Johnson wants to build an AR pistol in communist taxachusettes

Ill make some phone calls as I remember a guy on calguns that made these things or just create a account there and post a want ad...

Its just a simple machine screw / bolt in a strip of steel..

No need to weld a mag in a receiver as in most states there is no requirement to have a locked mag in a pistol build...from memory..

Since the 1994 ban sunseted for most states.

Sorry I thought I sent you in the correct direction....Ill make a call asap.
I would make a AK pistol i would in a heartbeat.. but dont know any ideas other than to weld on the 30rd mag...

I dont know of a company that makes non removeable via allen or star screwed in magwell...?

I do not think a Cali bullet button applies to the MA AWB. I was always under the impression fixed magazine meant permanently fixed.

The problem is that there is ZERO case law about what a fixed mag is. So it all comes down to who sees you useing it and what kind of mood they are in. A case can made for anything that requires a tool to remove it is legal, but a prosecutor can make a case (and a judge can trash your life) for anything that can be removed with a thermite torch.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Ill make some phone calls as I remember a guy on calguns that made these things or just create a account there and post a want ad...

Its just a simple machine screw / bolt in a strip of steel..

No need to weld a mag in a receiver as in most states there is no requirement to have a locked mag in a pistol build...from memory..

Since the 1994 ban sunseted for most states.

Sorry I thought I sent you in the correct direction....Ill make a call asap.

Welding may be a bit much.

And a bullet button may not be enough.

But there are plenty of ways to secure a mag into an AK that would meed the "reasonable man" concept of a fixed magazine.
I can immediately think of one way, which would require you to remove teh paddle mag release and replace it with something that could not be reached unless the top dust cover was removed.
This is an obviously fixed mag since its at least as difficult to remove as the mag in such classics as the Mosin Nagant or Remington 700.

But there are plenty of ways to secure a mag into an AK that would meed the "reasonable man" concept of a fixed magazine.
I can immediately think of one way, which would require you to remove teh paddle mag release and replace it with something that could not be reached unless the top dust cover was removed.
This is an obviously fixed mag since its at least as difficult to remove as the mag in such classics as the Mosin Nagant or Remington 700.

In this state, the definition would just as likely end up shifting to include the Mosin Nagant magazine as detachable as anything else. Lol

From about 1985 to 2000 I was a 03sot and 01 ffl ao yes I know the forms and procedures..

i'm late to the party, but this is why you got "messed with". even 03s are subject to inspection by the ATF, 01s definitely are.

manufacturing/owning/etc. NFA items does not carry any of those fun things, being a FFL does.

i'm late to the party, but this is why you got "messed with". even 03s are subject to inspection by the ATF, 01s definitely are.

manufacturing/owning/etc. NFA items does not carry any of those fun things, being a FFL does.

03s aren't subject to the same inspections. There are no "office hours" so they can't do a spot inspection of your premises.

The ATF must make an appointment with an 03, and even then you have the option of bringing everything to your nearest friendly ATF office for review. You do not need to let them into your house.

Most people don't bother though. You just bring your book and inventory to your kitchen table for their inspection. The meeting begins and ends at your kitchen table.

With all that said, I don't actually know any 03s who have ever been inspected.

The item that is said to be on the way is not a bullet button as with that device the mags can be dropped but with the use of a tool as california law requires..

This device is a simple lock that requires the use of a allen wrench to remove the lock and then the magazine can be removed..

The device I sell for AR15 style rifles & Pistols I call it the MAG-LOCK® also locks the magazine in place but is also not a bullet button type of device...

I sell this MAG-LOCK® for 40.00 plus shipping.
JojoARWML2.jpg

Last edited:
The item that is said to be on the way is not a bullet button as with that device the mags can be dropped but with the use of a tool as california law requires..

This device is a simple lock that requires the use of a allen wrench to remove the lock and then the magazine can be removed..

The device I sell for AR15 style rifles & Pistols I call it the MAG-LOCK® also locks the magazine in place but is also not a bullet button type of device...

JojoARWML2.jpg

Reminds me of the ARMaglock but from the looks of it, Mag-lock is cheaper in price.

With all that said, I don't actually know any 03s who have ever been inspected.

Several years ago there was a huge wave where most of the 03s got audited/inspected. Most described it as painless.

-Mike

That makes sense since 03s have two options that "real" FFLs don't have.

1) Telling the ATF that they can see them a week from next tuesday.
2) Declining the request to come to their house and instead having the sit down at the local ATF office.

