirely that does NOT provide enough space to hold it. I know its a bitch sketchy but it DOES follow the laws.

Where am I going wrong here?

I read a thread on this here recently. What is stopping you is the AWB. Last I knew breaking the AWB in mass is generally a felony (don't quote me on that).

I also seem to recall that in Mass there is a weight restriction on an AR pistol. 50 oz max as I recall.

Johnson should move to new Hampster.

Basically. If you want an AR Pistol (with Sig Brace) move to a free'er state than Mass.

If you don't want to leave Mass, then submit a Form 1 to make an SBR. If your CoP in Mass won't sign off, spend the money to make an NFA trust.

Alright, well I don't have to put the sig brace on. That wasn't so much the question as its more of "why couldn't I build a (really light weight) AR pistol here? There are legal ways to build them that I know of, I just don't know if I can manufacture one from and 80%.

Alright, well I don't have to put the sig brace on. That wasn't so much the question as its more of "why couldn't I build a (really light weight) AR pistol here? There are legal ways to build them that I know of, I just don't know if I can manufacture one from and 80%.

Johnson is going to jail.

Weld the magazine to the reciever. AWB states semi auto pistols with a detachable magazine

Build a SBR

Johnson forgot about the 50oz unloaded weight.

Used to be the toughest part to get around, but with a lot more plastic lowers on the market, it might
be doable.

Whether you build from an 80% or 100% the final product still needs to be AWB compliant. It's not easy (read: practical) to do.

Johnson forgot about the 50oz unloaded weight.

Used to be the toughest part to get around, but with a lot more plastic lowers on the market, it might
be doable.

You'll save about 7 ounces if you go with a polymer lower and polymer fire-control parts. It's still not enough to get the complete gun under 50 oz. (I tried.)

Last edited:
See, the thing with 9mm is that the buffer and lower are MUCH heavier than 5.56 so you will never be able to build a 9mm AR pistol under 50 oz. The buffer itself is 8-12 oz so you are already screwed.

Wouldn't a bullet button solve the detachable magazine issue? It does out in Cali if I'm not mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well if its a .22 its hardly an "ar pistol" its just a creature that looks like one now.

I read it as "and 2 parts" so the receiver magazine is fine if it has no other points on it which is doable. Bull barrel, nothing over the barrel and viola, its an AWB compliant AR pistol. Something from say, an ares 80% poly lower with some sort of ultra lightweight upper with a 4" bull barrel SHOULD be legal, no?

No handguard
No thread
Magazine goes into its normal place
Weight is under 50oz somewhere

That is legal?

If you can make it under 50 ounces and not violate any of the AWB prohibitions, then you are legal.

I don't see the attraction of a 9mm AR with a 4" barrel. What's the advantage over, say, a Glock 19?

And the 80% receiver doesn't add any benefit over a 100% receiver that was never built as a rifle. The advantage of an 80% receiver only comes in if you don't plan on filing an FA-10, at which point you may as well just build a regular AR pistol and not tell anybody about it.

Not that I recommend that route.

I happen to mfg magazine locks in stainless steel if this helps and also have 80% Lowers for sale as well.

If I can be of help em or pm me.

It looks like this installed.
JojoARWML2.jpg

Last edited:
Well I only mention 80% because I figured I couldn't get a pistol designated lower shipped here so why not just make my own. Why go this route instead of a glock? Because it would be neat to have some unusual creature. Its a hypothetical thread not an "ALRIGHT GIVE ME A WEEK AND WE'LL HAVE IT" thread. I just want to understand the laws/gray zones better here.

You don't need a pistol designated lower. If your transferring FFL knows what they are doing, they write up an AR15 lower as 'other' on the 4473, and it can be either a pistol or a rifle (in most states, anyway).

And I can respect building something just because you want to.

I didn't know that about receivers. I tried to buy one when I was 18 but my FFL didn't let me because of this but I didn't quite understand it. Now that I am 21 I can own pistols (redundant information).

I didn't know that about receivers. I tried to buy one when I was 18 but my FFL didn't let me because of this but I didn't quite understand it. Now that I am 21 I can own pistols (redundant information).

Probably because an AR is large cap, whether a pistol or a rifle, and you can't have that with an FID.

I have a ar pistol in .223 if anyone wants to see pics. it has a locked mag that holds 10 rounds and its dammed loud.

Uses a pistol buffer tube.

The only reason my pistol has a 10 round mag locked in place is state law.

Outside of the state im in at the moment could use my 100 rnd beta mag.

I know I cant but dont know your state or local laws so talk to a firearms attorney and dont rely on a local ffl / gun dealer unless they can back up their words with law.

Also built a FAL pistol with a locked in 10 round mag its even louder tha. the ar15 5.55 pistol.
Well there is another question here then, If I lock the magazine, can it be a preban magazine? Could I lock a 30 round magazine?

Last edited:
Another for the whole 'detachable' magazine thing. The only problem is there is zero case law in mass about what's detachable and what's not.... welding in place you are probably good. Bullet buttons.... May lead to prison depending on cop, prosecutors, judge....

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

So the law does not define detachable use state of californias definition..

If they are vague also write the AG and ask for a AGO.

Also link me to your awb ?

Another for the whole 'detachable' magazine thing. The only problem is there is zero case law in mass about what's detachable and what's not.... welding in place you are probably good. Bullet buttons.... May lead to prison depending on cop, prosecutors, judge....

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

I don't see the attraction of a 9mm AR with a 4" barrel. What's the advantage over, say, a Glock 19?

Probably cool factor/novelty firearm, no more no less. We all have crazy ideas about building stuff even if it makes no sense, it's just fun.

Back
Top Bottom