• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Interested in a lever-action rifle

I've been thinking about getting a lever action rifle for some time and I have seen a few for relatively short money. However, they were all chambered in 30-30 and I am not sure if that is the best caliber to get. I am also not sure of the price and availability of 30-30.

Any thoughts, pros or cons of going with 30-30?

Pro:
Any gun shop worth its salt will have that ammo in stock. It can take down any animal you bump into in NE. It's reliable as all heck and remember the model 94 was released in 1894 so they have the bugs worked out.

Con:
Mounting a scope can be tricky. I think it kicks like a mule, but that's just me. There are more efficient cartridges out there but they are rarer.

I've been thinking about getting a lever action rifle for some time and I have seen a few for relatively short money. However, they were all chambered in 30-30 and I am not sure if that is the best caliber to get. I am also not sure of the price and availability of 30-30.

Any thoughts, pros or cons of going with 30-30?

What do you want to use it for? I've been wanting a lever action for awhile and was focused more on the 30-30. However, I decided that, since I wasn't planning on hunting with it but rather just using it at the range, I would do better to get a .38/.357 so I went with a Marlin 1894. I have two .38 revolvers and am setup to reload .38, so it was a perfect fit. It's also ridiculously fun to plink with. I'd bet that a lever action chambered in a pistol caliber will follow you to the range much more often than one chambered in 30-30.

EDIT: Also, .38 out of a rifle has very little recoil. As such, my wife really likes shooting it. That can be a pro or a con, depending whether or not she feels like sharing. "Hold on, I'm just gonna shoot one more tube full.....okay, just one more tube....I promise, this is the last one....do we have another box of .38?"

Last edited:
What do you want to use it for? I've been wanting a lever action for awhile and was focused more on the 30-30. However, I decided that, since I wasn't planning on hunting with it but rather just using it at the range, I would do better to get a .38/.357 so I went with a Marlin 1894. I have two .38 revolvers and am setup to reload .38, so it was a perfect fit. It's also ridiculously fun to plink with. I'd bet that a lever action chambered in a pistol caliber will follow you to the range much more often than one chambered in 30-30.
What he said.

My father hunts with a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem.
I like the gun personally but not sure it would fit you needs.
You can find them around used at the shops quite often.

I have a Marlin 336W in 30-30 and really like it. Fun to shoot, kicks a lot, so far reliable. I had a scope mounted but removed it to shoot with the iron sights which is fun too!

I have a marlin 1894c in .357mag/.38 special. Ammo is cheap and you can shoot all day without getting a sore shoulder. Also like ochmude, my wife loves shooting it.
Another bonus is during the winter you can shoot it at indoor ranges which would be impossible for most rifle calibers.

Last edited:
I am not a hunter so it would be used mainly for plinking. I only have one gun chambered in .38 and I don't shoot it much. All others are either .380, .40 or .45.

For plinking get a .38 or 357 carbine. Much nicer to shoot and much cheaper than .30-30

If it is just for plinking you could get one in .22 and save alot of money.

I've been going back and forth on this question as well. I really want a lever action and I shoot my Dad's in 30-30 frequently. It is a lot of fun. Overall though, I don't hunt very often and I probably wouldn't use it for hunting anyway. I'm leaning more towards 38/357 or 44 mag.

One other thing to think of that's been hit on here already, but 30-30 is expensive. It's not going to be a cheap plinking round.

If you want *the* classic American lever action rifle, go with the Winchester model 94 in 30-30. You will not be disappointed.

The 30-30 is a great round within the limits of what it was designed to do. You will grow to realize why it has been so popular in America once you start shooting it. Accurate at short ranges, good knock-down power, easy shooting, etc.

Ideal candidate for reloading with inexpensive cast bullets too

Oh and News Shooter is onto something there with his recommendation for a Henry rifle.

I've always had a thing for THIS since they came out.

There's also a company...I think it's Wild West Guns (out of Alaska) that makes a .500S&W lever gun. I can't find the webpage for the gun I've seen, though.

Another vote for a Marlin 1894 in 357. Mine is one of my favorite guns to shoot. Its also inexpensive to reload for.

I've got a 336 in 30-30, an 1895GS guide gun in 45-70 and a Henry .22. Love them all and load for the 30-30 and 45-70, but I'm working on a .38/.357 just for the powder and lead savings, not to mention it would probably be the favorite rifle in the house for reasons stated above.

EDIT: Also, .38 out of a rifle has very little recoil. As such, my wife really likes shooting it. That can be a pro or a con, depending whether or not she feels like sharing. "Hold on, I'm just gonna shoot one more tube full.....okay, just one more tube....I promise, this is the last one....do we have another box of .38?"

All of the above. Plus, if you want to, I believe .357 Magnum lever rifles ARE used for hunting deer, and would be good to put down a raccoon or woodchuck if you wanted as well. That said, I like the Henry rifles. If you want something smaller, the "Golden Boy" looks pretty good. It really just feels nice to cycle one. If you tried it, you'd buy it.

I have a couple Marlins, a 1894 in 38/357 and one in 41 magnum. The 38/357 is a pleasure to shoot and inexpensive as compared to the one I have that shoots 41 mag. Fortunately I reload and that saves some money but for all around plinking, go with the 38/357 and you'll be happy.

I have a Browning BLR in 243 winchester. Its an ok gun but not the right platform for the caliber. Its too pretty for a lever gun in my opinion. Lever guns are work dogs. 243 winchester sure does a nice job on coyotes and woodchucks though.

30-30 is one of the more affordable calibers for rifle ammo. 30-30 can be reloaded with cast bullets and black powder for some fun, albeit smokey, plinking.

Want:
DSC02820.JPG

.30-30 does not have bad recoil. I have shot lever action in .30-30, .30-06, .35 Rem. & .444 Marlin & .45-70. .35 Rem is the easiest for recoil and the .30-30 is right behind it.

ETA: We have a Marlin 336 in .30-30 here.

Thanks everyone. It seems to me that I should be looking for a .38/.357 rifle instead of 30-30. The cost of ammo would be a problem and since I already have a setup to reload .40 and .45, adding .38 would not be all that much more expensive.

four seasons in woburn has a 1894 in .357. i was going to buy it the other day but was there to pick up a handgun. at least i'll know it will go to a fellow NES member. the rifle was in really great shape.

Back
Top Bottom