I'm not sure.

Speculation to follow: I believe that they only typically want to see the bound book for 03s. But I also believe that the GCA of 68 doesn't distinguish between dealers/importers/manufacturers and collectors.

I'd have to look at the test of the Act.

FYI - although it doesn't have much 03 specific info here is an FAQ on inspections: https://www.atf.gov/publications/factsheets/factsheet-ffl-compliance.html

You remembered me?

I need to make a thread asking about SBRs soon. I have so many stupid questions. Is there just a "stupid questions" thread?

dcmdon it better have been made in 1941. In a factory.

Coolness/novelty factor aside, if anyone really does want to build/buy/own an AR or AK style pistol, they might want to
consider it sooner rather than later. The BATF might have backed off the M855/S109 crap for now, but failing in that, there's still a very good chance there will
be a move to legislatively reclassify "assault pistols" as NFA firearms. Even if it never happens, just the mere mention of it will set off a panic buying spree on currently manufactured ones and the parts needed to build one.
A "a move to legislatively reclassify "assault pistols" as NFA firearms" would require the national legislature to pass a new law, which isn't going to happen anytime before the 2016 elections. So no rush.

Wikipedia says the 93r was derived from the 92 pistol.

The*Beretta 93R*is a*selective fire*machine pistol, designed and manufactured by Italian*firearms*manufacturer*Beretta*in the 1970s for police and military use, that is derived from their semi-automatic*Beretta 92. The "R" stands for*Raffica, which is Italian for "volley", "flurry", or "burst".

I know the 93r was derived from the 92, but under Massprudence, does that now make 92's retroactively classified as semi-auto versions of automatic weapons?

Anywhere else, I would say No...but here in the People's Republic of Massachusetts, one cannot be sure.

Do I take that to mean you open carry in Mass since it is your right within the law?

No. But I don't use a trigger lock on any of my guns, don't put locks on my gun cases when I transport my "large capacity" firearms because I have a trunk, and am not afraid to drive home with my shotgun in the passenger seat (open and empty) so it can dry after a day out hunting.

And I certainly would not even give one thought to a Beretta 92 or a Glock 17 being an AW because automatic firearms were derived from them.

For example.

Further statements like this:

I know the 93r was derived from the 92, but under Massprudence, does that now make 92's retroactively classified as semi-auto versions of automatic weapons?

Anywhere else, I would say No...but here in the People's Republic of Massachusetts, one cannot be sure.

Do nothing but spread ridiculous fear, uncertainty, and doubt to those who may be new firearms owners or aren't up on the laws.

Don

Last edited:
Don, The problem is that we have laws as they are written, but it is what a LEO, Prosecutor, or Judge THINKS these laws mean that matters. In the case of these semi-auto handguns, it is not that far of a stretch to think that one of these individuals (most likely the prosecutor) could claim that because an automatic version exists, the original models now meet the definitions of "Semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm"

Just like no one can tell for sure what happens if you permanently cripple a standard capacity magazine to meet the 10 round limit, is that legal? Unfortunately, there is a lot of gray area in how these rules, regulations, and laws are interpreted, and with the political climate of Massachusetts being very trigger happy (pun intended) to revoke a sacred right on some very asinine interpretations that conflict with plain language readings of the law, caution is mandated.

Don, The problem is that we have laws as they are written, but it is what a LEO, Prosecutor, or Judge THINKS these laws mean that matters. In the case of these semi-auto handguns, it is not that far of a stretch to think that one of these individuals (most likely the prosecutor) could claim that because an automatic version exists, the original models now meet the definitions of "Semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm"

Just like no one can tell for sure what happens if you permanently cripple a standard capacity magazine to meet the 10 round limit, is that legal? Unfortunately, there is a lot of gray area in how these rules, regulations, and laws are interpreted, and with the political climate of Massachusetts being very trigger happy (pun intended) to revoke a sacred right on some very asinine interpretations that conflict with plain language readings of the law, caution is mandated.

Spot on!!

The last 3 days I was tied up with preparing to testify in court on a criminal gun case, trying to educate a public defender who knows nothing about firearms and finally testifying (yesterday). It was a real eye-opener wrt the ignorance of the laws whether intentional or unintentional (ADA, etc.). I plan on writing something up about it in my Training sub-forum, but it won't be today. I have some work to do and then I'm teaching my MA Gun Law Seminar this afternoon-evening.

Back
Top Bottom